Weaving terminology

Tagged: 

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Angela 2 weeks, 5 days ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Angela
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 9
    • Totals: 9
    • Weaving wizard

Hi Judith,
    I found a Bibliography for you which includes many resources. One source is Sullivan, D. “Designing with Modules.” Handwoven, 1985, Fall. 16(4), 54-58. I found the bibliography under https://weavespindye.org/certificate-of-excellence/ then select “handweaving”. It will bring you to the pdf of the complete bibliography. If your local guild does not have a resource, try your public library.

Good Luck.
    Angela

Judith
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 12
    • Totals: 14
    • Weaving wonder

I agree.  Not terms I normally associate with weaving.  That is why I am struggling.  The 1st section of the COE asks for definitions of words associated with design.  Things like shape, form, emphasis etc.   I have worked through that section. The second section asks for the participant to define two words that fall under the design element of proportion.  And those two words are ratio and module.  I was thinking that ratio referenced the relationship between warp and weft.  So a 2/2 twill has a different ratio than a 3/1 twill.  That is what I am guessing.  Module has me baffled.  I have always used and heard the term “block” when looking at different sections of a draft.  Block A.  Block B.  Etc.  not module.  So that has me totally baffled.  And I don’t find these terms in any weaving books I have.  So.  I was hoping someone would have a suggestion of either art or weaving books that I could find and use as reference material.

I am, to be honest, a little frustrated with the COE here at the beginning.  But I am determined to persevere because I know it will make my weaving better.  I just want to get past this definition phase!

Thanks for your input.  Any additional thoughts would be appreciated.

Judith.

Sandra
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 413
    • Totals: 439
    • Weaving wonder

Judith – those aren’t terms that I personally associate with weaving.  Module could be a section of your course dealing with a particular weave structure – for instance – you might have a module on Twills.  Ratio, to me, means a percentage of something – colour for instance.  If you were designing a cloth of 1/3 white and 2/3 black, your ratio would be 1/3 to 2/3 which makes up for 100% of your cloth.  Can you give us an example where those words are used in your text?

Good for you doing the HGA COE.  A number of the weavers that I know have taken the Guild of Canadian Weavers’ Master Weaver programme.  There is a great deal of work – and fun, I hope – ahead of you!

Judith
    Participant
    • Weaving wonder

I am not sure I understand your response?  I am trying to find references for the terms ratio.   And Module.  I am not sure if your response about a raddle applies to my post.  Sorry.  I am just confused.  Maybe you were responding to another post?

sylvia.lowry
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 20
    • Totals: 20
    • Weaving wonder

A raddle, not rattle is a device that can be used while beaming your warp to spread your it evenly. Jane demonstrate the raddle use in season 1.
    Sylvia

Judith
    Participant
    • Weaving wonder

I am just beginning to work on the HGA COE for Handweavers.  I am struggling to find a definition of the words ratio and module.  I am not asking for the answer but I would appreciate some suggestions of resources for terminology.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.