Uneven warp

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  yezemin 2 weeks, 5 days ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

yezemin
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 8
    • Totals: 8
    • Weaving wizard

Unless you did have REALLY small bundles, I can’t imagine how your husband tightened only 10 threads of one bundle.

Are those 10 threads the same material as the rest of the warp? I had such stuff happen, if I used linen or silk, together with wool, but never so bad, that I had to cut it off. Linen and silk have no elasticity, so these fibers react differently, when combined with wool.

As this happened before to you: Is it always on the same side?

Do you use paper? Could the paper have build up at the point in question?

Lora Negrito
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 1
    • Totals: 2
    • Weaving weeble

Thank you Sandra and Yezemin for your help! I have watched that video maybe 20 times, lol. My husband was holding the tension while I wound on, maybe it was too tight? I pulled all the warp forward, checked for any threads caught up any where, slipping at the cloth beam, etc. I didn’t see anything. I wound it back on holding tension myself. I will finish tying on tomorrow night and try some weaving this weekend. I’ll let y’all know how it goes 🤓

yezemin
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 8
    • Totals: 8
    • Weaving wizard

I had a similar problem with my last warp and couldn’t figure out what happened until I came to the end of my warp. In my case it was only one warp thread. It had wrapped around a plastic peg sticking out of my backbeam without me noticing.

Perhaps something like that happend with your warp? I also do use wooden warp separators and especially on the sides it can happen that threads wind around, when I slide them in.

Sandra
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 27
    • Replies: 442
    • Totals: 469
    • Weaving wonder

Hi Lora, I think you have a problem with keeping your warp under even tension when winding it onto the warp beam.  I warp by myself and spend a lot of the process going from the front to back, making sure the the tension is tight and even at the front and then pulling on the paper which is wrapping around the warp on the back beam.  I don’t have enough room to weigh my warp under books as I wind on.  Have you gone back to Season, Lesson 2, to review winding the warp onto the loom?  It might help.  Let me know.

Lora Negrito
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 1
    • Totals: 2
    • Weaving weeble

I have tried to look for the answer , but didn’t see the same issue. I have dressed my loom, but the warps on the left side….maybe 10… are super tight. The others are fine. I haven’t started weaving yet. But my last project I wove half of the scarf and it happened on the right, but not outside…it was about 8 warp threads 15-20 inside the right side. I could not figure out how to fix it and ended up cutting it off. What am I doing wrong? Why is this happening? How do I fix it? I am new to weaving. I have a Leclerc Voyager table loom. Thank you.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.