Weaving with 20/2 silk

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      kemurt
      Participant

Hi Jane,

I am loving the guild and learning so much with each video–thank you!

I am weaving with 20/2 (or 2/20, I can never remember which is US and which Canadian) for both warp and weft.

With barely bringing the beater to the fell line, my PPI were about 36.  I re-sleyed to a sett of 30, (24 + 36/2=30) and now am averaging about 32 PPI.

My question is how do you go about using a lower sett, say 24, to get that drapey cloth, when you are barely touching the fell line to start?

Karen M.

kemurt
        Participant

Oops, forgot to mention my initial sett was 24 epi…K

• This reply was modified 5 years, 1 month ago by kemurt.
          Ginette
          Keymaster

Hi Karen,

I weave the 20/2 silk for plain weave at 20 epi and when I bring the beater close to the fell, I’m looking for the negative space for a squaring. Once I’ve got that negative space where I want it for a 50/50 balance, then I continue beating the same. Sometimes I’ll just be ‘kissing’ the fell (like Jane says 😉 ) to get that 50/50 balance.

You could resley the reed at 24 EPI and give it a try if you’re sampling with your warp, it will be easier to get that balance.

kemurt
            Participant

Thanks, Ginette.  I will try once again.  Thought I was just ‘kissing’ the fell in my twill project, but will apparently have to try a handshake instead! 🙂

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • The forum ‘Season 3 – Pushing the Boundaries of Plain Weave’ is closed to new topics and replies.