Width of project in the raddle

Forums Weaving Discussion Online Guild Discussion Season 1 – Foundation Width of project in the raddle

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Sheila
      Participant

My project width should be 21.85 inches at 22.5 EPI and 498 ends.  I have a Louet Jane with the built in raddle.  I’ve done this step twice now, with too wide or too narrow results.  I’m now at 20 inches in the raddle and wound it on.  Should I unwind and start over?  Or leave it?  How does the raddle step effect the out come?  Thank you so much for your help!

Jane
        Keymaster

Hi Sheila,
          Don’t touch it…it will be fine. The raddle’s only purpuose is to get your warp spread out evenly and close to the desired width. Your raddle is metric. There are 5 slots in each inch but when you measure across 3 inches you get an extra slot. Every 3 or 4 inches, I leave an empty slot and that helps is all even out. BUT……having your warp wound on 2″ narrower than it is in the reed will not affect your weaving in the least. Maybe if it was 6″ narrower on a little loom it would leave you with problems. If it was 6″ narrower on a big loom that has greater depth between the back and front….a 6″ difference wouldn’t be noticable. You are good to go! 🙂

Sheila
          Participant

Jane, thank you for getting back to me.  Much appreciated.  I also want to thank you for your online guild. I am learning so much from your video series. Seeing your demonstrations and having continous access to them is invaluable. Your generosity and encouragement as a teacher has helped me grow as a weaver. Looking forward to your next video!!

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.