Thoughts on 3.4.1 – Introduction to Weft Faced

Forums Weaving Discussion Online Guild Discussion Season 3 – Pushing the Boundaries of Plain Weave Thoughts on 3.4.1 – Introduction to Weft Faced

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
      Ginette
      Keymaster

Let us know your thoughts on 3.4.1 – Introduction to Weft Faced.

judy
        Participant

Delighted you are back with another eye-catching lesson. I’m just wondering what happened to the lesson #4 you had listed on your supply list as a table runner using 8/4 cotton and mop cotton? I’m trying to stay a bit ahead with yarns, so wonder if there are any other changes as I prepare for more orders.
          Ah, but I love whatever you teach, Jane, so this is not a complaint– just a clarification needed.
          Judy

Ginette
            Keymaster

Hi Judy,
              The lesson numbered 4 should actually be lesson number 5 and vice versa on the shop web page where you saw it! Thanks for mentioning it, I’ll get Alastair to do the change on the website tomorrow, great catch!
              The lesson, Warp Faced by the way where you can weave a table runner, will be the lesson for next month.
              Thanks again!

Jacquelyn Luke
            Participant

When I printed the PDF, the page(s)? showing the actual weaving samples, #1-17, was apparently too large, and so only samples 5-14 printed. The next page in the PDF is page 4, which seemed to suggest that maybe the samples were supposed to print on two pages (2 & 3)? Is there a way you can reformat the PDF to break that page into two pages so that it will all print? Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
              Jacquie

Ginette
                Keymaster

Hi Jacquelyn, when printing, could you try ‘fit to page’and that page will then print as one.

Jacquelyn Luke
                    Participant

Thanks Ginette. I was looking for that option on my computer, but its not there. I have a Mac, so maybe that is the issue. However, I was able to reduce the scale for that page to 60%, and the other pages to 90% for the other pages, and that worked. Also, the page immediately following the photo of all of the samples is labeled page 4, but its the 3rd page of the PDF. Is something missing, or just mis-numbered?
                      Thanks,
                      Jacquie

Ginette
                        Keymaster

Hi Jacquelyn, there’s 5 pages in total. Glad you were able to change the scale and print the page with the pattern 🙂

Betty.allen
                    Participant

Hi, I’m so excited about the possibilities with weft faced weaving. And eager to get my little table loom warped to have some ongoing warp faced weaving. I have some linen and compared it to Jane’s sample cards and it seems to be an exact match. It’s not something I purchased but was some of the miscellaneous yarn that was with my loom when I purchased it. I have all of Jane’s samples but I can’t seem to find the Québécois 2 ply wool in the samples. Perhaps it is a new product. I purchased my samples last year. I want to try to use some wool I have and am wondering if it is similar to Shetland wool. I have a small amount of red Shetland that I would like to use for the zinger. Would this be a similar size compared to the Québécois? Thanks for any guidance. Betty

Betty.allen
                        Participant

Edit. I meant to say weft faced.

Sandra
                          Keymaster

Hi Betty, the Quebecois is a much heavier yarn that the Shetland. In order to use the Shetland, you would probably need to change your sett on the warp in order to get it to pack down and have some structure when finished. The Quebecois is closer to a medium worsted weight yarn that you could probably find at your local yarn store, but you would have to make sure that it was 100% wool – no synthetics mixed in, so the yarn would bloom.

Betty.allen
                              Participant

Thanks Sandra. That’s just what I needed to know. Betty

Nina Kennedy
                            Participant

Was printing off the pdf today and noticed that the pages are numbered to page 6 (well the last 3 pages are numbered 4,5, 6 and the first pages are not numbered), however only 5 pages printed. I did print it as “fit it to page” as suggested in a previous posting and got all the examples (1-17) in one page. Just want to clarify that once doing this one is printing pages 2 and 3 as this 1 page???

Ginette
                                Keymaster

Hi Nina, there are only 5 pages for this PDF, glad you got the printing to fit to page for the sample photo 🙂

Jan Schumacher
                                Participant

Oh this was so much fun, Jane! Have looked longingly at weft-faced rugs and even tried one with a pattern – but now I understand the structure. So cool. So eager was I to start weaving, I didn’t watch the entire episode. I’d like to attach a photo of my 8 little rugs but I can’t fugure out how to do that. Oh well.. I’m hoping you’ve provided some guidance about choosing yarns. Is there a general rule – a ratio of weft thread dimension to warp thread dimension and epi? If you haven’t covered this, will you please. Thanks so much for all the wonderful lessons and especially this one on weft-face.
                                  Jan

Ginette
                                    Keymaster

Hi Jan, we can’t add photos right here in the comments under the episodes. Best place to do it is on the Forum which we would love if you could add your picture there.

Betty.allen
                                    Participant

I need to ask another questions pertaining to the weft faced weaving. I am getting ready to tie up the shafts and I want to make sure I understand the tie ups correctly. If I want to tie up everything including greek key would I need 10 treadles? I’m looking at the pdf page 4 diagram that has the greek key tie up included. It seems like I could tie up everything on 6 treadles except the greek key? Am I missing something? And if this is the case and I only have 6 treadles do I change the tie up when I want to weave greek key and then change it back?

Jane
                                        Keymaster

Hi Betty, You are correct, if you wanted to tie-up everything I did in the sample you would need 10 treadles. Most of it is done in PW 1&3 against 2&4 and you need 4 additional treadles to weave the Greek Key. You could also just used a skeleton tie-up and step on more than 1 treadle at a time….but that would be hard on my brain for sure.
                                          Every little rug was done using a different combination of parts. You could decide to work with Twills and Plain Weave….or Boxes and PW. or Greek Key and PW. It really is all up to you and what you decide to design. There are still so many more options….. but it was a great start. Next year we will look at it again with more complex twill threadings 🙂

Betty.allen
                                            Participant

Thanks Jane. Today I’ve been playing with the six treadles along with rewatching the videos. It’s very fascinating to begin to understand what’s happening. I will weave sample placemats so I’ve decided to weave a couple with the treadling on six shafts and maybe do one placemat with boxes and Greek key. I’ve had lots of fun playing and trying to grasp different options. I do have an oops!!! And I do not understand what I’d did. I didn’t see it until later today. I may send a photo and ask what I did wrong. Thanks again.

Martha
                                          Participant

Throwing in the possibilities with twill has really got me excited! I’ve never had twill treadlings explained quite this way Jane. I expect to sit down with graph paper over the next several days to play. Then I’ll put things into my computer program. Thank you!

stephiepeterson
                                            Participant

I just love all this information! Jane, you are such an incredible teacher. I am learning so much from your instruction. You make understanding the structure of woven fabric so easy due to your clear instruction. Thank you for this. I know first hand how much effort and time goes in to great teaching. I appreciate it!

btlinquist
                                              Participant

I am curious how to wet finish this project.

Ginette
                                                  Keymaster

Hi btlinquist,

Jane responded to a similar question about this in the comments below the 3.4.6 video ‘Weft Faced, Boxes and Roman Keys at the Loom’. It’s the last comment on that page 🙂

joan horwich
                                                  Participant

Hi I was wondering if it was possible to achieve a similar effect using a heavy cotton weft instead of the wool

Sandra
                                                      Keymaster

You certainly can, Joan. You can weave it with heavy cotton, or anything that will give you a weft-faced fabric.

Danielle Soucie
                                                      Participant

Hi Jane,

I signed up for this online guild after I had started my first weft-faced weaving. I am using an 8/4 cotton warp with 6 e.p.i.
                                                        I am not able to hide all the warp threads with this. Is this because my e.p.i is too high? I see you used 5 e.p.i.

Jane
                                                          Keymaster

Hi Danielle, The sett for weft faced weaving really depends on the size of your weft and the weave structure. If you can’t beat it in then you need to open up your sett :).

Judith
                                                          Participant

If I wanted to make placemats using these lessons, would I be better off using the 4/12 tow linen or the bleached 2/12 tow linen both of which are in the shop?  I want to end up with placemats that have some “heft” to them as we are used to using boards as our placemats. Thank you.

Sandra
                                                              Keymaster

Jane uses the 12/4 (Bleached 900 yds/lb.) in her samples which is twice the size of the 12/2 (1800 yds/lb.)  Using the 12/2 – the samples will end up quite a bit narrower.  Jane has designed the samples to have the heft of small rugs.

Corey
                                                              Participant

Can anyone tell me the length of the sample piece before wet finishing? I am getting ready to wind my warp and trying to decide how long to make it, as I have extra skeins of the Quebecois to make more hot pads than the kit would make with two skeins. Thanks!

Christine King
                                                                Participant

Hi Jane and team.

I can’t seem to find 12/4 linen in the UK.  Could you please let me know what the cotton equivalent would be for the warp.

Thank you

Chris

Sandra
                                                                    Keymaster

Have you looked for a heavy linen – the kind that is used as tapestry warp?  It just needs to be strong to hold all the thick weft neatly in place.  I don’t believe cotton wouldn’t be strong enough.

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                                                • The forum ‘Season 3 – Pushing the Boundaries of Plain Weave’ is closed to new topics and replies.