Weaving with 20/2 silk

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  kemurt 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

kemurt
    Participant

Thanks, Ginette.  I will try once again.  Thought I was just ‘kissing’ the fell in my twill project, but will apparently have to try a handshake instead! 🙂

Ginette
    Keymaster

Hi Karen,

I weave the 20/2 silk for plain weave at 20 epi and when I bring the beater close to the fell, I’m looking for the negative space for a squaring. Once I’ve got that negative space where I want it for a 50/50 balance, then I continue beating the same. Sometimes I’ll just be ‘kissing’ the fell (like Jane says 😉 ) to get that 50/50 balance.

You could resley the reed at 24 EPI and give it a try if you’re sampling with your warp, it will be easier to get that balance.

kemurt
    Participant

Oops, forgot to mention my initial sett was 24 epi…K

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by  kemurt.

kemurt
    Participant

Hi Jane,

I am loving the guild and learning so much with each video–thank you!

I am weaving with 20/2 (or 2/20, I can never remember which is US and which Canadian) for both warp and weft.

With barely bringing the beater to the fell line, my PPI were about 36.  I re-sleyed to a sett of 30, (24 + 36/2=30) and now am averaging about 32 PPI.

My question is how do you go about using a lower sett, say 24, to get that drapey cloth, when you are barely touching the fell line to start?

Karen M.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.