Thoughts on 8.2 – Sinking Shed Loom Louet Looms – David

Forums Weaving Discussion Online Guild Discussion Season 1 – Foundation Thoughts on 8.2 – Sinking Shed Loom Louet Looms – David

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      Ginette
      Keymaster

Let us know your thoughts on 8.2 – Sinking Shed Loom Louet Looms – David.

sjgriebling
        Participant

Does a sinking shed loom require more maintenance because of the springs?

Also, check this out https://www.cincinnatiartmuseum.org/fabricofindia

Sue

Sandra
            Keymaster

My David has been low maintenance in all the years he’s lived at my house! So – my answer would be no.

Thank you for the link to the Fabric of India – I wish I were closer to both locations where this exhibit has/is been shown. However, for anyone interested – there is an amazing book put out by the V&A and edited by Rosemary Crill that brings this exhibit home to your own shelves. The Fabric of India book – https://www.bookdepository.com/Fabric-India/9781851778539 It’s also available through other online booksellers.

diannedavenport
            Participant

Just watched the David video and noticed the light on it. Would you mind saying where you got the light? I am trying to increase the lighting at my David. TIA Dianne

Sandra
                Keymaster

Hi Dianne – Jane tells her story of the lights on the David under the topic Episode 8 on the JST Forum. Let us know if this helps answer your questions.

diannedavenport
                    Participant

Thanks for the hot link. Searching the Online Guild Forum section didn’t work for me. Now to go looking for the LED strip

Audrey Clark
                  Participant

Can you weave rugs on the David?  Seems like weighting the beater wouldn’t really work and perhaps it is too light….

Sandra
                    Keymaster

I’ve never woven rugs but I found this answer to a similar question that Jane wrote a few years ago:

“I don’t see why not. You have a nice big shed on the David, so the big squish after you have changed the shed really helps pack it down. I have woven bound weave samples on a David around 12” wide and they worked perfectly. I have never encouraged the big, whack type of beating that some people feel you need to weave a rug. The sett is so vital to any rugs success. if your warp is sett too close then the weft can’t get in there and then you have to whack away at it, but if the sett is opened up a bit then the weft finds its way to the fell with ease. SETT, is the most important consideration in all textiles.
                      Hope this helps,
                      Jane”

Audrey Clark
                      Participant

Thank you, Sandra.  Very interesting to think about sett vs beating hard.  I’m mostly interested in weft-faced tapestry style rugs to hang on the wall, so it seems like the David could work well.

Shelly Goering
                        Participant

I’m getting closer to buying my own David and trying to decide which size.  Is the loom Jane is using in the video the 70cm or the 90cm?  I thought the 70cm but wanted to be sure. Thanks!

Ginette
                            Keymaster

Hi Shelly, Jane is weaving on a 70cm. It’s a great loom, I truly enjoy weaving on miine 🙂

Andrea Valentine
                            Participant

Is the tie up different for a sinking shed loom?

Ginette
                              Keymaster

Hi Andrea,

It all depends on how the pattern was written. Did you have a chance to watch the video from ‘It’s the Little Things’ on Reading a Weaving Draft? Jane explains the different types of patterns and how to identify which ones are written for rising shed and sinking shed.

You’ll find it here, 3rd video on the last post. https://janestaffordtextiles.com/forums/topic/its-the-little-things-videos-weaving-tips-tricks/

Colleen Johnson
                                Participant

I don’t understand how a sinking shed loom provides more even tension on the warp threads than a rising shed loom. Either way, some of the threads are being moved to a sharper angle to the warp beam than the angle of the resting threads. ???

Ginette
                                    Keymaster

Hi Colleen,

With counter-balance looms, when you open the shed, the 4 harnesses will move at the same time giving equal tension on the top and bottom threads. The David Loom was build unique and is the only one of its kind as a sinking shed where your tension will be equal with your top and bottom threads when the harnesses are pulled down. For the jack looms, they will rise your harnesses and make your top threads tighter.

Here’s a good explanation on the JST Knowledge Base from Jane about the David sinking shed system:

Is the David Loom a Counterbalance Loom?

Betty.allen
                                    Participant

I’m considering either  a David loom or a Schacht Baby Wolf. Could you direct me to a video that shows how to tie up the treadles on the David loom?  Betty

Brigitte Swan
                                      Participant

I did not realize when I bought it that it would produce the pattern upside down since I did not know about warping for a sinking shed.  I am a very new weaver and still have a lot to learn.

Sandra
                                          Keymaster

Brigitte – you’ll soon learn how to tie up your loom so you can see your pattern on top – which isn’t really that important until you weave cloth with different patterns appearing on the opposite side. Here’s an article that Jane has on the Knowledge Base that explains the difference in tie-ups on sinking and rising shed looms.

Katherine Tetlak
                                          Participant

I’m considering either a David III or a Spring II floor loom, upgrading from a four-shaft table loom and RH. I have fibromyalgia that is not well-controlled and OA in my knees and shoulders, so I’m looking for something easy to treadle, easy to tie up, easy to beat, etc. I’m would prefer the Spring II but I worry the tie-up might be too difficult for me. Do you have any advice or suggestions as to which one might serve me better? I live in rural PA and don’t have the option of trying before I buy.

Sandra
                                              Keymaster

I’d go with a David – the tie-ups are much easier on the knees.  I bought the loom prior to my bilateral knee replacements over 6 years ago, and have never regretted it.  My David is the older one and, I believe, lighter than the new David.  With mine, I’ve found a way of tipping it back and resting it on a sturdy chair so I can do the tie-ups without getting down on my knees.  Just my humble opinion – I’m sure others will pipe in.

GAIL HALKIAS
                                              Participant

It sounds as if Louet has moved from an overhand beater to a sliding beater on the David II and is now moving to a floor pivot beater for the David III.   The sliding beater sounds like it was really popular.  I wonder why they changed that feature in the new one?

Viewing 13 reply threads
                                            • The forum ‘Season 1 – Foundation’ is closed to new topics and replies.