Thoughts on 3.4.7 – Reading Our Weft Faced Samples at the Table

Forums Weaving Discussion Online Guild Discussion Season 3 – Pushing the Boundaries of Plain Weave Thoughts on 3.4.7 – Reading Our Weft Faced Samples at the Table

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      Ginette
      Keymaster

Let us know your thoughts on 3.4.7 – Reading Our Weft Faced Samples at the Table.

karolhume1
        Participant

Fantastic! I’m a rug weaver and have found fresh inspiration in this lesson. Thank you.

Jacqueline
          Participant

Wow! Over 2.5 hrs of indepth tutorial!. Jane, you are amazing! Thank you!. I can’t wait to get started.

Cheryl
            Participant

Jane, you are so great at explaining the design principles behind these patterns. Thanks to you and your crew for making this Online Guild happen. About 22 of the members of our Desert Fiber Arts Guild have joined your Guild and formed a study group. The hardest thing is to get us to “play” with design. You’re so right, when they DO a project, they tend to play, and then they are hooked. That said, life’s circumstances kept me from doing the projects last year. But I took notes and find I can apply those design principles this year. So your Guild works for many situations.

Ellen Black
              Participant

Wonderful! And so inspiring! Thank you. Also showing how to walk the treadles was very helpful to me.

Nancy
                Participant

Inspiring, thorough explanations! Selvedges being a bug-a-boo with me, I’d love to hear a bit about dealing with getting nice selvedges.

Jane
                    Keymaster

I just use a floating selvedge Nancy. Nothing fancy. Sometimes I dive the dip and jump the bump with the floating selvedge when there is a long float on the side…but it really depends on the treadling that is happening at the time and whether I’m using one or two shuttles at that time.

carol1855wlr
                    Participant

F A N T A S T I C episode ! ! ! I have yet to weave weft faced and am excited to get started. I’d love to do my samples as placemats and am wondering about figuring yardage requirements, so different than plain weave. I’ll just guess and if I have too much, it’ll just be stash I can dive into in future projects. Thank You Jane!

Summerhill Spinner
                      Participant

Being a planner by nature; can you recommend how to calculate warp and weft yardages? I’m guessing the warp “takes up” quite a bit. And how about weft? Just curious if you’ve got some benchmarks.

Sandra
                          Keymaster

The best advice I could give you, Sumerhill Spinner, would be to make yourself a cup of tea, relax and enjoy Season !: Episode 5 – Project Planning 101. Jane covers your questions as well as giving us a PDF with that episode that helps us work out the details of our own warp and wefts. Have fun!

Jane
                            Keymaster

Hi There,
                              Just to add to Sandra’s response…. :). I’m not sure if I talked about warp faced weaving in Project Planning 101. So specifically, there is not much take up in weft faced weaving….there is a great deal in warp faced weaving, especially Repp. (we do that next episode). The ratio of weft to warp in weft faced weaving is something that has to be tested depending on the combination of yarns you are using. The one thing I can tell you for certain is that I was able to weave 4 of those little rugs with 2 skeins of Quebecoise 2 ply. So lets round up and say they were 12″ square, that means I was able to get 4 square feet from 2 skeins. All the other calculations you need for length of warp and width of warp are talked about in Project Planning 101.

Gale
                            Participant

Colour has always been my impetus, along with being a bit of a “recipe” weaver. These classes on weft faced weaving have really given me a better understanding of the theory behind the designs & WHY they are happening. Thank you for the light bulb moments!
                              Gale

sbertolett
                              Participant

Another outstanding episode! I can’t wait to get started on the sampler. I have been a rigid heddle weaver for nearly ten years now and everything I have learned in all three seasons of the online guild is wonderfully relevant to rigid heddle weaving. However, I turn 50 next year — the year the guild dives into twills – so I may just have to take the plunge a get a floor loom to celebrate my 50th. Until then, I’ll weave those twills in this sampler with my pick-up sticks and heddle rods.

Jane, your online guild has added such joy to my life. Thank you!

kristin_crane
                                Participant

Love this! I swear, every single episode I think I could spend the next year only exploring this one technique! I am instantly wanting to weave a rug.

Georgene Mckenzie
                                  Participant

This was so GREAT!. I am so excited to try each and every sample. Thanks so much. Georgene

Carole
                                    Participant

I just put a warp of 5/8 linen on my loom.  I’m using my stash of acrylic 2 ply yarn in the weft.  I just can’t get the weft to cram in close enough to see the pattern  I can very easily push it down with my fingers but that doesn’t seem right to me.  Also, the edges are very sketchy, displaying a nice smile on both sides.  I’ve tightened up the tension and have tried beating really hard but nothing works.  Could it be the slippery yarn? thanks, Carole

Sandra
                                      Keymaster

I’ve never woven with acrylic yarn, so I’m not much help.  But, have you tried opening your sett to see if that helps?  You are using quite a heavy linen warp, so that would be the first thing I would try.  Let us know if that helps!

Viewing 13 reply threads
                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.