Warping a sectional beam

Forums Weaving Discussion Warping a sectional beam

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Jo Ann Lapp
      Participant

I just joined the online guild and watched the videos on dressing the loom. Mine has a sectional beam. What do I do different? Is there a video on this topic?  Thank you for your help

Sandra
        Keymaster

No, Jo Ann, Jane doesn’t have a video on warping with the sectional beam.  Maybe someone on the Forum can recommend a good resource for you.  In the meantime, there are a few items on sectional warping on the JST Knowledge Base – just search with the word “sectional”.  To be honest – I had a sectional on an old loom I once owned and ended up removing the bits to use it as a regular warp beam with Jane’s warping method.  I’ve never looked back.  However, some people – particularly if they like to put on very long warps, like warping that way and have all the necessary extra equipment to make it work.  It’s a personal choice.

I would be interested in any resources that anyone might have, as well. My daughter bought a Norwood loom that has a sectional warp beam on it, and I’ve not been much help to her with it. Thanks!

alexander mackenzie
          Participant

Me too! I was just saying the other day that I was contemplating removing the sections from my beam. Of course then I have to get an apron and a warping mill or at least a beefier warping board. I don’t even use a tension box. I warp each section individually, which is time consuming. I use chopsticks for a raddle cross, and the coarse side of a nit comb for a raddle. Tension is just by feel, so that and the extra time are the disadvantages of keeping the sections. I aspire to a tension box perhaps in the next year or so.

alexander mackenzie
            Participant

This is more or less the method I use.

alexander mackenzie
              Participant

Oh yeah, one great advantage of sectional is no fussing with paper on your warp beam!

Jo Ann Lapp
                Participant

Actually I looked at my sectional beam closer and realized it is reversible!  As soon as I have my current warp finished, I’m going to reverse it. Thanks for everyone’s input.

Viewing 6 reply threads
              • The forum ‘Weaving Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.