Winding a warp with 2 alternate colours

Forums Weaving Discussion Winding a warp with 2 alternate colours

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Mary Godfrey
      Participant

Do you have any tips for winding a warp for a double cloth with alternating colours  (ABABAB…) to keep them in the right order and prevent introducing twist? thank you

Sandra
        Keymaster

Hi Mary, wind your two colours together, they will go through the cross as a pair and then you can separate them easily when you thread your heddles.  It’s done all the time and Jane can wind a warp with 5 threads in her hand!

Ed Chapman
          Participant

Multiple-thread warping was a real game changer for me. I routinely warp 4 threads at a time now, which cuts my time at the warping board by 75%. I also have noticed, especially with cottolin, that groups of 4 threads behave much better passing through the raddle on my Spring loom than they do singly. When I thread heddles, I take each quartet , free them from the lease sticks, and separate them by sighting all the way back to the warp beam. This does take some time, but a bad twist or even a braid is possible if you are not careful.

Mary Godfrey
            Participant

Thanks ED. I have a theory, as yet unproven, that if I arrange the threads (in this case only 2) so that one passes between my little and fourth finger, and the other between my fourth and middle fingers, and I keep them in the correct order while I make the warp, they will remain in the same correct order throughout the whole length of the warp, without twisting. I have just made my double weave warp this way and threaded the heddles, and it looks as if I am right, but I will only know once I start weaving. The threads were in pairs in the lease sticks but I didn’t fuss about it as they just seemed to present in the correct order most of the time.

So if that works for 2 threads, it should work for 4 as long as each thread is passed between the same two fingers while making the warp.

I’ll let you know.

Mary

Ed Chapman
              Participant

Mary…

You can watch if the threads are different colors…. If you don’t add twist you’ll be fine. I keep the threads in order with my right hand as they feed off the spools, and place them on the warp board with my left. I don’t know how to explain it, but you can lay them down in the same order. If they don’t twist on my feed hand they can’t twist in my placing hand. Works for me.

Mary Godfrey
                Participant

Thank you again Ed. I found a video demonstration of someone doing just that, and although it initially looks complicated, I can see exactly how it works, so will try that next time I warp up.

dianeg537
                  Participant

Hi Mary,  can you share the video link?   I’m getting ready to wind a warp with two alternate colors that I will warp in random stripes on the loom  and would like to wind them together on the warping board.  Thanks, Diane

Mary Godfrey
                    Participant

Hi Diane

This is the video I found on the web, which is for 4 or 5 threads at a time. For my project I was making my warp from 3cm blocks (72 ends per block) of alternating colours. So I simply tied on the new pair of threads when changing colours for the next block.

However, the technique of holding the threads is the same for 2, 3, 4, 5 threads.

I hope it helps! She is called Melissa Weaver-Dunning

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.