Winding a striped warp

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Kristen Linea
      Participant

Hello Jane Stafford Team,

I am designing a striped warp for towels and realized I do not know how to do this on the warping board and can’t find info about it. (tying on/off new colors with changing amounts of ends, affecting the tensioning while doing this and if I have multiple loops and strings, how to then put it on to the apron rod. Through all the loops?…and so on). I’ve found written directions, some with great pictures online, but the directions are confusing to me. When changing colors, some say to wrap around adjacent pegs to wait to pick up the color again, some say to cut and tie on next color. etc. I could use a video but cannot find one. There seems to be a few different ways to achieve a multi striped warp but wanted to ask the guild first.

Thanks so much for your help,

Kristen from PA

Ginette
        Keymaster

Hi Kristen,

Have a look at this video where Jane demonstrates using different colours and how to tie on the change. The way Jane shows, it won’t affect any tension. (just adding, she’s using just 2 colours but the concept is the same 😉 )

https://janestaffordtextiles.com/lesson/multiple-ends-in-your-warp/

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by Ginette.
          Kristen Linea
          Participant

Hi Ginette,

Thank you for your quick reply. I forged ahead before seeing your message. It was late, I was feeling courageous. This was what I did.  🙁 I’m sharing these photos in case other new weavers get into the same snag I did. I combined a few techniques from advice I managed to find online as you can see. I don’t think I did it right. I know this looks like a hot mess but I feel like getting it onto the loom is still doable. There is a lot of DIY to weaving I think! 🙂 Thank you for the video link reminder. I will go back and view Jane’s episode and try again tonight!

IMG_0923IMG_0922

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.