Thoughts on 3.6.2 – Collapse at the Loom

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Ginette
      Keymaster

Let us know your thoughts on 3.6.2 – Collapse at the Loom.

juliamnorman
        Participant

Do you use overspun yarns for collapse Jane? and if so will you be doing a session about it?

Sandra
            Keymaster

I doubt Jane plans to talk about overspun yarn in the near future as the structure for this year is twill. She has referred to colcolastic yarn which provides a different method of “shrinking” and if you search “colcolastic” on the Beta Version of the full Index, there are two references to this particular yarn.

Jane Sullivan
            Participant

I have finally put the warp for the scarves on my loom.  I am now ready to tie on to the front beam.  I have huge differences in the length between the silk and the wool.  I have been tugging on the wool to try to even it out.  Is this normal when using yarns so different together in the same warp?

Thanks.

Jane

jchenuau@yahoo.com

Ginette
                Keymaster

Hi Jane,

The difference is lengths could be that the wool was wound on the warping board a little tighter than the silk. I would tie on the warp the same tension for both wool & silk. If you tug and tighten the wool more than the silk, when it’s off the loom, the wool will relax much more and give you some tension/length differences. For your next project like this, keep in mind the elasticity of the wool compared to the silk and adjust as needed while making the warp.

Dayamitra Blenman
                Participant

Hi Jane,

I’m so pleased you talked about “shifting” of the threads! I have had this trouble in the past and discovered this technique myself to save my project. When I tried to explain the problem to other weavers they didn’t know what I meant, so I am glad this problem was mentioned.

Just to let everyone know, the technique of letting off the brake and then lifting and pulling (gently) your project forward really works! Thanks for validating what I discovered!

joan horwich
                  Participant

I am about to wind a warp using Colcolastic thread.  Would you advise using a strip of the elastic thread- say 1″ wide, or would you intersperse this with another fiber?  Cotton? Silk? Linen? cotton- boucle?  D/t skin sensitivity, I do not weave with wool or mohair fibers

thanks joan

Sandra
                      Keymaster

Input from Jane:

You will have more success if you have a few ends of cocolastic next to each other….it doesn’t have to be an entire inch, even 4 ends will have the power to collapse other fibres around it.  Don’t sett it too close because then it won’t be able to move.  You always get better collapse when the sett is more open.  So find you regular sett for the yarn you are using and open it up 1 or 2 ends.

Jane
                      Participant

I used Zephyr from my stash—purchased in the ‘90s when 4 oz cost $14.00. However, several colours refused to shrink, and others were reluctant. I wonder if the way the yarn is processed has changed over the years.

I finally soaked the scarves in quite warm water, smooshed a very long time, repeated a second time, and got some collapse. Learned lots, and am pretty happy with the final product.

B69F02E8-C463-41DD-AB06-DDE462B4E399

lesleybrisco
                        Participant

I’m using yarns from my stash and dyed some wool and silk for this project.  Loved doing it, sampled and washed first to see how much it would collapse.  It’s a yarn I’d usually do at 15 epi and opened it up to 10.  The silk is quite a ‘rustic’ one and it’s given a lovely contrast to the smooth merino.    I alternated wool and silk in the weft and it’s made a lovely check effect.   Will definitely do another and maybe just use the silk in weft.

WhatsApp Image 2020-12-18 at 13.53.15

Sandra
                            Keymaster

It looks so cosy and bright, Lesley!

Tamara Hackley
                            Participant

Is there a reference or chart that tells about how much each yarn, thread will shrink so can plan for that in designing a collapsible cloth?

Sandra
                                Keymaster

If you look at the handout with this episode, Tamara, Jane gives us the width in reed and the length to weave the Collapse shawl plus the estimated dimensions when finished.  You should be able to work out a percentage of shrinkage from this information,

Viewing 7 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.