Thoughts on 4.5.1 – Large Threadings Gamp, Pre-Game Show and Tell

Forums Weaving Discussion Online Guild Discussion Season 4 – Twills on Four Weaving Discussion Thoughts on 4.5.1 – Large Threadings Gamp, Pre-Game Show and Tell

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Ginette
      Keymaster

Let us know your thoughts on 4.5.1 – Large Threadings Gamp, Pre-Game Show and Tell

D B F
        Participant

Welcome Linda and congrats to you both.  The new kits look great.   As a new weaver, looking to others for inspiration is very helpful.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by D B F.
          mclay
          Participant

I’m a bit bit confused by the included Snowflake draft, especially as there is no information provided with it about why it is included, what size reed is recommended, or recommendations re fiber, or sett, etc.: in other words, none of the information that Jane always provides for her projects. Perhaps many members of the Guild are advanced enough weavers that they don’t need this additional info, but surely I am not the only one who appreciates this additional help?

Ginette
              Keymaster

Hi mclay,

Is there any specific yarn you wanted to try the Canadian Snowflake draft with? We can certainly chip in some ideas for you and also, what reeds do you have for your loom? That’ll help to figure out the sleying.

The draft itself, the threading would be 1 repeat and the treadling 1 repeat as well. Depending on the width you’d like for this project and the sett of the yarn, we can help determine how many threading repeat you would need.

It’s such a nice draft that Laura has made.

Dayamitra Blenman
              Participant

Hi all,

Please all take care and be safe at this time!

I look forward to trying out these gamps. I agree with mclay about needing more info on the snowflake draft. It looks so gorgeous and I’d love to try it! I’m also excited about working with silk and linen. I’ve recently begun weaving with linen and love it. I also love working with silk and can'[t wait to see how the two compliment each other!

heidi
                Participant

Love the show n tell. What yarn did you use for the baby blankets? 12 EPI & 12 PPI but using what?

thx

Ginette
                  Keymaster

Hi Heidi, that would be the 8/4 cotton from the previous episode that Jane used for that baby blanket. It’s so lovely!

D B F
                    Participant

Jane,  this episode really did alot to help me pull everything together!  Thanks for the encouragement you share in each episode, nudging us to try new things and create pieces that reflect ourselves.

Thank Laura Fry also for sharing her design.  I mentioned in an earlier comment that it would be great if others would share  their patterns, and that is what she did.   I understand weaving much like sewing, the pattern is the inspiration, but the “alterations” need to be done by the one actually making the piece to fit themselves   It is starting to come together!!!

As well, you are giving us the tools to be able to “read” other works and “decifer” the pattern for ourselves.You are a great instructor and artist.  The only disappointment I have is the 5 weeks between episodes while I must wait to see more, LOL

• This reply was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by D B F. Reason: Grammer
                      Penny
                      Participant

My attempt at the Canadian Snowflake draft. I used 3/14 unmercerised cotton in the warp and weft Sett at 20epi. I had made the warp some time ago for another project and had to adapt the draft a bit to make it fit which is why the edges look a bit odd. I wove it both TAW and Rosie fashion separating the sections with basket weave. It’s made a lovely soft drapey scarf and I’m so grateful to you Jane and Laura!

F97756B6-6D35-4CCC-A1F8-152EDFEC2B25

Penny

jenell.pezzulich
                        Participant

I want to try the gamp. I just bought a TON of 8/2 cotton and I can’t buy more yarn just now. Is it possible to do the gamp with 8/2  or is there a reason I might not realize and it has to be done in 8/4? (I know it will be smaller in the reed.) Thanks!

Sandra
                            Keymaster

Of course you can do it in 8/2!  Just change your sett, work out your width in reed, and away you go!

Kelley Rodino
                            Participant

The baby blankets are wonderful! Just one question – what color(s) did you use for weft? It looks like maybe a charcoal for the body of the blanket and then the plum for borders and stripes? Is that correct?

Sorry – one other question – the weaving width on my loom is 26″ – what length would you weave a blanket to with that width?

Thanks so much!

• This reply was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by Kelley Rodino.
                              Marty Wink
                              Participant

Hi ladies,

I’m looking at the lovely Canadian snowflake draft. I’m assuming it is two colors but need help determining the warp color sequence. How do I read it to identify my warp thread colors?

Thanks so much for your insights!

Marty

Sandra
                                  Keymaster

Hi Marty.  In the draft that Laura Fry shared with us – the warp is a solid colour and the colour you choose as weft draws out the snow flake.  Easy peasy!

Viewing 10 reply threads
                              • The forum ‘Season 4 – Twills on Four Weaving Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.