Thoughts on 4.7.4 – Twill & Basket Weave At the Table

Forums Weaving Discussion Online Guild Discussion Season 4 – Twills on Four Weaving Discussion Thoughts on 4.7.4 – Twill & Basket Weave At the Table

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • Author
      Ginette
      Keymaster

Let us know your thoughts on 4.7.4 – Twill & Basket Weave At the Table

Jacqueline
        Participant

Absolutely beautiful and inspiring, thank you.  Could you say which loom width was used for the baby blankets. xx

Ellen Black
          Participant

Love the blankets, beautiful!

Carol Burns
            Participant

Looking forward to doing a blanket. They are stunning

Ellen Black
              Participant

I asked on Rav and announced that a kit will be available in the fall.

mccollough.peg
                Participant

In the blanket with the basket weave hem why isn’t this a problem with increasing the width as compared to the mainly twill structure that follows it?

Sandra
                    Keymaster

I’m sorry Peg, I don’t understand your question – could you please rephrase it?  🤔

mccollough.peg
                    Participant

Okay , trying again . I was told and have had the experience of a plain weave in the hem producing a wider cloth than the a twill that follows it because of more interlacements of the plain weave. One solution being to use a finer weft or ? This does not appear to happen in that blanket. Or maybe this is not accurate info? Or maybe the basket weave has a different result ?

Sandra
                        Keymaster

I see!  OK – since both Twill and Basket Weave interlace two threads at a time – using Basket Weave as a hem on a Twill structure will give you the same width on your fabric.  Using a Twill structure that has 240 ends, for example – you will have 120 interlacements with Basket Weave but 240 with Plain Weave which would spread your hem wider than your Twill fabric.  Does this answer your question?

mccollough.peg
                        Participant

Yes ! I’ve got it. I guess I sort of missed some of the point about why “they play together” well.

Gale Grover
                          Participant

Could you tell me what threads the blankets are woven with and also the sett? They are stunning!

Thanks,

Gale from Utah

kfagan727
                            Participant

The towels were woven with 16/2 linen warp; did you find those woven with cottolin weft were a softer handle comparedt to the 16/2 linen weft ones ??

Sandra
                                Keymaster

Possibly initially, because of the cotton content in the cottolin, but over the long haul – both wefts would give a lovely hand and wonderful absorbancy.

Ellen Black
                                Participant

Been watching for the blanket kit.  Will it be available soon?

Sandra
                                    Keymaster

Hi Helen, they are in the process of ordering and restocking shelves, soon, soon 😉

Ellen Black
                                    Participant

Ok

Marty Wink
                                      Participant

Wow!  I loved the baby blankets!  I see from the comments above that it will be available as a kit?  Any dates on when that might arrive?  Also, I’m interested in doing a bedspread/blanket and loved the first baby blanket.  Could this same material and pattern be easily adapted to the larger size?  I’m assuming that it would have to be doubleweave.

Your ideas are truly inspiring!  Thanks so much to Jane, Miles and the rest of the team at JST.  You guys rock!!!

Thanks,

Marty

Sandra
                                          Keymaster

Hi Marty!  The answer is “it depends” 😂  Do you have an 8 shaft loom and how wide is it?  I’ve asked those in the know about the kit and will get back to you.

Sandra
                                            Keymaster

WOW, they are fast getting back to me!  The answer is no, not in the near future.  Jane wants to reweave that blankie before putting it in a kit.  However, I’ll bet you could design your own 😁

Dayamitra Blenman
                                            Participant

20201224_155809

Dayamitra Blenman
                                              Participant

Hi all,

Hope you had a very Merry Christmas and stayed safe and well.

The photo above were face washers done with natural and bleached linen. The twill pattern was in cottolin. This was my first try at basket weave and I love it! The washers were given as presents to all who had helped us through the year. I did one lot (a dozen) in plain weave with twill in the weft. Then I did another lot (12) in basket weave and twill. Our friends and doctor and osteopath all got one and loved them.

I added bias binding that I hand sewed, which gave a neat finished look. Comments were made on how neat the washers were. That made me feel good!

I’m glad my husband managed to upload the photos here for you to see.

Thanks Jane! I have enjoyed weaving these projects and learning basket weave with twill! Look forward to learning about lace next year. I’ve had some experience with Huck lace but look forward to learning more!

See you in the New Year!

Kelley Rodino
                                                Participant

The baby blankets are beautiful! I don’t see kits on the site anymore. Would you be willing to share the yarn you used (I think the video says 8/4 cotton, but the posts above say Harrisville Shetland)? And could you share the colors? I love the subtle look of the pale gray/blue and white – it’s just gorgeous!

Thank you!

Sandra
                                                    Keymaster

Jane goes through the design of the baby blankets on the board, including the sett she used for the 8/4 cotton.  Maybe if you closely watched as she went through the design of her blankets, and made notes – you could create a unique one of your own.

Kelley Rodino
                                                    Participant

Thanks Sandra

I did watch the video and heard Jane say 8/4 cotton, but then came here to ask about color and the questions/answers about kits for the blankets referred to Harrisville shetland. I’m good on sett, and on Jane’s design.

I’m sure that I can design some of my own – trying determine the best way to get that subtle color – that’s why I’m asking – the blankets she showed are exactly the color I’m looking to weave.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by Kelley Rodino.
                                                      Sandra
                                                      Keymaster

I’m sorry Kelley, the reference to Harrisville was a mistake I made and I have deleted that item.  Sometimes there are questions coming in on different threads and obviously I had lost my thread.  The blankets are 8/4 cotton, the centre pattern is from Asymmetry and Jane does tell us exactly what the colours of the stripes are.  The warp looks like it was white because the backs of the hems are all white.  I don’t know what colours she chose as weft but one looks like it might have been a soft grey and there is one called slate.  However, I am guessing!!!  There are some beautiful soft colours in 8/4 cotton to choose from but weaving them on a white warp will soften them more.  Hope this helps.  I’m not on Saltspring, so I can’t nip over to the studio to see the blankets in person.

Kelley Rodino
                                                        Participant

Thanks so much Sandra – ordering my yarn today!

Happy weaving!!

Viewing 18 reply threads
                                                      • The forum ‘Season 4 – Twills on Four Weaving Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.