Warping colors without multiple cones

Forums Weaving Discussion Online Guild Discussion Season 2 – Colour & Design Warping colors without multiple cones

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      sharikalb
      Participant

I have plenty of 8/2 cotton and want to try Jane’s warping method. However, I don’t have multiple cones of each color so I can’t exactly do it the way it is in the video. Is there an alternative trick for multiple colors when you only have one cone of each?

Sandra
        Keymaster

I wish I could think of an alternative trick!  The only way would be to wind off some onto another cone but it would be more difficult to wind the warp that way because I know I would have trouble maintaining the same tension and preventing tangling coming off a self wound cone.  If I only have one cone – it’s done the slooooow way, one thread at a time.  Maybe someone else has a magic formula?!?

Sasha Adams
            Participant

How about winding some of the initial cone on to one of those nifty 4” spools that Jane used in the very first video last year when she wound the silk skein on to them. Then you would put them in that  shoe box thingy and use that to warp. That way you would have two at the same time. Just a thought.

Sasha

sharikalb
                Participant

Brilliant – I have a good lazy kate that I  can use – why didn’t I think of that?

Deborah Cannatella
              Participant

I am currently warping using her method for multiple cones and following her instructions for a color and weave warp.  I am curious, though… when it says 48 dark/light warping with two ends in hand… is that 48 (pairs) or is 48 the number of threads… (as in 24 pairs)?

Sandra
                Keymaster

Sorry to take so long getting back to you, Deborah.  Yes, 48 threads (24 pairs).  Have fun!

Jean
                  Participant

I do this all the time… almost every warp unless it’s all white, which I have many cones of…  I use my bobbin winder and wind off  my single tube of 8/2 (or whatever) onto the cardboard spools that are used for sectional warping  I put the original tube on my lazy kate or sometimes I do like Jane does and use a cardboard box with a knitting needle and sometimes I use a mini milk crate the same way.  I put the whole deal on a kitchen scale and wind off about half if I’m going to wind from two or 1/4 the weight if I’m going to want 4.  Easy Peasy 😉

debzx1
                    Participant

Ok so…when I get to DDDD/LLLL do I need four cones of dark and four of light?  How do you hold that many in one hand?  Have I miunderstood something??

Thanks!  Debbie

Sandra
                      Keymaster

Hi Debbie – you’ll find lots of ideas to answer your question in this thread as well as in the thread https://janestaffordtextiles.com/forums/topic/warping-with-multiple-ends-sample-2-colour-and-weave-gamp/

There are great photos of how Jane holds the yarn in her hand in the other thread!  Have fun.

Viewing 6 reply threads
                    • The forum ‘Season 2 – Colour & Design’ is closed to new topics and replies.