Thoughts on 3.5.1 – Introduction to Warp Faced Weaving

Forums Weaving Discussion Online Guild Discussion Season 3 – Pushing the Boundaries of Plain Weave Thoughts on 3.5.1 – Introduction to Warp Faced Weaving

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Ginette
      Keymaster

Let us know your thoughts on 3.5.1 – Introduction to Warp Faced Weaving.

Patricia
        Participant

On the warp faced weaving draft, where there are 3 panels of alternating threads.
          On the draft all 3 panels appear to be the same. I thought the middle one should be in reverse colour order. Am I just reading the draft wrong?

Sandra
            Keymaster

Hi Patricia, You’ll find when you thread your warp, that the extra whites between the three sets of panels will shift your pattern. The extra whites between blocks A & B are not part of the repeat and are one single thread. Maybe if you draw it out on a piece of paper or colour it in, you will visually see the change. Clear as mud?

Karen
            Participant

I am using 2/8 and 4/8 cotton as weft but I don’t seem to get the block changes and in fact there doesn’t seem much difference between the picks. Should I be using a greater size difference in threads?
              Karen

Ginette
                Keymaster

Hi Karen, once you’ve got a greater size between the 2 weft threads, you’ll see a bigger difference. Do you have any mop cotton or 8/8 to try and also some 2/16 cotton? If so, try different thick/thin combinations.

heidi
                Participant

Jane mentioned something about eliminating 2 warp threads at either end for a neater selvage.

.Does that mean the last dents will have only 1 thread instead of 3? Can you please confirm, thanks

Brenda Reimer
                    Participant

I am also confused about this. She mentioned in her video that the last two dents have only 2 threads, however the instructions say 3/dent and it only worked out to 2/dent on the far right dent. I can’t find where she demonstrated cutting out an end string from the first dent because I don’t remember which lesson I saw that trick. Can you help? Thanks

Ginette
                        Keymaster

Hi Brenda,
                          Jane demonstrates this in the Cramming & Denting sample, 3.2.2 episode at the 3:30 mark. For Warp Faced weaving, you wouldn’t want to have the last 2 threads in a dent on their own as it will make it harder to keep the warp face effect at your selvedges so you do want to have 3/dent in a 12 dent reed for this sample.

Viewing 3 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.