Thoughts on 4.3.1 – Introduction to Twill Threadings and Treadlings

Forums Weaving Discussion Online Guild Discussion Season 4 – Twills on Four Weaving Discussion Thoughts on 4.3.1 – Introduction to Twill Threadings and Treadlings

Viewing 21 reply threads
  • Author
      Ginette
      Keymaster

Let us know your thoughts on 4.3.1 – Introduction to Twill Threadings and Treadlings.

Edit: just adding in case you miss the comment below, if you’re looking for pages Page 6+, they are with the first PDF from Season 4 –  Episode 1 – Introduction to Twills.

The PDF is called Introduction to Twills, pages 1 through 14 – Season 4, Episode 1. For a quick find, go to All PDFs Page right here https://janestaffordtextiles.com/online-guild-episodes/pdfs/

• This topic was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by Ginette.
        diannedavenport
        Participant

pages 6+ are missing from the pdf

Jan Schumacher
          Participant

Yup, Dianne’s right.  Only pages 1 to 5 are available.

Ginette
            Keymaster

Hi Dianne,

Page 6+ are with the first PDF from Episode 1 Introduction to Twills. The PDF is called Introduction to Twills, pages 1 through 14 – Season 4, Episode 1. For a quick find, go to All PDFs Page right here https://janestaffordtextiles.com/online-guild-episodes/pdfs/

It’ll be at the bottom of the page. Enjoy the lesson!

diannedavenport
              Participant

I want to thank Jane and her staff for the early release of this episode.  I was ready for a new challenge as I had just taken a plain weave using sock yarn off my David.  And all I have going is some boucle wash cloths on my Jane.  Can you tell I’m an adult ADD. LOL

Carol Burns
                Participant

Thanks so much for working with four shafts. My weaving has improved from watching your videos. Stay safe.

Ellen Black
                  Participant

Love this lesson ! Thank you.    Even though I read above that the handouts are with the first episode, it would be helpful to have them with the lesson needed.  Thank you. Ellen

Penny
                    Participant

I’ve watched the video and thank you so much for explaining this so clearly. I am getting ready to make my warp but I have a problem. I am weaving on a 40cm Jane table loom and I don’t think I can go as wide at 151/2 inches. I’m not sure how to proceed. I could just put fewer ends in the straight threading section, but I don’t want my gamp to look unbalanced. Should I reduce each section so they all weave as square if so, i’m not sure how to do that. Any help would be appreciated!

Ginette
                        Keymaster

Hi Penny,

Your Jane 40 has a weaving with of 15.7″, you should be fine weaving the sample, you’ll me maximizing your whole width. I have a Jane 70 and have used the full with without issues.

laurarose
                        Participant

I have only watched the first section so far and just finished my super fun homework of filling in the draw-downs.  Now, I have been weaving for about 4 years and I totally get the theoretical point of draw-downs and have done a few, but usually when watching a video about this they make you do it all yourself and I lose steam after about 1.  It was so much fun having the print outs and knowing why we were doing each one.  I think you (or someone!) could sell an “adult coloring book” of draw-downs with explanations (the explanations are important) for the why of each one in a sensible progression like these.  You would sell at least 1 copy! So calming in these troubling times. Easier and prettier than a sudoku or crossword!  I might actually make the gamp project the first time ever (of course I said that about the previous sample and didn’t do it either.)  Take care up there.

wbcostume8
                          Participant

Jane
                            Thank you for so clearly describing how twill shapes work. I wish that I had heard this when I first started weaving with twills!
                            I understand so much more now about twills and their threading and treadling.
                            Cheers
                            Wendy
                            Melbourne

Mardi Naythons
                            Participant

Hi.

I have just started watching this episode and would like to make the gamp, but I don’t want to put on 6 yards for this project.  What is the suggested length for just making the gamp?

Thanks,

Mardi

Sandra
                                Keymaster

It basically is up to you as to how long you weave that gamp.  If you, for instance, allowed 1 yard for the gamp, then just add the amount of waste you have with your particular loom, add a wee buffer and make the warp.

MaryAnn Kull
                                Participant

As usual, I’ve thoroughly enjoyed this episode. I’ve done point twill in a study group but your instruction and the gamp have made it so much clearer.

I did have one problem interpreting the diagrams on Page 8 concerning warp and weft predominant. It was not clear to me which tie up I should use on my jack loom. Consequently after enlisting my husband’s help (knee replacement and getting down to and up from the floor  are not a good mix) I had to have him redo the tie up so I could experience the warp predominant weaving. Perhaps you could label those diagrams a bit more clearly.

Thanks for making weaving even more enjoyable.

Sandra
                                    Keymaster

An answer to your question from Jane:

So glad you enjoyed the lesson 🙂

This is a good question and I know I went over this in episode 1 but there is so much to remember.  On a Jack loom a 1/3 tie-up, where you just tie-up 1,2,3,4 will be weft predominant because you are only raising 1 shaft.  That leaves 3 shafts down and you will be covering 3 warp threads with your weft…so you see more weft.  If you do that on a counter-balance loom it will be their reverse, it will be warp-faced because only 1 shaft will be going down leaving 3 up and you will be going under those.

On a Jack Loom, a 3/1 tie-up where you raise 123,234,341,412 will be warp predominant because you are lifting up 3 and your weft will be going under them, therefore you see more warp threads and the exact opposite will happen on a counter-balance or sinking shed loom.

It is so good to be able to think this through.  Everyone has different looms.
                                      And for anyone reading this that has a counter-marche loom, just remember that your lower lamms are your raisers…they act like a Jack loom and your upper lamms are your sinkers, they act like a sinking shed loom.

Hope this helps,

Jane

MaryAnn Kull
                                    Participant

Oops. The diagrams are on page 6.

Brenda Reimer
                                      Participant

With the PDF included with this lesson, page 4 shows some drawings of twill variations labelled #1-7. I cannot find Jane going over these drawings in the videos for this lesson and I am stumped with drawing #6. There is a <, then underneath a 3T with strike through it.  It is different than the ‘3 tabby’ written in previous examples.  Can someone tell me what this means or where to find it in the video? Thanks so much.

Ginette
                                          Keymaster

Hi Brenda,

I’m just working on the index today, so hopefully this is good timing for you. Try

-sample #6 solid colours, stripes in 2/2 twill, 4.6.1, 14:17

Ginette
                                            Keymaster

Got it Brenda! 4.3.2 at the 39:21 mark. Basically, she’s woven point twill threading starting on a different treadle each time, with 3 pick combo of basket weave.

Brenda Reimer
                                            Participant

Hi Ginette,

I’m not finding 4.6.1

Brenda

Ginette
                                                Keymaster

oh shoot Brenda!! That is my fault. I’m just working on the next episode which hasn’t been aired yet!! So silly of me. So now your question is completely different than what I gave you! Give me a few and I’ll try and find it for you

Brenda Reimer
                                                Participant

Thanks Ginette. This was the diagram in question…I figured out how to upload it. The one you describe is actually the same as #7. Oh well I’m on to the next Gamp anyways! Take care, loving this online guild.F45C4844-7BF9-4FC5-A018-A81C00C39F6D

Ginette
                                                    Keymaster

Oh funny, I really thought I had sample #6! I think I didn’t have enough coffee that day 😉

Ginny
                                                    Participant

I am curious about the use of 8/4 for twills in the samples.  I understand thread selection is dependent on the fabric use but as a rule, is it preferable to use a thicker thread like 8/4 on a twill so that you see the movement?  As my weaving skills advance, I tend to choose thinner thread rather than thicker.

Sandra
                                                        Keymaster

You can weave twill with any weight yarn, Ginny!  By doing the various twill gamps in different weight cotton, you’ll get an idea of what twill looks like in those weights.  You’ll also get an idea of what they will look and feel like in different end uses.  Jane has shown us how fabulous 8/4 cotton is in twill blankies. Gamps can have many ways of helping us plan future projects – not just in structure.

Judy
                                                        Participant

Hi,

I do not have a page 6 to download.  I hope you can help me with this.

Thanks,

Judy

Ginette
                                                            Keymaster

Hi Judy,

Just to add to Sandra’s comment, here’s a screenshot of where page 6 is from a previous comment above:

Screen Shot 2020-08-15 at 6.45.23 AM

Sandra
                                                            Keymaster

Hi Judy – not sure which page 6 you are missing – the best way for you to check out all the pdfs is to go to the list here to double-check. Let us know if you can’t find what you are missing.

Judy
                                                              Participant

Thanks Sandra and Ginette!  I’ve found it!

Mary Margaret
                                                                Participant

Wanted to say thank you, Jane, for sharing your vast knowledge with us in such a clear and fun manner.  I’ve been weaving for 10 years, yet while watching this video (4.3.1, the Intro to Twill threadings and treadlings), I had at least three separate “eureka” moments – and that’s before I even started the written ‘fill in the draft draw down’ homework. Thanks again, Jane and staff. We appreciate you so much!

Bridget Kirke
                                                                  Participant

I have to agree with laura rose about colouring in these drafts.  I have been doing exactly that to help me understand everything a bit better.  I found that it was compelling and after a couple of hours my anxiety levels had dwindled completely!!  Colouring books please Jane!!  The way you teach Jane is simply marvellous.  Thank you.

Viewing 21 reply threads
                                                                • The forum ‘Season 4 – Twills on Four Weaving Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.