Thoughts on 3.3.1 – Introduction to Log Cabin

Forums Weaving Discussion Online Guild Discussion Season 3 – Pushing the Boundaries of Plain Weave Thoughts on 3.3.1 – Introduction to Log Cabin

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Ginette
      Keymaster

Let us know your thoughts on 3.3.1 – Introduction to Log Cabin.

janine.murphy
        Participant

Hello! I am enjoying these classes so very much – thank you! May I ask your guidance on sett please? I am making Charlotte’s log cabin scarf from season 1 for a gift. Unfortunately I’m in a bit of a crunch for time and don’t have time to order some lovely tussah silk. I’m going to substitute 2/8 tencel, since that’s what I have on hand. The pattern calls for 20 epi on 2/20 silk. I would think I would need to open up the sett to go up to a 2/8 tencel, but 20 epi still seems like a reasonable sett for 2/8 tencel? Would you keep it at 20 epi, or decrease it (open it up?) and to what? Thank you very much!

Ginette
            Keymaster

Hi Janine,
              I would sample for sure and see which you prefer. You can always put extra yardage on your warp, maybe 1 extra yard, and use the beginning for sampling. If you find that the 20 EPI is too tight, then you can open up your sett.

diannedavenport
            Participant

I have printed out the pdf. I am getting page 1 as a single page, page 2 and 3 as a single page, page 4 and 5 as a single page and then page 6 as a single page – total 4 pages. This is how it shows on screen before printing also. Is there something I can do to get all single pages or do you need to redo the pdf file? The double pages are small for my oldish eyes. I need 6 single pages. TIA Dianne

Ginette
                Keymaster

Hi Dianne, thanks for letting us know! Can you save the file on your computer first and then do ‘print preview’ and let us know if it’s doing the same?

ETA, just reread your comment, pages 2 & 3, and pages 4 & 5 do print the way you mentioned. hmm, let me see if there’s a way you can print them differently.

Michelle Simon
                    Participant

Ginnette
                      I’m having the same problem–and cannot seem to separate p2-3 and p4-5–or change to Landscape view. I lose part of
                      p 2 and p 4 since I cannot shrink the pages.

Ginette
                        Keymaster

Hi Michelle, We’ve uploaded a revised PDF, it is now on 6 pages and should be good to make a copy. Thanks for the heads up on this, much appreciated!

Ginette
                      Keymaster

Hi Dianne, We’ve uploaded a revised version, now on 6 pages and good to make yourself a copy 🙂 Thanks again for letting us know about it.

mgwerner212
                      Participant

March 14th… finally here! JST episode release days are like Christmas!

diannedavenport
                        Participant

Thank you for the quick response. Already watched each section once. Now to watch bits and pieces as needed.

Ginette
                            Keymaster

You’re welcome! Enjoy Log Cabin 🙂

Patricia
                            Participant

So happy to be back at Log Cabin.
                              Don’t apologise for being low tech or totally visual. I have been totally visual all my life so your lessons perfect for me. Thank you.
                              There is one thing I am not sure about and that is when needing just one end of a colour or odd ends which inevitably finish at the cross end, do I tie a knot at that end?

Sandra
                                Keymaster

You’ve got it! When you get to a point where you need to change the number of threads you are winding, break the threads you just finished and tie on a single thread. When you have that safely in place in your warp, then tie on your two threads again. Jane explains that in Episode 3.3.4 at the 10:04 minute mark.

Robyn B
                                Participant

I have a new-to-me-loom with miles of 8/2 cotton already warped on a sectional beam. Any reason why I can’t use the tie-on method shown for the mohair project to do the projects until I’m ready to get back to using 8/2?
                                  Absolutely love the guild. Have learned so much already. Thanks Jane for generously sharing your knowledge and for all your camera and support crew..

Ginette
                                    Keymaster

Hi,
                                      You could tie on but that would be alot of knots to do. I would play with the 2/8 cotton you have on the loom 🙂 You could open up the sett, use different yarn sizes, thick & thin, weave with silk in the weft or other yarns in your stash, play with colours like in Season 2 to weave samples, fabric for cushions and such and lovely scarves. The possibilities are endless!

Robyn B
                                        Participant

Thanks so much for the prompt reply.

Diane Walker
                                      Participant

I don’t think I can express how much I enjoy Jane’s teaching style. When she stood there, hands free, with her sample just stuck on her shirt, explaining log cabin threading, I just broke out laughing. I’ve had  weaving instructor’s who have taken themselves way too seriously and taken the joy out of weaving. These classes are just what I need right now,when the world feels like it is coming apart at the seams. Thank you!

Viewing 7 reply threads
                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.