Thoughts on 4.4.3 – Point Twill At the Table

Forums Weaving Discussion Online Guild Discussion Season 4 – Twills on Four Weaving Discussion Thoughts on 4.4.3 – Point Twill At the Table

Viewing 22 reply threads
  • Author
      Ginette
      Keymaster

Let us know your thoughts on 4.4.3 – Point Twill At the Table

D B F
        Participant

As a relatively new weaver, I have learned so much from your instruction Jane.  So very pleased and blessed that we found you.  But one of our favorite parts of the segments is the show and tell your friends and others produce at the “on the table”  videos.  We would be so grateful if these great artists and craftpersons would be willing to share there threading and treadling patterns with their work.   Maybe a pattern section?  It would be so helpful for those of us just learning to combine and create.  Thank you all so much for sharing.

sjostedt
          Participant

I agree with DBF–and I would love to be able to buy patterns for things in the “on the table” segments. They are  beautiful, and patterns would be so helpful for newer weavers.

Suzanne Labreche
            Participant

Exquisite samples in show n tell – so inspiring. Thank you to all the contributors.

Robyn B
              Participant

I was also thinking the same as DBF.  Would so love the patterns.  I know Jane has every confidence in us to produce these patterns ourselves, and maybe one day I’ll be there.  But in the meantime, would love to have those designers make their patterns available for purchase.  This was a great episode.  Thanks Jane and crew!

sylvia.lowry
                Participant

Dear Jane,
                  You explained clearly the various tie-ups for twills. May I share my 4 shaft tie-up which once set up, will allow for every conceivable treadling and you will never have to go under your loom again, just as long as you are willing to treadle with both feet at the same time.

Start by designating 2 of your 6 treadles for plain weave – 1.3 and 2.4. Tie the remaining 4 as a direct tie-up – 1, 2, 3, 4.This will give you every combination of treadles possible. To raise 123, one foot on 1.3 and the other on 2. You get the idea.

At 89, I can no longer get under a loom but I can weave any 4 shaft pattern. I hope this helps anyone else with the same limitations as me to keep on weaving. As for my 8 shaft…that’s another story.
                  Happy weaving.
                  Sylvia

Jenni Gormley
                  Participant

Are the tie ups that you are explaining for a Jack loom, or sinking shed? Do I need to do the inverse for my Artisat?

Sandra
                      Keymaster

They are for a rising shed loom, like a Leclerc Artisat, which is a Jack Loom.  Have you had a chance to practice your drawdowns on the graph paper that we were able to download at the beginning of the season?  It always helps me visually see what my cloth will look like should I have any doubts.

Jane
                        Keymaster

Hi Sylvia,

I did provide that tie-up in the Ganges Sunrise Kit…for weaving the 3/1 and 1/3 twills on 4 shafts with only 6 treadles….and I thought I had given it in the episode…but alas….I must not have.  We are doing some filming next week for Episode 5 and I’ll make sure it is in the notes to add….there are a bunch of little things I’ll forgotten.  I need to make even better notes for filming 🙂

Congratulations on weaving at 89…..what an inspiration.  I sure hope I’m weaving at 89.

xoxox Jane

Jane
                        Keymaster

To all you kids wanting patterns…..we are definitely thinking about it.  Time is always the issue for us and especially right now.  I have made a note of this and we’ll see what we can do in the future.  Maybe we’ll be able to add that next year.  The up coming show and tells are so much fun.  We film again on Monday with a very small crew, like 1 camera man.  Hopefully we’ll be able to get  the same kind of footage.  Fingers crossed.

carol1855wlr
                          Participant

I really enjoyed this Episode and learned so much!  Thank You!  I am waiting on the arrival of my new loom so as of yet have not woven the samples.  My new, to me, loom will be a Baby Wolf and it has a 26″ weaving width.  My question:  If I wove my samples in 8/2 cotton sett about 20 would that preserve the essence of the sample lessons? This would give me a kitchen towel sized sample.  My alternative thought would be to use a sett closer to 24 and put basket weave borders to make up the width I would like in my towels.  Jane your thoughts and recommendations would be greatly appreciated.  My baby wolf is an 8 shaft, so I have plenty of room to add borders with specific shafts.

Sandra
                              Keymaster

Hi Carol, why not take it up to the mid-point of Jane’s recommendations on the Master Sett Chart for Twill using 8/2 cotton.  You could add a wider border or wider dividers between your gamp squares.  You’d get a firmer tea towel at 22 epi/ppi.  Just one thought 😉

aspellofwinter
                              Participant

425E491C-49C0-464B-8B7B-B6D89251EA7A

I used what I had on hand to use all the things I’ve learnt to date for this Rosepath scarf. Sorry the image is sideways.

aspellofwinter
                                Participant

Sandra I tied up my Louet David 12 32 34 14.  I  now have a feeling my cloth is woven right side down. I thought that since Jane was using Louet and singing these numbers for us I was correct for a sinking shed. Now I’m in doubt. Please can you clarify so I’ll be weaving my cloth with the pattern in front of me for the large threadings coming next.

Should I have tied up 34 14 12 23 ?

Sandra
                                    Keymaster

The draft is for rising shed looms – in order to see the exact pattern that Jane was weaving, your David could be tied up as you suggested for the sinking shed loom – 34,14, 12, 23.

aspellofwinter
                                    Participant

Thanks for the confirmation.

Joy Sceviour
                                      Participant

Twill Scarves,  May 2020
                                        I liked the idea of the twill gamp, so I took the first point twill draft and added it to the last wide twill section, along with the borders, and made 4 different scarves. The warp was merino wool but the wefts were not. The rose coloured and the variegated scarves were merino, silk and possum fur yarn from New Zealand. The teal was a handpainted shetland wool. The black one was from sock yarn. The end results were as soft as mother love and very warm.

Sandra
                                          Keymaster

WOW, Joy!  What a wonderful interpretation of the twill drafts.

kfagan727
                                          Participant

Wow,  Sylvia Lowry – I want to be like you weaving still at 89 years of age!  Many thanks for this tie-up tip.

Clare
                                            Participant

I just finished hand sewing these hems last night and it was sad to finish this project— I loved the process so much. Tried to do most of Jane’s sampling ideas but turned them all into baby blankets for a rash of pending newborns. The warp was such an unusual and beautiful choice, nothing I would have put together but so fun to sort out the weft colors. I was a little concerned about the sett of 12 but it washed up really well (no bleeding) and tightened up just enough in a hot dryer. Can’t wait to gift these. I think I might just have to keep the first sampler for myself!

IMG_7737 low res

• This reply was modified 6 months, 2 weeks ago by Clare.
                                                Sandra
                                                Keymaster

Those are beautiful, Clare and they will be loved and treasured by their wee recipients 😄

Clare
                                                Participant

Thanks Sandra, they are wrapped up and gone now. Nice to think they might become someone’s treasured blankie!

SueMcd
                                                  Participant

Just got this warp off the loom this evening and had to take pictures even before washing. Loved the learning, loved the 8/4, and excited to see what these are like when they are finally finished. Right now I’m just thrilled! Thanks Jane (and everyone!)

D98C088D-09B4-4BE8-942A-09FDEAFAE663

Elysa Dennett
                                                    Participant

I loved this episode.

Jane – I would like to add my vote to make that fabulous blanket at the end a lesson on its own.  It is just incredible. I have tried to study it and cannot imagine how she did that with the patterns we learned. It is so beautiful.

Also, Just wondering…why did you choose the David loom vs. the Spring loom for this weaving and the last episode (I think).  Is it easier to use, more compact, or for some other reason?

Thanks!

Sandra
                                                      Keymaster

Hi Elysa – Jane has a selection of looms in the Studio and is happy weaving on all of them.  I think the choice of a loom for a particular sample often comes down to which loom is available!  To get more of an idea of the differences in the two looms – I’m adding a link from the JST Knowledge Base comparing the two.

Ginny
                                                        Participant

I had such a good time with the Point Twill Gamp. This sample is using the last treadling sequence throughout, the extended point. 0F3CC046-3339-4DCD-A9A7-170D839D81F8

Kimberly Fitzgibbon
                                                          Participant
                                                            • I’m using a basket weave at the top and bottom of this sampler. I’d like to finish the edges with a folded over machine stitch edge verses the hem stitch. Is the basket weave stable enough, when machine zigzagged before cutting, or should I throw in a few picks of plain weave? Thank you!
                                                              Sandra
                                                              Keymaster

Hi Kimberley – there is no reason why you can’t – you have the PW tie-up on this gamp.

Jennifer Curran
                                                              Participant

That baby blanket in Show and Tell is seriously giving me heart palpitations – PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE consider selling that pattern!  The design is just brilliant.

Sandra
                                                                  Keymaster

It is beautiful, isn’t it Jennifer.  However, it’s not one of Jane’s patterns and therefore not hers to sell.  It was woven by Nicole, an incredible weaver that Jane knows.  I will, however, tell Jane of your interest.  You could, after taking a close look at Nicole’s blanket, design one of your own 😉

Sandra
                                                                    Keymaster

OK, Jennifer – today is a happy day!  Jane contacted Nicole and she is prepared to share that beautiful baby blankie pattern, but will not be able to get to it until the new year.  Hang tight – wishes sometimes do come true 😉

Jennifer Curran
                                                                    Participant

I knew good things were coming in 2021!

Viewing 22 reply threads
                                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.