Thoughts on 4.8.1 – Introduction to Shadow Weave

Forums Weaving Discussion Online Guild Discussion Season 4 – Twills on Four Weaving Discussion Thoughts on 4.8.1 – Introduction to Shadow Weave

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Ginette
      Keymaster

Let us know your thoughts on 4.8.1 – Introduction to Shadow Weave

emma.hendler
        Participant

I cannot wait to give this a try! What yarn was used in the undulating twill samples?

Sandra
            Keymaster

Jane just got back to me in the middle of helping to pack “Back to the Loom” sale orders 😉.  The answer to your question is Zepher wool/silk.

Robyn B
            Participant

I’m so excited to understand this weave structure.  It’s been on my bucket list along with echo and iris.  As always Jane you are an amazing instructor.  Can’t wait to get it on my loom and see the magic!

Lana
              Participant

Thanks for a fascinating episode that has my head buzzing.  I have some questions.  The threadings used on the gamp flow smoothly through their repeats, but what if you wanted to used a threading with discrete (noncontinuous) elements.  I was thinking of adding a panel to the gamp with point twill alternating with inverted point twill in the threading.  The threading (without the “shadow lines”) would be 1234321 4321234 as the repeat.  But if you thread for shadow weave and use the center 4 or 1 as the pivot point and complete the rest of the point symmetrically, you end up with an extra “shadow line” thread at the end of the motif.   Where does this extra warp end get threaded.  Or is there another way to think about this?

A separate but related question comes from the undulating shadow weave threading.  The very last thread of the warp threading repeat is a “shadow line” thread on harness 2.  Why harness 2?  The sequence approaching the end is 1X-3-4X-2-3X-1.  The beginning of the next repeat is 1-3X-2-4X-3-1X.  I’m speculating that the last “shadow line” thread on harness 2 is the same as the question I asked above, but why is it on harness 2?

Thank you for any help you can offer to help me understand how this technique works.  I’m looking forward to weaving this.

Sandra
                  Keymaster

Hi Lana, do you happen to have Fiberworks?  Your question is a perfect fit for the “what if” that you are curious about and a lot quicker than weaving a sample to see if it works.  At this point, that is the method that I would use to see what happens but it’s better for you to go through that process in Fiberworks or on graph paper.

Jane
                      Keymaster

To answer your first question you could pivot on the 4 or if you want to add a thread to pivot on it would be the opposite of 4 and you would be pivoting on the 2.  The will look a little different but not much.

For the undulating twill the 2 is there because we repeat that entire threading 3 times and that is the pivot. I made it a 2 because when you look at the descending line coming down on the previous line the dark 1 was followed by a 2…..and it was a 2 because the entire threading is symmetrical from the centre.  You don’t need it at the end after the 2nd repeat but it you have it, it won’t matter 🙂
                        Hope this helps,

Lana
                    Participant

Hi Sandra,

I have played a bit with Fiberworks but it’s not for me.  I was using graph paper to draw the threading and drawdown when I discovered the extra “shadow line” warp thread with no obvious place to go.  I guess what I was trying to ask is where that thread belongs in theory, how does it contribute to what looks like a very elegant system?  But I can continue without knowing that answer.

However, I’m still curious as to why the last “shadow line” warp thread of the repeat on the undulating shadow weave draft is on harness 2.  Any ideas?  Thanks for your rapid response.

Just trying to understand,

Lana

Sandra
                        Keymaster

Hi Lana, I’ve sent your questions on to Jane.  However, the “Back to the Loom” sale has been extended and she is swamped!!!!  The studio is small and it’s all hands on deck to send out orders today.  She will get back to you after the sale is finished and she can actually breath 😉

Lana
                        Participant

Hi Jane,

Thanks for your response.  I’ve been playing with this doing drawdowns and I think I see the logic.  I can’t say that I completely understand it, but I think it’s time to put it on the loom.  Or else fall prey to analysis paralysis. . .   🙂

Lana

hicks9729
                          Participant

Just a shout out to y’all but the Mary Meig’s first book on weaving is over at Amazon.com in Kindle format for those who use Kindle to expand a library on economical means. It retails for $5.49USD so check it out. https://smile.amazon.com/Shuttle-Craft-Book-American-Hand-Weaving-Development-ebook/dp/B00CFNB4O6/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Mary+Meigs+Atwater&qid=1602444290&sr=8-1

Sara
                            Participant

So much fun!  But my head is trying to work out opposites if you have an 8 shaft draft. Do you make the circle with 1 at the top and 4 at the bottom and the sides have 2 and 3, and 5 and 6… or does this only apply to 4 shaft patterns?

Sandra
                                Keymaster

Note from Jane:

“This lecture was only in regards to 4 shaft looms….but the Atwater system on 8 works like this….1-4, 2,5, 3-7, 4-8.  You would have to change your tie-up 1234,2345,3456,4567,5678,6781,7812,8123.”

Emma Hamilton
                                Participant

I’m looking at my Maurice Brassard sample cards for 8/2 cotton and there’s no apricot.  Has it changed its name?  I’m in Australia so not buying from the JST store.

Sandra
                                    Keymaster

Hi Emma, Jane names the colour of all her yarns – she’s a word person – not a number person 😉  All you need to do is choose a range of colours that go with the sample – I’d call Apricot a warm yellow (yellow with a tad of red in it), so if you have a Brassard sample card, I’d look for that.  You could also choose your own range of colours for this sample – it your choice and whatever you use just needs to be a contrast with the black for your pattern to stand out.

pkjones4
                                    Participant

Hi Jane,

A beginner question here. I am threading my loom and am confused with what thread is used for  the number and what thread color is used for  the “x”. Do you  use the color for shaft 1,2,3,4 (pattern)  and black for the “x’s ” or black on the 1,2,3,4 (pattern) and color for the “x’s”. ?  Or does it not matter? I cant wait to get started! (before this season begins 🙂 ) Thanks for a response. Tricia

Sandra
                                        Keymaster

Tricia, you thread your loom as you normally do, following your warp your threads as they are arranged in your cross.  The Xs form the shadow line with their threading as shown in the legend.

miffy1
                                        Participant

Hi Emma in Australia,

I’m in New Zealand so the shipping costs mean I also don’t buy yarn from the JST store. However I purchased the JST sample cards so I could match to the Brassard numbers.  I think Apricot is 3161 Jaune Or.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by miffy1.
                                      Viewing 10 reply threads
                                      • The forum ‘Season 4 – Twills on Four Weaving Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.