Thoughts on 3.7.3 – Weaving a Tube and Two Separate Layers

Forums Weaving Discussion Online Guild Discussion Season 3 – Pushing the Boundaries of Plain Weave Thoughts on 3.7.3 – Weaving a Tube and Two Separate Layers

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Ginette
      Keymaster

Let us know your thoughts on 3.7.3 – Weaving a Tube and Two Separate Layers.

camero1949
        Participant

Jane after I am finished my double width piece, when do I hemstitch?

Jane
            Keymaster

I don’t hemstitch on double width fabric. I just twist the fringes and then full it.

brgila
            Participant

Hi. Can you post the tie up for a countermarch loom. I have a Lovett Spring 8 shaft loom. Thank you.

Jane
                Keymaster

The tie-up is the same. The lower lammns on a counter-marche are risers (like a jack loom) and the upper lammns on a counter-marche are the sinkers (like a counter-balance loom). If it says tie-up harness 1 you do that on your lower lamm and tie-up 2,3,4 to your upper lamms… that will make harness 1 go up and 2,3,4 go down….just like in the video. So tie-up the numbers in the box to your lower lammns and everything that is left over will get tied to your upper lamms.

brgila
                Participant

Sorry, I have a Louet Spring 8 shaft loom.

Joyce
                  Participant

Is there somewhere in Season 1 or 2 that you demonstrate the tie up area of the counterbalance loom. The baby wolfe looked so much easier to change tie ups than my counterbalance loom. Perhaps I don’t have it set up correctly? I was hoping to see that in this episode, but alas…..

Ginette
                      Keymaster

Hi Joyce,

In Season 1, all about looms, Jane explains the counterbalance loom on a Fanny.
                        From the Index: Season 1, Episode 8.1 – Counter-Balance Loom. You’ll find where she shows the tie-up/treadles at the 16:24 mark.

fridacanon04
                      Participant

Hi Jane,

Did you do any modifications to the selvages of the warp when weaving the tubes? I have always read you must have an odd number of ends in the warp so you don’t end up with a double end at each side.
                        Thanks

Jane
                          Keymaster

I only had to modify the double width, not the tube.

Dori
                          Participant

In the DWDW you had the 3/2 thread on the fold side that you removed. If I am going from the DWDW piece to the tube on the same warp, do I need to add the regular warp thread back in??

Sandra
                              Keymaster

I would say, logically, yes – because you would have two warp threads being woven in the same pick otherwise.  Hopefully it’s long enough for you to bring forward and weave into the beginning of the tube.

Renee Laffey
                              Participant

Is it possible to weave this project on a Louett Jane 8 shaft table loom or other 4 shaft table looms?

Thanks.

Sandra
                                  Keymaster

Every project in the JST Online Guild series so far is designed to work on 4 shaft looms, as long as the loom is wide enough.  Go for it and have fun!

Viewing 7 reply threads
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.