Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
      Ginette
      Keymaster

Let us know your thoughts on 4.4.1 – Point Twill Theory

Georgene Mckenzie
        Participant

Hi Jane,

I would like to know how you convert or compare Canadian threads to American threads.  I used 5/2 on my last gamp.  I really don’t want to order more threads from you, however the shipping is so high, plus I have so much thread in my stash.  Could you send me a conversion chart, or whatever you can suggest.   I really loved doing the last gamp and am looking forward to doing this one.  Thanks so much.

Georgene Mckenzie – emckenzie@cox.net

Ginette
            Keymaster

Hi Georgene,

The 8/4 cotton that Jane uses is 840 yds per cone (1,680 yds/lb). You might be able to compare this weight to what you have on hand that you’ve purchased local to you. Another suggestion, is to compare the yarns with sample cards if you want to have a visual look. I always find sample cards so handy when I happen to have an ‘unknown’ cone of yarn I’m trying to compare or identify. Here’s the link to JST’s sample cards and these are the yarns Jane uses in the studio and for the online guild samples:

https://janestaffordtextiles.com/product-category/yarns/sample-cards/

Carol Burns
            Participant

Really feeling excited now about the possibilities on my table loom. Thanks😁

Pamela Mickelwait
              Participant

I have an 8 shaft loom and would like to use all of them. Would you give us the threading or teach us how to figure it out using 8 shafts.  Thanks so much.

fudsy1
                Participant

If you go to her FB page she just finished an 8 shaft warp doing this in the last few towels I’m fairly sure

cynthiakidder
                  Participant

My widest weaving width is 22 inches.  How might I modify this?

Thanks

Robyn B
                    Participant

Really excellent!  I got it!  Now I can see it in my head.  Thank you Jane.

2 questions:

I only have a 24″ weaving width.  Would it be better to keep the repeats and just do two blankets or reduce the repeats to put everything in 1 blanket

Is there a listing of the threads used in each episode?   I want to check to see if I already have the extra warp colors in the correct weight in my stash.  Thanks

• This reply was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by Robyn B.
                        Sandra
                        Keymaster

Jane answers your first question in the other videos in the series.  One suggestion she gives is to make separate warps, choose the number of segment widths that would fit on your loom, and weave them separately.  Or, just choose the ones that really appeal to you and just do those.

The kit lists are up for the first episodes and I’ve just asked about the availability of the list for the rest.

Lana
                        Participant

Hello,

While weaving the point twill gamp, I wanted to use hems (rather than fringe) for the baby blankets.  It just seemed more durable.  I planned on 8/2 for the hems in plain weave.  BUT, no plainweave in the basket weave divider sections with everything threaded 1,3.  So I decided to try basketweave for the hems.  It looked okay on the loom, but while trying to zigzag stitch between pieces, I could see that the picks were shifting. (Plus my old sewing machine wanted to eat this drapey fabric!)   I think I can stabilize these hems with a little extra “tucking and tacking” while hemming by hand.  But I was wondering, was there a better way to handle this?  Or should I have just stuck with hemstitching and fringe?  Thanks for an interesting lesson and any advice.

Sandra
                            Keymaster

Hi Lana – I haven’t woven that gamp in a long time, but looking at the draft, it looks like you could have woven plain weave for your hem.  You wouldn’t have had plain weave in the small sections of basket weave, but you might have been able to secure them with hand stitching.  However, the majority of your woven hem would have been in plain weave.  Does this make sense while you are looking at your cloth?

Lana
                            Participant

Yes, the design sections wove plain weave fine, but the 6 threads of basketweave dividers were all up or all down.   Securing them with hand stitching (“tucking and tacking”) was the best solution I could think of.  I was just looking for another opinion in case my brain had slipped out of gear.  Thanks for your response.

Lana

cynthiakidder
                              Participant

I came up with this for my 22″ loom.  The on-loom width is 20 1/4″.   Hope this helps someone else who has a narrower weaving width.Point Twill Gamp for 22 inch loom

Robyn B
                                Participant

Could you share this as a pdf or printable doc.  I’m in the same boat.  Thanks so much for the work you’ve done on this.  My email is rlb353@gmail.com.

Deborah
                                  Participant

This is for Georgene. Canada and most of Europe list their yarn sizes as 4/8 cotton, 2/8 cotton, 2/5 , etc. We yanks just reverse that so 8/4 cotton is 4/8 here (exactly the same), 8/2, 5/2, etc.  Does that help? And, as Ginette mentioned, you can always compare the yards per pound to see what might be equivalent.

For those of you with narrower looms, you can always substitute finer threads and a closer sett to get the same draft on your narrow loom. For example, this warp is 8/4 cotton at 34″ in the reed with a sett of 12 epi. If you thread those 408 ends in 8/2 cotton (2/8 Canadian) at 20 epi it will be about 20 ½” in the reed. Then you get the full effect of the lesson and have some lovely dish towels instead of a baby blanket. The math for this is easy, 408 ends divided by the width you need will give you the sett you need. Find a yarn that works at that sett.

I hope that helps!

Marty Wink
                                    Participant

Hi,

Would you be able to share the draft of the tea towels made by Kathy that Jane showed around the 43:00 minute mark?  They were striped and multi-colored.

Thanks!

Marty

Sandra
                                        Keymaster

Hi Marty, Jane shows us the possibilities and also shows us where other weavers have taken a particular structure and made it their own.  That is what she is encouraging us to do.  The drafts for items not woven by Jane, are not hers to share but I think if you sat down and started sketching ideas and graphics – you could create something just as striking but that would be uniquely yours.  Have fun!

Donna
                                        Participant

Greetings,

I am designing a point twill gamp, season 4, and want to do it on an eight shaft loom.  I think I got it (!), however, I am puzzled with the basket weave.  Do I thread on 3,3,1,1,3,3 or what for eight shafts?

Thanks

Sandra
                                            Keymaster

Donna, the best way for you to see what would happen, is to work it out on your graft paper to see for yourself if you would get long floats.  Jane will be covering 8 shaft twill further down the road but Season 5, Episode 1 is on Turned Twill.  You will get a wee lesson in an 8 shaft twill structure then.

camero1949
                                            Participant

My David is only 27 inches.  How do I modify the gamp to fit?

Sandra
                                                Keymaster

I’m cutting and pasting an answer from further back in this thread to the same question.  Hope it helps.

Jane answers your first question in the other videos in the series.  One suggestion she gives is to make separate warps, choose the number of segment widths that would fit on your loom, and weave them separately.  Or, just choose the ones that really appeal to you and just do those.

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                            • The forum ‘Season 4 – Twills on Four Weaving Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.