Washing handspun items

Forums Weaving Discussion Washing handspun items

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      juliamnorman
      Participant

Can anyone advise about the best way to wash an item which is handspun and woven. I have made a blanket with yarns which I’ve handspun and vegetable dyed and am hoping someone can advise me. I have a front loading washing machine.

Many thanks,

Julia

Sandra
        Keymaster

Hello Julia!  As a spinner, dyer and weaver – I understand your concern – I gave a handspun blanket to one of my sons and it still sits in pride of place in his home – like a sheet of cardboard 😉  Please wash it by hand!  In the laundry tub or the bathtub, as gently as you would your handspun after it’s plied.  You can gently agitate it there to get it to full to the amount you are happy with.  It might take a bit of time but I, for one, know how many hours have gone into making that blanket, you don’t want to overfull it!  When you are happy with the amount it has fulled, you can put it into your front-loading washing machine to spin it out, and hang it to dry.  Please post a photo – I would love to see your finished blanket!

juliamnorman
          Participant

Thanks so much Sandra for that useful advice. I will send a photo when Ive washed it. Would you recommend continuing to do use the same method for future washes?

best,

Julia

Sandra
              Keymaster

Without a doubt!  Nothing turns to felt faster than spun animal fibre washed in a washing machine.  Check out the Knowledge Base for articles about finishing  mohair.  Jane also walks us through the steps in Season 1: Episode 10 where she demonstrates washing a mohair scarf.  You wouldn’t necessarily brush your blanket, but the steps prior to that are the same.  She finishes her blankets in a top loading machine where you can stop it easily, as often as you want.  It’s more challenging in a front loading machine 😉. I look forward to seeing your photos!

Thomas Hobbs
              Participant

I spin and weave Samoyed dog fiber. Undercoat only. I always hand wash the finished product in lukewarm water and a gentle liquid dish detergent. I set the twist in the new yarn in very hot water, but absolutely no agitation.

Viewing 3 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.