Winding with 5 threads

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      rooneymt
      Participant

Good day….I have made huge progress with my winding skills. I’m now able to wind 4 threads at a time on my warping board. I’m doing season 2’s gamp sample. I’m up to the part where you wind 5 threads at one time, DDLLL. I can’t find where Jane showed 5 threads. Does she hold two DD’s together in one finger and then use the other three fingers to separate the LLL? That’s what I plan on doing but just wondering if there’s a better method. Thanks for everything!

Sandra
        Keymaster

Others have asked the same question and you’ll find answers as well as photos of Jane’s hand holding 5 threads – under the Forum thread Warping with multiple ends. Good luck with your warp!

The Forum itself is becoming a great resource so that we can sometimes find answers to questions without having to wait for someone else to pitch in with an answer.  It’s becoming the resource that Jane hoped it would become 😀

• This reply was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by Sandra.
          rooneymt
          Participant

I searched the forum and indexes and couldn’t find it. I click on your link and I get an error that Safari can’t open the link. Maybe I’m not searching the forum correctly but when I use key words I still can’t find it. All I find is my post. Maybe it’s the hot weather but this is rather frustrating navigating this forum and finding info. Shouldn’t I find the topic you mentioned by typing “warping with multiple ends” in the search bar?????

rooneymt
            Participant

I finally found the photo I was looking for. It seems like searching for topics is extremely sensitive to wording. For instance when I search for “winding with multiple threads” it sends you off to all these other topics that I’m not looking for. When I’m searching for something I’m not always sure which exact words to use. If I use “ends” I find it but if I use “threads” I don’t. I wish things were more user friendly. Thank you….

Sandra
              Keymaster

I’ve relinked the thread I was referring to in my previous post. It works on my computer, hopefully it will on yours. I also searched the Forum using the words “warping with multiple threads” and a number of Q&As came up on the subject. Partway down the list you will see Jane’s hand in two photos – holding the 5 threads. Hopefully, you can find that now – I know a picture is really worth 1,000 words. Happy warping.

I will pass on your concerns about the Forum Search function on to our computer guru when the Studio opens on Salt Spring Island tomorrow. Today is a holiday in a lot of Canada – it’s BC Day here in my home province 🙂

rooneymt
                Participant

Happy BC Day to you!! I hope you are enjoying your holiday…but you shouldn’t be at work!! 🙂 I did find the photo and yes….a photo is worth a thousand words! Thanks so much. I’ll try to hone my search skills. It’s just difficult sometimes when I’m not certain what I’m searching for :)) At least this time I was glad my question wasn’t something I missed on Jane’s video’s!

I just successfully wound my first 5 end winding! I may be a slow beginner…but I’m definitely a very advance beginner now! :)) Just a few weeks ago I was struggling with how the heck to wind with two ends and I remember telling my girlfriend there’s no way I will ever do those 4 ends! :)))

I’ll have my warp wound soon and then on to warping in onto the loom. Using Jane’s technique with the raddle on top and using weights works sooooo well for warping the back beam! The next challenge for me will be threading this gamp. I think I’m prepared but that’s usually when I’m most dangerous! :))

Thanks again for the help….and patience….it really is appreciated!!

Sandra
                    Keymaster

Thank you for letting me know that you were successful!  You are lucky to be starting to weave with Jane “by your side”.  Some of us had a lot of unlearning to do when Jane came into our lives  👉 (finger pointing at me).  I was struggling in some areas – warping was the biggest one – and Jane’s approach is so easy and straight forward, I’ve never warped another way since I attended her first workshop.  Don’t worry about me – holidays don’t have the same urgency since I’ve retired 😉

Viewing 5 reply threads
                • The forum ‘Season 2 – Colour & Design’ is closed to new topics and replies.