Thoughts on 3.4.6 – Weft Faced, Boxes and Roman Keys at the Loom

Forums Weaving Discussion Online Guild Discussion Season 3 – Pushing the Boundaries of Plain Weave Thoughts on 3.4.6 – Weft Faced, Boxes and Roman Keys at the Loom

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Ginette
      Keymaster

Let us know your thoughts on 3.4.6 – Weft Faced, Boxes and Roman Keys at the Loom.

Joy Sceviour
        Participant

If you want to create a scarf in weft faced, what other yarns can you use for a soft drape? Would homespun wool be appropriate?

Jane
            Keymaster

Hi Joy, You could use a 2/8 cotton opened up to about 8 EPI with soft wool and it would be lovely. You wouldn’t want to beat it heavily though, just enough to cover and be stable. I would do what I always do….sample and try different things.

Joy Sceviour
            Participant

Thanks for the quick reply, Jane. While I am recuperating from shoulder surgery, I have been re-watching all the videos and have lots of ideas stored away to try out. You’ve just added to my stash, and, for that, I am humbly grateful.

Barbara
              Participant

Any special notes on finishing these little rugs? A gentle hand wash and lay flat to dry? Maybe a little steam press?

Jane
                  Keymaster

Good point there Barbara,
                    When I have woven rugs I do give them a good steam with my handy dandy iron. The rugs that have been peed on by pets (not me 🙂 ) have been soaked in the bathtub and gently washed and they have been perfect afterwards. I just hung them over the railing on my deck. Those rugs are softer.
                    Hope this helps. 🙂
                    Jane

mary.dean
                  Participant

Would clasped weft work with weft faced weave?

mary.dean
                      Participant

Ha ha never mind! I just watched the last part and Jane mentioned yes you can!

sengle685
                      Participant

Just checking since I have a Jack Loom.  In this episode you are talking about the tie up.  With my Jack Loom I would need to tie up the opposite to have it the same as your sinking shed.  So your tie up of harness 1,2,3 would be equivalent to me tying up harness 4.  Is that correct?

sengle685
                        Participant

Question, I am looking at the draft for the tie up on my Jack loom or what ever loom, since I only have 6 peddles on my loom, I will have to retie my peddles for the box and roman key part?

Ginette
                            Keymaster

Hi sengle685,

Yes, you’ll have to retie some of your treadles when you want to weave the roman keys. For your other question, yes you can follow the rising shed diagram on the draft. Have fun with this draft!

Anne Brickman
                            Participant

My mini rugs are finished. The dog wants to lie on them while they dry. He has never done this with my knitting, or finer weaving. I guess he approves! Selvedges need work still. Color choices influenced by the great designer, M. T. DaBobbin. 16877E1C-36A6-4033-A29B-C4BF6C39C6B7

Viewing 7 reply threads
                          • The forum ‘Season 3 – Pushing the Boundaries of Plain Weave’ is closed to new topics and replies.