Thoughts on Fiberworks Mac & Windows – Introduction, Download & Installation Lessons

Forums Weaving Discussion Online Guild Discussion Season 4 – Twills on Four Weaving Discussion Thoughts on Fiberworks Mac & Windows – Introduction, Download & Installation Lessons

Viewing 32 reply threads
  • Author
      Ginette
      Keymaster

Let us know your thoughts on Fiberworks Mac & Windows – Introduction, Download & Installation lessons

Sandra
        Keymaster

Testing to see if our new system is working!

JoAnne Tuffnell
          Participant

Thank you VERY much for having Fiberworks as your Season 4, Episode 2, program. I’ve been wanting to learn Fiberworks for a long time, and this is a great opportunity. I’ve done the downloads and have sent the email because I know I’ll want to purchase…and at a special price now, too. Happy dance. JoAnne

Jaime Enachescu
            Participant

Is there s version of Fibreworks for IPad Pro?

Sandra
                Keymaster

As far as I know, Fiberworks runs on Mac OS on the Mac computer or MacBook.  Those of us with iPads can’t run it on our devices.  I’m imagining it would require a complete makeover for that to happen!

ireneweisner
                Participant

This weekend, my computer crashed and I applied for another installation number and within hours of getting the computer running I was able to use my Fibreworks program again. The ultimate of service and support. This is a very easy program to navigate and wow on sale. Definitely a wonderful tool for weavers to consider.

A very good overview and of course a professional presentation by the developer of this program.

I have spent many hours ”weaving” with this program.

yezemin
                  Participant

I also recommend the service! Bob reacts really fast, if you need a new validation code.

But still, I would love the option to deactivate your code on one computer and reactivate the same code on a new system.

The way your program gets a new number, every time you install it on another system is genious, but in case the company ceases to exist, you can’t use your program on a new system anymore, even if it would still work perfectly fine there.

Nina Kennedy
                    Participant

I have had Fiberworks Silver for awhile and, using the manual, have taught myself how to find my way around this software. This episode helped me even more! Thank you!
                      I have one question. At some point in the episode Mr. Keates showed how to access sample drawdowns in Fiberworks. I was astonished as I have had this program for several years and have never discovered these.  I immediately opened Fiberworks on my computer and looked all through it but cannot find sample drawdowns in the version I have. If I am correct, it looked like he accessed these samples by going to “File – Open”. When I do this all I see are the files I have created myself. Are these sample drawdowns not available in the “Silver” version? If they are, where are they?

• This reply was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by Nina Kennedy.
                      lmccarthy50
                      Participant

This is not what I signed up for.

Susan Gallo
                        Participant

I have been considering getting weaving softwear and really liked this demo.  I understand that I can download it for free to try, but I see people saying there is a discount or sale associated with this website but have not seen where that has been stated.  Where can I find the discount price and how to obtain the discount?  Thanks for such great weaving classes – I am learning SO much as I am a fairly new weaver in general, and just moved from a ridgid heddle loom to an 8 shaft in January.

yezemin
                          Participant

Hi Nina,

you don’t tell if you are using Windows or Mac. In Windows these sample files should be under:

This PC/Documents/My Weaving/Silver…Samples

I only have the Bronze Version, so I’m not perfectly sure about the correct name of the Sample Folder, but if I remember right, Bob showed in the explorer where the files are located.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by yezemin.
                            Nina Kennedy
                            Participant

Sorry – I did forget to say that I have a MAC computer.

I viewed the video again and found the section where he talks about samples. It is in the chapter “Varying Thread Thickness” and he is talking about thread thickness, specifically in regards to rep patterns and that is when he shows how to view the samples. His instructions are to go to Documents, then “My Weaving” and in this folder are 2 subfolders entitled “My Designs” and “Samples”. I also got out my manual and found the section on saving files and I discovered that this “My Weaving” file is mentioned there too (I hadn’t noticed before). I went to my Documents file but did not find these folders. I have always been saving my design in a folder I made and gave another name.

I may have to email Mr. Keates to ask about this as I would like to see these sample files.

Sandra
                              Keymaster

It’s so long ago that I set up Fiberworks.  When I started using it I was on a PC and then converted to a Mac.  I  moved My Weaving folder into my personal folder along with my other weaving files.  Could you have done that?  I’m sure you’ve done a search – but I had to look for mine when you mentioned it 😉

Nina Kennedy
                                Participant

I found it (the Fiberworks Sample folder)!  I went searching around on my computer again and opened the Fiberworks installation file and noticed the “My Weaving” file and there they were. All this time I never realized they were there. I will have fun exploring the different sample patterns.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by Nina Kennedy.
                                  9acrewood
                                  Participant

Phooey, I no longer use a desktop😒only an IPAD….hopefully someday Bob will consider software for that! I will still watch and try to learn but disappointed I can’t use the software.

laurarose
                                    Participant

There is (or at least was a year or two ago) a decent iPad program called iWeaveIt.  It isn’t as fancy, but it does the basics. You buy it in chunks.  The basic one has threading and color then you can add on bits that do things like heddle counts etc.  It is made by a woman who is a weaver and a software developer!  I just checked the app store and it is still there.  It looks like she has a phone version now, too!  Good luck!

laurarose
                                      Participant

I think the systems are super different, so I wouldn’t hold my breath, but there is a program called iWeaveIt available for iPads and apparently now iPhones as well (I just checked to make sure it still exists).  I used it for awhile but I prefer using my computer.  It isn’t quite as fancy (or at least it wasn’t 2 years ago), but it was stable and did what it claims.  The woman who makes it is both a developer and a weaver so she knows what’s up.

laurarose
                                        Participant

One more note!  The intro here doesn’t explain how to get around Mac’s protections for installing things that arent from the apple store, but there is a place on the Fiberworks website–maybe in the FAQ’s?–that explains how to go into System preferences to security and click on something that makes your computer allow the download (LOL I just did it like an hour ago, but can’t tell you more than that!)

yezemin
                                          Participant

@9acrewood: That’s one of the causes why I don’t use Mac anymore. My Windowstablet works just fine with Windowssoftware…

On the other Hand there is a lot of crafting software for Ipad and Android, I will never be able to use with my Windowssystem. You win some, you loose some. 🙂

Robyn B
                                            Participant

I only use ipads so I use the IweaveIt program which I have found very user friendly.  I downloaded the Fiberworks program for Windows on an older computer so I could compare the two.  I really hope that an update for “i” machines will be available in the future.  Thanks for the exposure to how best to use this program.

carolclark63
                                              Participant

So sad this program won’t work on iPads.

Geraldine
                                                Participant

Where did you hear about special price?

Ginette
                                                    Keymaster

Hi Geraldine, just to add to Sandra’s comment, the mention of the special price was in the last Online Guild newsletter that was sent out on February 20th. The special price is for the Bronze version. Let us know if you didn’t receive the newsletter and we can forward it to you.

Sandra
                                                    Keymaster

Geraldine – if you scroll up this list of comments you will find where Ginette has given the links to both versions.  The price for either is US$99.

Robyn B
                                                      Participant

I really missed having a weaving lesson and project.  Although I appreciate the exposure to the program since it didn’t cover all technologies or a weaving project, at the moment I’m feeling a bit short-changed .  Looking forward to this month’s topic, and of course Jane at the loom.

Ellen Black
                                                        Participant

Hi. I was wondering if I can get the coupon code please for the Bronze version?  Thank    You  ! Ellen

• This reply was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by Ellen Black.
                                                            Ginette
                                                            Keymaster

Hi Ellen, Bob has already reduced the price for the Bronze version on his website so that we don’t need to use a coupon code. Half way up these comments, I posted a link to both versions, depending if you have Mac or Windows that you can click on and it’ll take you right there.

yezemin
                                                            Participant

There is no coupon code.

Ellen Black
                                                              Participant

ok, thank you. Ellen

virginianightingale
                                                                Participant

Hi, I have a MacBook Pro (OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan), and I don’t seem to be able to download Fiberworks. I get an error message that ends there…not other options offered. How can I get around this? Thank you, Virginia

Ginette
                                                                    Keymaster

Hi Virginia, did you managed to download Fiberworks?

Tara
                                                                    Participant

I may be mistaken, but you likely need a Flashplayer installed on your iPad. I cannot run these programs on my iPad for that reason (the computer is fine).  New models may have Flashplayer than my older model.

Jane Sullivan
                                                                      Participant

Hi,

I am just getting around to downloading the FIberworks for Mac. I have version Catalina 10.15.5 and everytime I try to open the download I get the message below.

“Bronze” cannot be opened because the developer cannot be verified.

Can you help?

Thanks

• #172684
                                                                          Sandra
                                                                          Keymaster

I wish I could help, Jane.  Fiberworks is running on my Mac, so I know there is a fix.  Whenever I’ve had a question about the program, I find Bob to be a wonderful help.  You could email him at mailto:info@fiberworks-pcw.com and he usually answers quite quickly.

• #173282
                                                                          Jacqs
                                                                          Participant

Hi, is this offer still available and is there a special price of $99 for the Mac Silver level or just the Bronze?

• #173307
                                                                              Sandra
                                                                              Keymaster

I believe the offer is still available, Jacqs – but the best thing is to check with Fiberworks directly.  Bob answers emails quite quickly – info@fiberworks-pcw.com.

• #175953
                                                                              Margaret
                                                                              Participant

Jane and Bob: Thanks so much for this excellent tutorial. No offense to those who’ve tried to teach me Fiberworx in the past, but this was the best class I’ve had on the subject and I am so grateful. I’ve found it difficult to keep all of the pieces in my head, particularly when I’ve not used the program for a while. I learned a few new ways to do things and now have a clear set of steps in mind for my problem areas. I can’t thank you enough for making this so much easier for me. Excellent idea and perfectly presented.

• #191261
                                                                                juliamnorman
                                                                                Participant

I couldnt download this with my linux laptop.I would love an explanation about drawdown and wonder if its elsewhere on the course?

• #191390
                                                                                    Sandra
                                                                                    Keymaster

Jane often does drawdowns and explains them when she is showing us a structure on the board.  Season 4.1.3 – Drawdowns by Hand, Introduction to Twill, should get you well on your way.  You can do them by hand, and it’s fun to play with them.

Have you emailed Bob at Fiberworks PCW to see if it’s possible to use Fiberworks in Linux?  In the back recesses of my mind I seem to recall it was possible at one point, but I can’t see it listed as an option on his website.

• #194632
                                                                                    heidi
                                                                                    Participant

I just checked with the developer and nothing for ipad.

• #194636
                                                                                        Sandra
                                                                                        Keymaster

Hi Heidi – I thought you asked about Linux for your laptop.  However, you just mentioned your iPad.  Fiberworks PCW does not work on the iPad which runs on Apple iOS.  However, it does run on Mac and PC computers that each use a different operating system.  There is a program that can use on our iPad or iPhone called iWeaveit and you can get it in the App store.

Viewing 32 reply threads
                                                                                    • The forum ‘Season 4 – Twills on Four Weaving Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.