Weaving with Tussah Silk

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Sandra 3 weeks, 4 days ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Sandra
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 27
    • Replies: 435
    • Totals: 462
    • Weaving wonder

It’s looking beautiful, Andrea!  I have some 22/2 Pedencal Tussah Silk from Sanjo waiting in the wings with some 20/2 Muga Silk waiting in the wings to weave a Colour and Weave Scarf.  I’m exceedingly lucky to have three of my favourite “candy” stores nearby to feed my habit 😉  Jane Stafford Textiles, Sanjo Silk and Maiwa Handprints (for natural dyes, etc.)

afpmello
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 1
    • Totals: 2
    • Weaving weeble

Thank you so much for the support Sandra! Perhaps I’ll try the first scarf at 18 and then widen the next. I am using a San Jo SilkIMG-20191024-WA0000

Sandra
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 27
    • Replies: 435
    • Totals: 462
    • Weaving wonder

I’ve woven with Tussah and I think it will soften when washed, BUT, it depends……. on how much the Tussah was processed before it was sold, how much Sericin was left on it, etc.  It’s impossible to give you a definitive answer without feeling and seeing the particular Tussah you are referring to and I’m assuming you aren’t referring to the JST Tussah.   There are many different ways that silk is processed, from very paper-like to being exquisitely drapey.  Whatever the end result – I’ll bet it will be magical!

afpmello
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 1
    • Totals: 2
    • Weaving weeble

Hello,

I am working on the log cabin scarf pattern that was circulated last week. I am using a 20/2 tussah silk with a 18 epi sett (2-2-1 12 dent reed).

It’s a raw silk so already a little stiff and when I release tension, it seems more papery than drapey. I wonder if others have suggestions on working with the raw tussah for garments – will it soften up or should I re-sley…at 16 maybe? Will it lose the pattern?

Thank you!

Andrea

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.