Weaving mistakes- any idea what happened here?

Weaving Supplies, Yarn & Looms Canada Forums Weaving Discussion Weaving mistakes- any idea what happened here?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Ginette 1 week, 4 days ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Ginette
    Keymaster

Hi Christina,

By bobbin tension, I mean how you wound the yarn on the bobbin and it not too loose to let more off than it should and actually that’s a good point about throwing the shuttle. Not sure if you had a chance to look at these videos yet:

In Season 1, Episode 3.2, -bobbin winding technique, Jane demonstrates how to wind one up

And 3.3 – Good Weaving Technique – Playing the Loom.

You’ve got one my favourite type of shuttle by the way! Love Schacht shuttles!

Christina
    Participant

Thank you Ginette and Sylvia,

regarding warp tension: yes, to the best of my ability I tightened the whole warp the way Jane shows in season 1. It felt pretty taut and even as far as i could tell.

Ginette, hmmmm, bobbin tension!!!! Fabulous idea and i have no clue😂. I have one of those open bottom Schacht shuttles- I have no idea how or where to adjust the bobbin tension. Or is it in the weaving technique, meaning the way I hold the shuttle and how much I allow the bobbin to spin with my fingers resting underneath?

sylvia.lowry
    Participant

Hi Chrisrina,
    I agree with Ginette about the weft loops. As for the warp loops, I’m guessing here – when you tied on to the cloth beam rod, did you pull all the threads tight? If one was slack to begin with, beating would pull up that slack and create a loop. I have seen loops from slack threads but never that big. When you solve the mystery, let us know.
    Sylvia

Ginette
    Keymaster

Hi Christina,

Trying to figure out how your warp thread ended up like that and maybe someone will have an idea, but on your blue weft thread, it could be that your thread on the bobbin came out more than usual when you threw the shuttle. How’s the tension on your bobbins?

Christina
    Participant

So, I finished my little sample weave of the Arlene’s tea towels. Super fun and educational! Given that I used black warp thread ( the only one I had four cones of, to attempt warping with multiple strands), I don’t much care for how the Bronson lace turned out with a lighter colored weft thread- and that is great to know! I feel it optically shifts the appearance of the lace; the black on black section I wove, though hard to see, shows the lace pattern really nicely.

Anyways, that isn’t actually my question- here it comes:

in one photo you can see a loop of black warp yarn- I think maybe 40 picks later the warp thread broke, too and I suspect it might be that looped one. Any ideas/advice and what I might have been able to observe while weaving that this is happening? I only just saw the loop after I took it off the loom

in the other photo you can see a bunch of looped weft threads; these were on the underside as I was weaving, so yet again, didn’t notice this until it came off the loom. Any 7D4123E9-B092-4FC0-8222-79F7D618CEB1E22B49B3-4B19-4596-8D15-00CB2413E320idea what happened there and how I can prevent that in the future?

Thank you!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.