Treading -Anne Dixon vs Jane

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Keri Campbell
      Participant

okay, I feel particularly silly putting this out there…however….I have just rewatched Jane’s lovely and simple video about reading drafts. In it, she says to read the treading from top down.Now, I have Anne Dixon’s very helpful book, the Handwraver’s Pattern Directory, and it seems to tell me to read it from the bottom up, and once I get to the top, if there is a little curly black arrow, repeat.

I just want to know if I am understanding that correctly, as, it would seem that I did do just that, however my pattern did not seem to be anything like it showed in the book.

(Insert big *sigh* here)

Jacqueline
        Participant

Hi Keri,  Anne Dixon’s Book the drafts are read from bottom up –  although I hadn’t realised this for 2 years when a friend pointed it out to me🥴.  I follow Jane’s advice when making my own drafts, but you need to be flexible and check what method authors have used.  Top down or bottom up!  It’s not right and it’s not wrong – just different.  X

Keri Campbell
          Participant

Jacqueline! Thank you! Classic over-thinking, I am sure, so thank you for taking the time to clear that up.

🙂

kathleen ready
            Participant

Yes, Jacqueline is right, and in the Swedish world of weaving the drafts are flipped so that the threading is at the bottom. Oh I forgot to say the black squares in the tie up indicate a sinking shed.

If your pattern doesn’t look like the picture, it could also be the tie up. In Dixon the black squares are for rising sheds. Have a look at your cloth on the underside and you may see the pattern you are seeking.

Keri Campbell
              Participant

Kathleen, thank you! I will take a look at the other side. I am glad you mentioned that about the Swedish drafts as well, I have been looking and some patterns online, so that is excellent info to have!

to be honest, i have just had the treadles tied to one shaft each so if two go up, I am pressing the two treadles needed. I will need to try actually tying up properly😬🙄…..

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • The forum ‘Season 3 – Pushing the Boundaries of Plain Weave’ is closed to new topics and replies.