Thoughts on 3.7.2 – Weaving Double Width at the Loom

Forums Weaving Discussion Online Guild Discussion Season 3 – Pushing the Boundaries of Plain Weave Thoughts on 3.7.2 – Weaving Double Width at the Loom

Viewing 26 reply threads
  • Author
      Ginette
      Keymaster

Let us know your thoughts on 3.7.2 – Weaving Double Width at the Loom.

WoolMoon
        Participant

I am enjoying seeing how this is done. I remember doing it when I was first taking weaving lessons, but haven’t done it since then and that was many years ago. I get a little nervous about the joined edge being too loose. Thanks for teaching us!

Ellen Black
          Participant

Jane you always explain things so well, and it clicks for me. Thank you! You mentioned draw in, and to be mindful. How much draw in if any is expected in this project? Ellen

Jane
              Keymaster

Hi Ellen, Your draw in will be normal on the open sides so for me that is around 1/2” and sometimes more depending on how open the sett it. It is the fold side you have to be mindful of. You will have some draw-in you just don’t want too much because that is what makes it look heavy in the middle.
                Hope this helps.

cshortcake
              Participant

Can I still do hem stitching on double weave?

Ginette
                  Keymaster

Hi cshortcake,
                    It would be difficult to hemstitch your bottom layer on the loom. Depending on what yarns you’re using, if it’s a wool that you’ll full you can just twist the fringes. If it’s something like cotton, you could machine stitch once the fabric is off the loom and opened. If you’re weaving a bag, then you can weave both layers together and that will seal it then you can machine stitch afterwards and leave some nice short untwisted fringes.

Keri Campbell
                  Participant

Win am not entirely sure why you added the blue thread to the fold edge and removed the warp thread that was there. Also, what to you do with it once the project is finished?(I feel a little dense asking)

Keri Campbell
                    Participant

Sorry, that comment should read “I am not” -not ‘Win’ lol sorry

Keri Campbell
                      Participant

Never mind! I rewatched and listened properly and I get it! Lol

Geraldine
                        Participant

Has Jane covered splicing at the join in a previous class I can’t remember

Geraldine
                          Participant

Sorry Jane just mentioned it was episode three

strong61
                            Participant

The treadle sequence reflect a checking shed. In the video, Jane shows the treadling 1/2, 1/2/3, 1/2/4. I do not see the checking shed 1/2 set up. Could you tell me if I should set up 1/2 as a checking shed? and why? Maybe I missed something.

Sandra
                                Keymaster

The best way to see what Jane is talking about is to look at the print-out that came with the Double Width lesson. The different drafts, including the checking sheds, are on pages 2 and 3. Hope this helps!

strong61
                                Participant

Thank you, I found it in the video – the checking shed is placed on two free treadles 1/2 to check your work on the loom – can you run your hand through it

fudsy1
                                  Participant

when a person is done with the project do you end on the top/ 1st -shaft 1?

Sandra
                                      Keymaster

I haven’t woven double width for quite a while but, that makes sense to me 🙂 That way you wouldn’t have your thread ending at the fold.

strong61
                                      Participant

I am working on a David Loom. When I started my sample, I found that I am weaving bottom, bottom, top, top but everything is lined up correctly. Am I doing something incorrect?

strong61
                                          Participant

I tried to use the treadles in a different order 1-2-3, -1-2-4, 1 and 2. I now have top top bottom bottom with the yarn in the right place but the join is not as tight, ok though. Have not put my slippery yarn in the join as yet. Alternating colors in the correct place for both sides of the shawl nothing has changed.

strong61
                                          Participant

I have found my own answer, hopefully it works. The David is a sinking shed so I have to alter my treading to have my sheds rise as top/top, bottom/bottom. I am new at this so I will set it up as 2-3-4, 1-3-4, 4 and 3.

fudsy1
                                            Participant

This season I’m weaving on a Jane Table loom. I’m having an issue with my bottom layer. the tension is even, everything is great and start weaving.. soon as the weaving goes across the cloth beam I loose bottom layer tension and suddenly it moves forward of the top layer. I’m not sure if it’s because I’m using a table loom ? I’ve been using my Jane for all the projects to date with no issues, this is the first time. I cut the small sample off, tied up again to make the shawl and the same issue, soon as the weaving came across the cloth beam I lost tension on the bottom half . after wet finishing everything appeared to be fine so I’m slightly confused

sjgriebling
                                              Participant

Jane I notice you are doing the double weave on a jack loom. Is is still possible to do double weave on a countermarch loom?
                                                Sue

Jane
                                                  Keymaster

For sure :). You just use the tie-ups I used for the lower lamms which are your risers and tie what isn’t to your upper lamms which are your sinkers….just like you would with any other weaving pattern.

Dori
                                                  Participant

Just finished my first foray into double width DW. I used 5/2 cotton. Warped as per instructions, skipping a dent on the left and used a 3/2 cotton thread for the thread that is removed. I am left with a stripe up the fold line. Here is a photo of my piece after machine washing & finishing. Is this line due to the fact that I used 5/2 cotton rather than the wool you used in this lesson?center foldIs there a way to avoid this in future cotton warps?

Sandra
                                                      Keymaster

By chance do you have a double rather than a single thread in the middle?  If so, that might be the reason, you have to have your warp interlaced in PW after you have pulled your warp thread for it to be able to hide the middle.  Also, finer wool is more forgiving than 5/2 cotton, which is quite thick.

Dori
                                                          Participant

I’m not sure. I threaded as indicated on the draft (reduced to an 8.5″ width in the reed), skipped a dent on the left where my fold would be and had the last 2 left threads in the dent following the skipped dent, tied the 3/2 onto one of the end warps as in the video, and it looked fine as I was weaving it. After the DWDW piece was woven I tied the original warp thread back on (snipped the pull thread and tied the original warp back on) and went right into the tube treadling without cutting off. I’ll look at the tube piece in the morning when I go back to the studio to see if I can see anything to show what the issue might be.

Elysa Dennett
                                                        Participant

I LOVED this project!!  It was my first doubleweave weaving on a 4 shaft loom, and Jane’s tie up directions made doing the doubleweave layers a dream!  This was also my first attempt at a seam.  Still need work on that, but it came out pretty good for the first time.  Next time I will do the extra thread Jane recommends.

I did not have the Harrisfield Shetland yarn yet, so I used some Alpaca yarn my daughter and I bought in Peru many years ago.  She is my Wild Child and loves the forest, so this is called Forest Floor and is a present for her in her colors.

I threaded to the absolute bursting width of my tiny Saori loom and managed to get 46″ width and wove to a length of 7′.  The only thing I would do differently is maybe thread it tighter.   The Harrisfield is Worsted and the Indecita is DK, so the blanket is thinner then it could have been, but still it might be best as it is so soft and drapey.  Now I just need to give it a press and pack it up.  Yay!!

Forest Floor

Thank you Jane!!

pam southernwood
                                                          Participant

I’ve just started on my first double weave project.  I have a 30cm Louet Erica table loom so it’s my first time weaving cotton tea towels!  They’ll still be a bit narrow as I need more heddles to weave the whole width of the loom!  It’s going well but I’ve had to cut it off after doing one towel and one small napkin as the bottom layers of the warp have got very loose, whereas the top layers are fine.   Any ideas why this is happening?

pam southernwood
                                                            Participant

I’ve just had the same happen with my Louet Erica table loom.  I don’t see why using a table loom should make any difference but the bottom layer got really loose and I’ve had to cut off what I’ve done and tie back on!

Jane
                                                              Participant

This has been a project that has tried my patience! LOL! Used yarn from my stash—Jagger Mainline from the ‘90s. Figuring out the tension needed to get four good sheds on my counter balance loom has been my challenge. The sample turned out fine, but I had lots of mending to do. The idea of double width is very appealing, but maybe not my favourite thing to weave.

The instructions and videos were great—I really appreciate the depth of information, and all the ideas. Any problems are mine! LOL!

77079081-D857-4AED-B8C1-9496EC144702

Barbara Marler
                                                                Participant

2C580CEF-230A-4D13-A771-D33593D02B78Greetings! I am curious whether I can weave a twill of some sort with the doubleweave technique. I have just woven a commissioned 72” x 108” blanket as my first DW project, and it came out beautifully thanks to Jane’s excellent instruction. Still needs fringe twisted and wet finishing. I am warped for two more blankets and would like them to vary in some way from the PW.

Sandra
                                                                    Keymaster

Your blanket is beautiful, Barbara!  Please post a photo after you have it fulled.  I love the colours you have used – I’m a “blue” person ;-). To answer your question, yes you can do twill in doubleweave/double cloth, BUT it has to be on an 8 harness loom, at least.  Jennifer Moore’s Doubleweave book has a chapter on 8 shafts that includes a Herringbone Twill blanket, hopefully you can get a copy from your library.

Barbara Marler
                                                                    Participant

Thanks so much for your reply, Sandra. I suspected that was the case, and unfortunately the loom I have warped has only 4 shafts.  Maybe I can throw some other textures into the mix to change it up a bit for the other two. And thanks very much for your encouragement!

nc345
                                                                      Participant

I was looking at the labels on the treadles and watching the foot work.

Question:  If one is not very dexterous, could I add a 5th treadle tied up with both 1 and 2 so you only have to press on 1 treadle while working 3 or 4 for the bottom layer?

Actually, I’m just deeper in the video–I should have just keep notes for questions later…

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by nc345.
                                                                        Lee
                                                                        Participant

Great videos!  What size shuttle is being used in this video?

• #191608
                                                                            Sandra
                                                                            Keymaster

These are Jane’s favourite shuttles, Lee.  The length depends on the size of your hand and what is comfortable.  Personally, I use the 11″ and my hands are a pretty average size for a woman.

• #191607
                                                                            Barbara Marler
                                                                            Participant

Greetings, weavers! I wanted to post a picture of my 3 doubleweave blankets, which were finished just before Christmas. Finished size is 72”x 92” after wet finish, plus fringe. I hemstitched when off the loom and twisted fringe before washing.F747B005-BDE5-4EF4-AC55-7991DF682D6E

• #191609
                                                                                Sandra
                                                                                Keymaster

They are stunning, Barbara!!!  I love your colours and the cheeriness of them.  Well done 👏👏👏

1
                                                                              • #191610
                                                                                Barbara Marler
                                                                                Participant

Thank you, Sandra!

0
                                                                              Viewing 26 reply threads
                                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.