Thoughts on 4.1.6 – At the Loom, Introduction to Twill

Forums Weaving Discussion Online Guild Discussion Season 4 – Twills on Four Weaving Discussion Thoughts on 4.1.6 – At the Loom, Introduction to Twill

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • Author
      Ginette
      Keymaster

Let us know your thoughts on 4.1.6 – At the Loom, Introduction to Twill

strong61
        Participant

Thank you Jane.  Learned so much.  I have lots of warp left so I will play until it is all used up.

Jeannie
          Participant

Hello

I am close to finishing the 2 stripe warp.  I did all the lessons samples first and then wove the scarf.  I am part way through weaving a second scarf on the warp.  The left hand selvedge started looking strange like the tension was different.  When I investigated I realized the fabric was not winding onto the front beam completely evenly.  It is close but not perfect.  When I left some of the warp empty, because I plan to do fringes, some of the unwoven warp threads did not wind on top of the fabric, they slipped down.  There are several inches 8+” of unwoven warp between the two scarves.  This is hard to describe in words.  If you could see my loom it would be clear what happened.  I put 3 wooden sticks at even intervals around the front beam, and I think this has helped quite a bit.  Is there a better solution for this warp?  I did wonder if I should unwind what is on the front beam and try to straighten it out.  I am not confident I could do that.

In future I will check to make sure things are winding perfectly.  If there is a trick to help this not happen in the future it would be wonderful to know.  I have taken some pictures and I will add them to this post.  I took them after I added the sticks and wove a bit more.

Thanks.  Jeannie

Oops.  The picture files are too large.  I will resize them and put them in another post. J

Ginette
              Keymaster

Hi Jeannie,

I’ve done that way too many times! Your warp doesn’t look too much out of angle actually and your sticks seem to be doing the job. I would keep weaving on unless you find that at the fell where your beater is at rest, it’s really off.

You can unwind and rewind. Best way to do that is to have someone helping you. Once it’s unwound, grab a lease stick or warp separator stick, longer than the width of your fabric and place it under the woven fabric and make your woven fabric taunt by backing up as far as needed. Then start winding on making sure there’s good tension on the woven fabric so it can wind on evenly and add your sticks where the width of the fabric starts changing. Hope this makes sense! It’s hard to describe but you described your problem really well actually!

Jeannie
              Participant

2 photos of selvedge issue.  Thanks in advance for any help.  Jeannieleftsiderightside

Jeannie
                Participant

Thanks Ginette.  I think I will keep weaving and hope for the best.

Jeannie

rita.msmiller
                  Participant

oh dear, it seems that the last half of this video taping was using an 8 shaft loom?  I only have 4 shafts so this won’t work for those of us that have only a 4 shaft loom…. I was a bit confused trying to understand this… can you get a weft predominant on a 4 shaft, and a warp predominant on a 4 shaft?

thank you for clarifying this section.

Ginette
                      Keymaster

Hi Rita,

Jane weaves on a 4 shaft loom, and yes you can weave a weft or warp predominant on a 4 shaft loom. How many treadles does your loom have? Most 4 shafts come with 6 treadles.  As the loom Jane is using had 10 treadles she can set up both for warp & weft predominant without having to go under the loom and retie for one or the other and all you need to do is if you’re going to weave weft predominant, set up your treadles for it plus your Plain Weave. When you want to switch to warp predominant, you’ll  need to undo those treadles and set them up again for warp predominant. Give it a try 🙂

Sony Baron
                      Participant

Hi, I posted a new thread yesterday, but of course I can’t find it… 😱 So,  I will piggyback on this one here. Can you please tell me what the tie up for a warp faced twill look like? Jane said she changed it ot 1 2 3 4, but I am not getting it. I have an 8 shaft loom if that makes a difference to the answer. Many thanks!

Sandra
                          Keymaster

Hi Sony, Jane was giving you the tie-up for a sinking shed loom (which she was weaving on) – warp predominant – which is shaft 1 tied up on treadle 1, shaft 2 tied up on the 2nd treadle, etc.  On a rising shed loom, it would be – treadle 1 tied up to 2,3,4; treadle 2 tied up to 1,3,4, treadle 3 tied up to 1,2,4 and treadle 4 tied up to 1,2,3. It still confuses me ;-).  All you need to worry about is whether your loom is rising or sinking shed and draw your draft on the graph paper in our Twill package, and you’ll be able to see it better. With an 8 shaft loom, you could tie up the extra treadles with the opposite tie-up to the first 4, however, it easy to change in the middle of a sample, the way Jane did.  Hope this helps.

Sony Baron
                          Participant

Oh. Now I get it. Thank you Sandra. I have a countermarch loom, and I keep forgetting to translate the tie up to both sinking and rising. Hopefully it now sinks in (no pun intended) 🙂

With Gratitude!

rita.msmiller
                            Participant

thank you for your reply….

to ask another question… I have two looms.

One is a Cranbrook with 4 shafts, and 8 treadles…..

My question:  how can I use the extra two treadles, i.e.  if i do a 2/2 twill and then have two used for the PW…. could I do something like Jane did with the 10 treadles?  curious as to how use these extra pedals?

Sandra
                                Keymaster

You could tie-up the other set to give yourself a 3/1 twill to play with, give yourself a warp or weft predominant twill, as Jane demonstrates.  Just make sure they are all well marked 😉

Amanda
                                Participant

I wish you had filmed hemstitching on a particular shaft, because you’ve always hemstitched on plain weave on a neutral warp with no particular shaft in mind. I have a very vague idea what the heck you’re talking about.

Sandra
                                    Keymaster

Amanda, have you arrived at Season 4.3.2 yet?  Jane demonstrated in this episode, how she hemstitched across the Small Threadings Gamp, with twills.  This might help you understand that there can be flexibility with different structures.

Diane
                                    Participant

Hi Jane,

I absolutely love the online guild and have learned so much!

Is there any way to fix a threadaling error after the scarf is off the loom?

Thanks

Sandra
                                        Keymaster

Hi Diane, have you finished your scarf – i.e. washed it?  It is difficult to repair errors after the item and therefore tension has been removed, but even more difficult if it’s been washed.  I love your word threadaling – are you referring to a threading error, or a treadling  error?  Either would be extremely difficult to fix.  If I have an error like that, I just smile and call it my personal “design element” 😉

Ginny
                                        Participant

Sandra, thank you for clarifying how to create a weft or warp dominant twill when you only have 6 treadles.  I was confused on the 10 treadle tie up.

Katie Weston
                                          Participant

IMG_8226

I had great fun going off-piste with this gamp, I know grey and white are classically simple, but I just couldn’t quite bring myself to not introduce some colour. I expanded the warp widthways to use the full width of my Louet Erica 50cm, and turned it in to a set of tea-towels, and then used some of my own handspun Giant Himalayan Stinging Nettle to finished off the last bit of a 6yard warp.

Sandra
                                            Keymaster

Wonderful!  Handspun stinging nettle caught my eye – it will be interesting to see how it works in a tea towel used every day 😉  I’ve never seen it spun.

Katie Weston
                                              Participant

It’s pretty similar to ramie, though slightly less fine. I have a commercially made cushion that uses ramie, and I love the feel of the fabric.

It’s also really eco friendly, needs next to no additional water to grow, and is grown without herbicides, pesticides or fertiliser, and helps communities in Nepal .

https://hilltopcloudshop.co.uk/products/wild-giant-himalayan-stinging-nettle-combed-top-50g-100g-dhg

Sandra
                                                  Keymaster

Thanks for the information, Katie.  Is it easy to spin – more like cotton or linen?  Just curious – there was a time in my life when I was up to a challenging spin, now I spin for relaxation 😉

Katie Weston
                                                  Participant

It’s a bit like an easier to draft linen, more like pure ramie in staple length (which is what I’m spinning right now) but like linen it does benefit from being spun with moist fingers. If you’ve spun linen then I think it would be a straightforward spin!

Bridget Kirke
                                                    Participant

I am loving everything about weaving with Jane but this section helped me make up my mind what to do with my ready made multi coloured bright warp for my Saori 4 shaft with 6 treadles loom (counterbalance).  I think it will probably look best in plain weave using a greyish colour in the weft but will also try a bit of 1/3 twill as I just love twill.  Mainly I will just play!

Betsy S.
                                                      Participant

I have been working on the Simple Stripe sample and scarf.  I pulled the first 5 yards off the loom so that I could look at the different segments woven.  At the very beginning I wove BW and hemstitched then did a little plain weave with a pattern.  I can’t figure out what I did (!) but I like it.  I’ve studied my color and weave gamp but don’t see anything like it.  Can you point me to a pattern directory or help me determine how I created this?  I set my treadling up with PW on outside pedals and straight draw twill on the center 4.  I’m learning so much, but still have a ways to go on reading the cloth!

533AC263-9430-4276-B0FF-758112CB2E82

Ginette
                                                          Keymaster

Hi Betsy,

That has happened to me as well a few times! Did you sort out what you did?

Jacquelyn Luke
                                                          Participant

Quick question–when weaving basket weave, can you use a double bobbin shuttle, and only throw it once?  I just got a double bobbin shuttle, and haven’t used it yet.  Thanks.

Jacquie

Viewing 18 reply threads
                                                        • The forum ‘Season 4 – Twills on Four Weaving Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.