Wool warping worries…

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Ed Chapman
      Participant

I recently completed a Harrisville Shetland wool blanket in double weave at 12 epi. Then blanket finished wonderfully and was a joy to weave. The double weave warp meant that I had to wind on the warp at 24 epi through the raddle on my Louet Spring. This meant 4 ends per slot on the raddle, and the maximum width my Spring could handle- about 35 inches.  The wool fought me every foot of the way and I broke 4 threads before finishing. The ends would catch each other at the front of the raddle and try to pull neighbors through the wrong slot. If I went to fast they would break. Obviously crowded ends…

I warp alone. I have had no problems warping cottolin and finer yarns onto the Spring using textbooks as weights, dragging the warp across the carpet. This warp was A LOT of wool.

Should I buy a new raddle with 1/2 inch slots and clamp it onto the top of the castle to give the ends more space? Is so, whose raddle should I buy? Ironically I just sold an Ashford raddle along with a table loom last month. Ugh.

Ginette
        Keymaster

Hi Ed,

I know what you mean!  I actually kept my raddle when I passed on my fanny (my weaver friend had one already) and use it on my David loom when I’m using thicker yarns, it’s 45″ wide but I get it clamped on there!  Jane talks about attaching a raddle on the top of the loom in the dressing your loom episode when you’re using thicker yarns and you need wider slots.  Have you thought of building one?

Ginette

Ed Chapman
          Participant

I am going to build one… and thinking of TWO rows of nails instead of one to make a channel rather than a slot… what do you folks think??Screen Shot 2018-02-12 at 5.48.14 PM

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • The forum ‘Season 1 – Foundation’ is closed to new topics and replies.