Thoughts on 4.6.3 – Colour and Weave on Twill, At the Table

Forums Weaving Discussion Online Guild Discussion Season 4 – Twills on Four Weaving Discussion Thoughts on 4.6.3 – Colour and Weave on Twill, At the Table

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Ginette
      Keymaster

Let us know your thoughts on 4.6.3 – Colour and Weave on Twill, At the Table

ccrawford20
        Participant

Great weaving!

Richardsjh
          Participant

The shawls at the table were gorgeous.  What colors of Harrisville wool were used?

Sandra
              Keymaster

They are lovely, aren’t they?  Linda wove those and I’ll text her on Monday for the answer to your question.

Sandra
                Keymaster

Linda has answered me – “They are in Blackberry, Tundra and Suede.“  Have fun creating your own 😃

francet08
                Participant

Hi, I would like to know , how much epi for the first towel? 18 or 20 . thank you

Sandra
                  Keymaster

Jane has all her recommended setts in her Master Sett Chart.  For tea towels in Twill she recommends 20-22 epi for “a nice drapey cloth”.  Hope this helps.

Nancy Sandstrom
                    Participant

Love this lesson – really pulls it all together.

Structural question. In weaving both the gamps and a throw using 8/4 cotton (sett is 12), both borders were 8 ends. I have found in weaving the various twills that the borders are tighter – getting scrunched. Am I pulling the weft too much. I have wondered about spreading the last 4 ends on each side to every other slot in the reed to spread them out. Thoughts?

Sandra
                        Keymaster

I think it’s the way you are “pulling” your weft and beating.  Are you following Jane’s mantra – “Throw, Beat, Change, Beater Back”?  You can find an article on selvedges on the Knowledge Base which might help.  Try Jane’s suggestions and your selvedges should improve.  Let us know!

Nancy Sandstrom
                        Participant

Part of the challenge here is the width of the weaving (40″). I was trying the mantra, however with the width and the twill weave using a floating selvedge it just seemed more difficult. I have pulled off the first piece and have enough warp for a second throw. I will concentrate more on this one.

Ellen Black
                          Participant

Lindas shawls should be kits ! They are wonderful!

SueMcd
                            Participant

82C4BA03-A918-4E67-941F-2CB357772FB765B53235-71EB-48D9-805F-DA76E8FFAD09

was a bit whiney working with wool all the way thru the 10 yds. But now that it’s wet finished and out to dry! Oh my! I love the end result and learned so much (again!). Thank you, Jane!

Katie Weston
                              Participant

IMG_9336

I did a bit of maths to get this to work in 8/2 cotton, but still use the full width of my loom. I know it means the motifs are smaller, 8/4 cotton is hard to get here, and I’m trying to work from stash. I also swapped to a golden yellow and dark red as my light and dark, with a mid blue as my dividers.

These pieces are all the samples, plus my little colour experiments, when I wove 2 inches in 2/2 twill with all the colours I had, no matter what they were and if I thought they’d work. I’m really please I did that because there’s some combinations here that work so much better than I expected, and some of the ones I thought I’d like don’t work at all.

I’d got the rest of the warp to weave, so am going to use the samples and the colours to turns what’s left in to more tea towels.

Sandra
                                  Keymaster

What a fabulous set of samples you have created, Katie!  And, you’ve learned how to adapt a draft to make it work for you.  Well done!  I look forward to seeing photos of your tea towels.

Katie Weston
                                  Participant

Finished the rest of my warp, and just managed to hem them.

One uses stripes of different colours in varying widths. There’s 1 repeat of 2 inch wide stripe and then 3 repeats of 1 inch wide stripes.

The other uses 2 dark, 1 light, but using navy and cream as the dark and light. Then I just wove off the rest of the warp in a pale green.

IMG_9392

Viewing 10 reply threads
                                • The forum ‘Season 4 – Twills on Four Weaving Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.