wet finishing 8/2 cotton towels

Forums Weaving Discussion Online Guild Discussion Season 2 – Colour & Design wet finishing 8/2 cotton towels

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Jacqueline
      Participant

Hi Jane and team, you mentioned that you only handwash when wetfinishing.

Do you also handwash the cotton towels?  I want to put my first three in the washing machine at 40C or 60C with colourcatchers for the red stripe.    Please share your thoughts /advice on machine and temperature?

Thank you!

Jacqueline (feeling more free allready, after three towels did 7 samples with silk and other materials. Enough left on loom for two shawls depending on the result of wetfinishing those small samples, which I will do by hand as in your video.

Happy weaving!

Ginette
        Keymaster

Hi Jacqueline

I wash my newly hand woven tea towels in cold water in the washing machine.  If I need to use a colourcatcher, I still use cold water and it works great.

Wow you’ve done lots with the first sample warp!  Can’t wait to see pictures of them.

Maggie
          Participant

I wet finished my 8/2 cotton towels at 60 degrees in my washing machine, a front loader. I felt that as they were going to be used by the people I gave them to I had better treat them as they would be treated in future. As for the samples you are weaving in this guild I suppose it doesn’t matter if you will be keeping them to admire and remind you of the work you have done. I have never had any trouble with red running BUT there is always a first time!

I won’t be able to do any of the projects for a while yet. I have so many projects lined up to do before this and also a workshop coming up which sounds very interesting. It is all about breaking the rules of weaving and we have a variety of yarns we could warp with including acrylic or fishing line!! That will be on my Jane loom whilst my David is about to be warped with a cone of yarn I have had for a while for a blanket for my beautiful Hearing Dog. Luna.  She loves wool so I have to put all the yarn I have spun up out of the way or she cuddles up to it, hence the need for her own wool blanket. Then I may be able to think about these towels. Not the same colours though. I have to use stash as my finances won’t stretch to new cones of yarn at present. Cotton is very expensive here in the UK.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 11 months ago by Maggie. Reason: Edited to correct typos!
            • This reply was modified 2 years, 11 months ago by Maggie.
            Sandra
            Keymaster

Have fun at your workshop, Maggie and please, please post photos of Luna’s blanket when you finished it and before she starts to felt it 😉  We’ll be here when you start working through Colour and Design in your own time.

Jacqueline
              Participant

Hi, Here a picture of the sampling with different yarns, silk, cotton cotton boucle, etc. These I still have to wetfinish.

Proef1_3s

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.