Thoughts on 4.9.2 – Weft Faced Twills at the Loom

Forums Weaving Discussion Online Guild Discussion Season 4 – Twills on Four Weaving Discussion Thoughts on 4.9.2 – Weft Faced Twills at the Loom

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Ginette
      Keymaster

Let us know your thoughts on Weft Faced Twills at the Loom

kemurt
        Participant

This was great, Jane, as usual!  Thank you.

When weaving the PC 21 sequence that went from right to left, had I not seen the video, I would have read the sequence from right to left (like a threading draft).  Also, I didn’t realize that when going right to left, you ‘go down the hill’, rather than start on shaft 1.  So, two good things about the patterning notation learned from watching you weave, Jane.

I’m blown away by all the possibilities and how much is possible with color and weave effects–unbelievable!

Karen

Nina Kennedy
          Participant

Jane said something about revising the hemstitching pdf to include Italian hemstitching but I can’t find it. Is it done – not trying to hurry her I am just not sure if I missed it 🙂

Jane
            Participant

I just downloaded the Weft Faced Twills draft info, and the Italian Hem Stitch info is on page 4

Joy Sceviour
              Participant

I have a few questions about this interesting episode.  How do you change direction to get a zig-zag pattern?  Ex.: #6 and #7

Can you weave place mats and table runners using 8/2 cotton for both warp and weft or would these be too heavy?  Can you use this weaving technique for wool scarves, or, again, would there be no drape to snuggle warmly around a person’s neck?

Sandra
                  Keymaster

Hi Joy, you should go back and review Season 4: Episode 9.1 Weft Faced at the Table.  Jane explains it there.  This episode is about Weft Faced weaving – the samples that Jane is weaving would be awesome for rugs using the Quebecois wool.  You could make placemats using 8/4 or 8/8 cotton as your weft, and if you put on a warp of 8/2 why not weave a sample using 8/2 as a weft and see if you like the result.

Liz Kimber
                  Participant

Im confused to the threading and tie ups used. I want to recreate #14 but having tried both in iweaveit i couldnt get close

Joy Sceviour
                    Participant

Thank you, Sandra!  I hope we don’t get shut down because of Covid, but, if we do, I’ll weave, weave, weave.  I agree that it has been a great year, sometimes taking in a steep learning curve, but always an interesting challenge.  Gotta keep the grey matter moving, eh?

Happy Holidays to you and all the crew.  I really appreciate this online guild.

Joy

Viewing 6 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.