Thoughts on 3.6.3 – Collapsing at the Sink

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Ginette
      Keymaster

Let us know your thoughts on 3.6.3 – Collapsing at the Sink.

Gale
        Participant

Such a fabulous episode & so much information. One of those scarves will look so elegant when going out in the evening.
          Would Tencel be a good substitute for the silk? I have so much in my stash.
          Gale Mosher

Sandra
            Keymaster

It certainly would work, Gale! Jane talked about different fibres as the non-shrinker, including Bamboo. Give it a try and share your results with us on the Forum 🙂

Sharon
            Participant

Really liked the summary of the three ways you can get collapse (3.6.1). Stainless steel yarn was listed. I have several different yarns that have some stainless steel in them. Can you provide a bit of information on the shrinkage of yarn with stainless steel please? Others have told me it shrinks but it seems counterintuitive.

Ginette
                Keymaster

Hi Sharon, Jane is away at the moment and I’m not familiar with using stainless steel yarns. Would you like to post your question on the Guild Forum? More members would see it and may be able to give you some info on shrinkage.

sharikalb
                Participant

I do a lot of felting and I am wondering if “throwing” the scarf wouldn’t help full it faster. Would using warmer water help also?

Sandra
                    Keymaster

Are you using 18/2 merino or Zepher wool/silk. The merino should felt quite quickly, in about 5 minutes or so, but if it’s not happening I’d warm up the water a bit and make sure I had enough soap in the “mix”. Remember, it all happens quite quickly when the process is really happening! Not sure about throwing it, I’d worry about the non-shrinkers shifting too much.

Penny
                    Participant

Just off the loom. Fun to do, but even after fulling the collapse didn’t really happen. I watched the episode again and realised that my sett was far too close, 2/20 silk and 2/18 wool sett at 20EPI. Now I will have to do it again but this time with a much more open sett.  I am learning so much from these episodes. Thank you Jane!B35A173C-982B-41BC-B7E5-1FA365AB8005

Sandra
                        Keymaster

Making your own mistakes is often the best way to learn!  Look forward to seeing the more open sett version, Penny.

Jane
                        Participant

<span style=”-webkit-tap-highlight-color: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0);”>One of the sections of zephyr did not full like the others—ideas?7F763293-97D6-4BC2-8F03-F7E3903475CE</span>

Penny
                          Participant

50CE1E9B-6236-40B3-8626-ABADB80F63010FDBD9E4-38FB-4494-987D-1A73EEC097DF

Finally managed to get this to collapse. The wool is actually a very fine wool and alpaca mix and it took almost 30 minutes to do this. Lots of squishing in hot water and then throwing it hard at the worktop! My aerobic workout for today!

Sandra
                              Keymaster

Well done, Penny!

Viewing 6 reply threads
                          • The forum ‘Season 3 – Pushing the Boundaries of Plain Weave’ is closed to new topics and replies.