Tips on winding alternating colors

Forums Weaving Discussion Online Guild Discussion Season 1 – Foundation Tips on winding alternating colors

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Jan Silver
      Participant

Any tips for winding a warp consisting of two colors, alternating four threads each?

Jane
        Keymaster

It all depends on how many cones you have of each. To do it efficiently you need to have 2 cones of each colour. If you don’t it won’t be easy because you’ll have to warp 4 of one colour and then 4 of the other colour. If you have 2 cones of each then it is easy. You warp 2 ends of one colour, then break off and then tie the 4 cones to the 2 and warp the rest with 4 cones…2 of each colour. Then you take them from the lease sticks in the order that you need them. I demonstrate this in the threading section of episode 3 where I’m threading the looms. Let me know if this makes sense after you have reviewed that episode.

Jan Silver
            Participant

I looked back at the warping and the threading sections. Looks like I should make a warp of alternating TWO threads each of dark and light. Then when threading the heddles, select FOUR threads each of alternating dark and light. And there should not be any issue with selecting threads from the warp slightly out of order (since the warp is made with 2/2 rather than 4/4 alternation).

Is that right?

thanks, Jan

Jane
                Keymaster

Yes….but you have to start with just 2 of your dark or 2 of your light. Then tie 4 ends on to that bout….and continue warping with 4 ends in your hand, ending with just 2 of what ever colour your should end on. Thread your first 2 and then you will be looking at the bout of 4 on the lease sticks….take the 2 you need to make up the 4, then thread the left overs and then on to the next bout where you will take the colour you need ………etc.etc.etc.

Viewing 1 reply thread
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.