Weaving with 2/10 50%Merino/50%Tencel

Forums Weaving Discussion Weaving with 2/10 50%Merino/50%Tencel

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Ed Chapman
      Participant

I tried weaving with 100% merino last year, both as warp and as weft, and loved it. Incredibly light, amazing drape, and soft as a cloud. I found a yarn blend of merino and tencel and ordered a cone to play around with. I wove a test scarf using a tencel warp (sett=20) and the 2/10 blend as weft. I wove it with a very gentle beat- barely placing each pick. If I have learned anything from Jane it’s been looser is almost always better.

The results seem to be very nice. I have not yet wet-finished the scarf, but it looks and feels great right off the loom.

I was wondering if anyone else has experience with using this blended yarn. I am particularly interested in how it wears compared to 100% merino.

Screen Shot 2020-08-10 at 1.27.05 PM

Ellen Black
        Participant

Beautiful.  I recently purchased a few cones of this blend to try. I been wanting to try it for sometime.  I thought I might try DDW with it.    I know another weaver who likes it for pattern weft in Overshot.

look forward to hearing how you like it after wet finishing.

Ed Chapman
          Participant

The scarf is a triumph. The overall 25% merino makes the 75% tencel lighter and bouncier, complementing the inherent shine. I am very happy. Now all I need to find out is how badly it pills over time?!

Screen Shot 2020-08-11 at 9.06.18 AM

Ginette
              Keymaster

It turned out really nice! Glad you’re happy with it 🙂

Ellen Black
              Participant

Beautiful.  Totally excited to weave with yarn.

Ed Chapman
                Participant

The new episode integrating basketweave and twill got me to thinking, and this is what I designed. I expanded to 8 harnesses because I hate to move heddles. This is my next Tencel/Merino project. I can’t figure out how to perfectly balance the twill blocks while keeping the basketweave intact.

Screen Shot 2020-08-13 at 3.14.21 PM

• This reply was modified 3 years, 10 months ago by Ed Chapman.
                  Ed Chapman
                  Participant

It’s working! I love to be able to border twill with basketweave. Could never have done it without Jane’s tutelage…

Screen Shot 2020-08-15 at 4.24.39 PM

Ellen Black
                    Participant

Beautiful !

Viewing 6 reply threads
                  • The forum ‘Weaving Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.