Winding on

Tagged: ,

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Ginny
      Participant

How do you judge when to stop winding on so there is sufficient (but not too much) warp to thread the heddles, reed, and tie on?  I consistently leave too much.

Ginny

nc345
        Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Do you mean the length of your warp? If so, you tie a guide string the length you want. For ex: 5 yard string wound around your board or mill. I was told to add a wee bit for the tie on both ends.</p>
          or do you mean ends? That you count at the cross.

jane explains in the guild episodes. Worth joining if you haven’t. I’m on season 2 and still replay everything because I’m error prone.

Ginny
          Participant

Perhaps I am using the wrong terminology but I am referring to winding the warp onto the back beam. How do I judge when to stop winding so the warp threads aren’t too long after I thread the heddles, Reed, then tie on to the front bar?

• This reply was modified 4 years, 4 months ago by Ginny.
            rooneymt
            Participant

If you watch Season 1 you will have that question plus much more answered! Specifically watch Episode 1 & 2 for Season 1. I’m assuming you are a member? You question is a little confusing. Perhaps you haven’t watched any of the video’s? Jane’s video’s pertain more info than you can get with most classes that are taught! 🙂

There are different ways to warp on a loom. The most common method is back to front which is what Jane teaches. On winding the back beam, you wind it all the way up to the beam. For the next step will be to thread the heddles. And to do that grab your threads, release the brake on the rear beam and pull the threads out as far as  you want. After threading the heddles you do the same thing when slaying the reed.

I cannot emphasize enough to watch her video’s in episodes 1 & 2. You can also google how to warp a loom from back to front and get an idea how it’s done. Before I found this online guild, that’s what I was doing….but trust me, you will not find anything as thorough as the video’s that Jane does. For that matter, you can’t even buy video’s that are as thorough as Jane’s. All video’s show you how to do something if everything is going perfect. But this isn’t a perfect world and Jane actually takes you through the “real” experience.

Hope this helps…do you have a loom yet or are you just thinking of getting one? I hope you delve into this most fascinating craft!!! So easy to do…yet sooooooo much to learn!!! 🙂

nc345
              Participant

After doing a search on the internet, Louise French says to wind warp onto back beam until the front of the warp is at the Breast beam. That should be good length  for threading, denting, the tying onto the apron rod.

This question was floating in the back of my mind so thanks! If anyone else has even better advice— chime in!

Ginny
                Participant

Thank you.  Very helpful!

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • The forum ‘Season 1 – Foundation’ is closed to new topics and replies.