yarn purchases for year two

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • Author
      judy
      Participant

Thanks, Jane, for the information on what yarns we will need to purchase this year.  However, when I total all those lovely cones of colour, I see that we will need 41.  This seems to be a lot.  You talk about stashbusters– so I’m wondering if all of these need to be full cones.  Like most of us I’m sure, I have lots of partial cones and would love to be able to use some of those.

I am new to the guild and love what I’ve seen so far– it’s just what I need to regenerate after 20 years of weaving.

saddleblankets
        Participant

Jane, when you mentioned using other yarns you didn’t mention Tencel. Is this a yarn we can also use?

Ginette
          Keymaster

Hi Judy, you could make shorter warps.  Jane suggest 8 yard warps with the kits so you can weave the base sample and weave extra samples with other fibres, colours from your stash and such, but a shorter warp would work as well.  You could weigh your partial cones to determine approximately how much yardage you have left of each.

Ginette

Sandra
            Keymaster

The list of yarns Jane sent us has some of the same colours in different samples, with varying amounts.  You would only need one cone of each of those colours or could change it up with your stash.  I think it would be useful to keep the same flow of colour in the 2 colour gamps, however some of the other samples could invite you to switch it up.  All you need for the Colour and Weave gamp is enough of one dark and one light in your stash (3 cones each) to show it’s magic.  If you look at each sample as Jane holds it up, Episode 2.1.2 starting at 7.08 in the video, you will be able to get a better idea of each colour and amount in that sample, and then eye your stash with that in mind.  After we have woven the initial sample that Jane holds up first in each set, she takes off in different directions – using the same warp but different colours, fibres, sets, etc. – I’m looking forward to using my stash to play with the rest of each warp.  I hope I’m making sense 😉  Like you – I have a well aged stash that needs to be pulled off the shelf – luckily it doesn’t have a “best before date”!

Korina
              Participant

So, I thought the same as you and went and added all the yarns to a cart to see what the price would be.  Was just curious but it wasn’t as bad as I thought (especially compared to swedish cotton!)

My thinking is if I bought them all up front then I would actually save quite a bit on shipping.  However, the beauty is you don’t have to do any of the samples, or do one, or do one now and then another one next year.  My other thought was…its still a lot cheaper than travel and lodging for a weeklong retreat at any of the weaving schools.  (I don’t know about you, I still would love to go, but I would also probably scare the bejeebies out of everyone showing up in my pajamas and slippers!)

Maureen Janda
                Participant

Sorry, but where is the list of year 2 projects and yarn requirements?

Sandra
                  Keymaster

That information is in the email Jane sent out on Monday.

Ian
                      Participant

I’ve only just joined the Online Guild and haven’t received an email about yarns for year 2. How can I find out?

Maureen Janda
                      Participant

Got it, thanks. I had put it aside to read later 😮

Sandra
                        Keymaster

If you haven’t seen it already – check out Jane’s response to a question about yarn for this year’s samples under the thread – “Buying yarns for the kits.”  It might answer some of your questions.

Sandra
                          Keymaster

I’m cutting and pasting a portion of Jane’s email so you have it over the weekend, to give you some idea of what you’ll need and give you time to check your stash.  I’ll ask about getting that email out to new members on Monday when Jane’s techie wizard is in the Studio.

“The list below will allow you to go through your stash and see if you have any of these colours kicking around and you can then just buy what you are missing or the entire kit if you need it. They are all 1/2 lb cones with 1680 yards per cone but remember some colours are used in small amounts in one sample and large amounts in others. At this time I’m not giving you all the drafts because I am reworking them in more depth seeing you’re not walking into my studio and sitting at my looms where everything is all prepared for you.

Sample #1 1 each of Black, Grey, Light Grey, Red, White
                            Sample #2 3 Navy, 3 Natural, 1 Apricot
                            Sample #3. 1 each of Apricot, Pale Orange, Hot Pink, Fuchsia, Peacock, Navy
                            Sample #4 1 each of Red, Olive, Gold, Purple, Fuchsia
                            Sample #5 1 each of Lemon, Butter, Nile and Pale Limette
                            Sample #6 1 each Black, Lemon, Orange, Red, Light Purple, Royal, Emerald
                            Sample #7 1 each Natural, Gold, Cayenne, Raspberry, Dark Purple, Navy, Olive

I use a #12 dent reed and a #8 dent reed for all the sampling.”

Fran
                              Participant

I agree it would have been helpful to know the expected supplies ahead of enrolling.  This is not a miscellaneous entry.

Ginette
                                  Keymaster

Hi Fran,

The weave along is optional.

This course is such a wealth of information on Colour & Design that Jane is teaching through the episodes without weaving the samples.  Members will have an amazing foundation to help them come up with their own colour & design patterns/ideas by watching the lessons.  Supplies are not necessary.

If there’s a sample that jumps out at you and you want to try, the PDFs will be available for download with each episode it’s presented in.  It doesn’t have to be 2/8 cotton, see what you have in your stash.

We’ll be setting up in the forum a topic for each sample so members can show us what they’ve woven with what they have learned.  I’m looking forward to see how they put their own designs in cloth as scarves, shawls, samples….  There’s so many possibilities.

Hope this helps

Ginette

Tara
                                Participant

It’s just not in my budget to buy the yarn needed for the kits. I will get what I can from just the videos.

Sandra
                                  Keymaster

Hi Tara – that’s the beauty of Jane’s Online Guild – you can adapt it to suit your needs, weave no samples, make samples out of your stash, combine your stash with purchased stash, choose which sample you would like to explore this year and save the rest for another time or ……………….  Anyway we do it, we’ll all learn so much!

Korina
                                    Participant

I just did some odd math on shipping.  Definitely ordering the samples yarn all at once, doing that actually about pays for a new reed.  I have 6 dent, 12, 15.  Of course I don’t have an eight.  I also need to order new texsolv heddles for my Glimakra, they are currently old hand tied ones and are about 10 inches.  And there is about 500 of them and I have plans for weaving very very fine linen, so need about 2500.  And then there are 4 more shafts and then a countermarch unit…and then a draw loom.

And this was supposed to help me use up knitting yarn! BWAHAHAAAA…

Sandra
                                      Keymaster

Korina – welcome to the slippery slope called weaving 😁.

Susan Henry
                                        Participant

Quick question: Is the yarn for Project 2 unmercerized cotton (2/8)? I thought on Jane’s intro video, when she was talking about each of the projects, she had said the second project was Shetland wool. For those of us ordering supplies from local weaving stores in the U.S., it would be helpful to note which fiber and brand being used for each project.

Thank you!

Ginette
                                            Keymaster

Hi Susan,

All of the base samples use unmercerized 2/8 cotton.  Did you receive the email with the list that was sent out on January 22nd?

Ginette

• This reply was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by Ginette.
                                            Maureen Janda
                                            Participant

I finally finished watching Episode 1 and I’m so excited about this year’s content. As a newish weaver, I’m in much the same boat as Korina regarding lack of stash. I have just a few cones of 3 primary and 3 secondary colors I bought to do a color gamp, which isn’t much choice of yarns to use on the 8 yard warp after I’ve done the weave along sample.
                                              Compared to other sources of yarn on the web, Jane’s prices are quite competitive, especially if you spend enough to qualify for free shipping, so I plan to buy the first two or three kits together and then add few half cones of 8/2 cotton in other colors and maybe other textures or fiber so that I have a variety to experiment with. As someone else said on the forum, this guild costs much less than attending a workshop in person, so I can justify buying more yarn.
                                              I dream of being able to create projects like some of the gorgeous examples Jane held up in this episode. I just don’t have her skill with color, so I’m trying to decide what to get. Decisions, decisions.

Geraldine
                                              Participant

Hi Jane I have sent you an email about ordering sample kits and having them posted to sister in Canada. I live in uk but will be visiting her later this year. I’m unsure that the email was actually sent as nothing seemed to happen when I pressed send. Could you contact me on hrgrvgr@btinternet.com so I know you received it. Thanks Geri

Jane
                                                  Keymaster

I sent you an email today Geri 🙂

Melissa
                                                  Participant

I would love to start each of the samples with the yarns to match the project on the videos.  And then work on the remainder of the warp experimenting with other yarns and colors of weft.  I understand the point of being creative and experimental, but I don’t have the confidence yet to start entirely randomly.  What I’m finding is that my “local” yarn shop (actually the next state over) carries Brassard cotton but the names don’t necessarily match.  For those of us in the states, would it be possible to get Brassard’s color numbers for the yarns used in the samples?

Thank you for considering.

Jane
                                                      Keymaster

Hi Melissa,

You can certainly buy your Online Guild course yarn from other retailers.  We won’t love you any less- well, maybe a tiny bit less.  Sort of like the love for a middle child. LOL.

However, the online guild filming as well as the JST forum are funded by yarn sales from JST. Membership and yarn sales are our only source of income :).  I know you’ll understand if we don’t provide this information.

Cheers,

Jane

Melissa
                                                      Participant

Absolutely-I understand-thank you.  I wish the shipping wasn’t such a difference.  Actually, I wish I was closer so I could come look and buy in person! I’ll look at the order again and see if I can make it work.

Melissa
                                                        Participant

Now I really feel stupid.  For some reason I didn’t think the free shipping applied to the US, but it does.  So I got everything on the list that was in stock.  I’ll just have to make Sue with the few I’m missing. Thank you for your patience.

Viewing 19 reply threads
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.