Thoughts on 3.1.3 – The Denting Samples

Viewing 25 reply threads
  • Author
      Ginette
      Keymaster

Let us know your thoughts on 3.1.3 – The Denting Samples.

Summerhill Spinner
        Participant

This was a FABULOUS episode. So inspirational. It gives me some great ideas for using my handspun yarn that is so labor-intensive to spin, because I can use less of it but get some great effects. Thanks!

cahoonl382
          Participant

love this. I cant wait for the yarns to come, so i will play with what I have. ps. the stripe with sheer weft stripes to the right of the black board. Please show that and explain how that was made. Is there silk to make the shine or is it bamboo?

Jane
              Keymaster

Aaaaah, that is India 🙂 That was woven in a village north of Calcutta on a 2 shaft pit loom using reeled silk. 5 single filaments plied together. You can barely even see the yarn. If only I could weave like they do.

heidi
              Participant

One of your best episodes and perhaps this is all coming together. Can’t wait to warp up my Rigid Heddle loom since this is all plainweave. Would denting work with a wool/20% nylon sock warp and an alpaca or merino weft? I have lots of variegated sock yarn but that doesn’t really full or felt. Do i need to add in the merino into the warp too?

heidi
                  Participant

Question for you all,
                    Would the denting work better using wool 80%/nylon 20% sock yarn warp and merino or alpaca weft if I added a bit of the 100% wool into the warp too? Or can I just use only the variegated sock for warp?
                    Thx

Jane
                      Keymaster

Either one will work.

Jane
                        Keymaster

Don’t forget how much I sample to figure all this out. Make your warp a little longer and weave a sample, wash it and it will help you a great deal 🙂

heidi
                            Participant

Thanks, excited to try this.

barbel1234
                        Participant

I watched Episode 3 today, great ideas alltogether.
                          When you showed the scarf with the parrot design and said , that half of the scarf could be done with denting, i was hocked.
                          But how would i weave the other half without denting?
                          Just take out the shuttle atthe parting point and weave one side til i reach the right spacing?
                          Just trying to picture it.
                          Thank you Jane for great lessons!
                          Kind regards,
                          Barbel, Ireland

Ginette
                            Keymaster

Hi Barbel,
                              I think you’ve got it, that’s what I would try. You could run the thread from the denting side up the side of the warp until you need to bring in the shuttle again for the next bit or tuck it in each time. That would be a fun project to try!

Jane
                              Keymaster

Imagine if half of your warp had denting in it and half of it was just normal. You could weave half of the scarf just normal and you would have one portion weaving solid and half of it would have dented stripes in it. Then you could do denting on the 2nd half and you would end up with one section perfectly dented in the warp and the weft but the other section that is solid warp would have dented horizontal stripes.

Rose
                              Participant

I’m so excited!! So many possibilities

WoolMoon
                                Participant

What a delightful and informative start to Season 3. I love the look of these pieces and can’t wait to get started on one or ten of them!

rita.msmiller
                                  Participant

question: When placing your denting warps threads on the back beam do you space this out as well to allow for negative space? or do you keep them just as they come as you beam the threads on the back beam?

Jane
                                      Keymaster

I never space them out….it all just works 🙂

Jan Schumacher
                                      Participant

Jane is sooo right about how speedy this denting technique is. Using stash 2/8 cotton, I started a warp for 2 scarves yesterday morning and was weaving by late afternoon on my floor loom. Considering I visited with a neighbour and prepared dinner during that time too, I’d say that’s the fastest ever for me. On the loom it’s a bit slower but I’m having fun and liking what I see. Thanks again, Jane, for another terrific video class.

loobitzh
                                        Participant

Im on my second scarf. I had already prepared and beamed a lovely warp in blue tones and began weaving. (The warp was long enough for 4 or 5 scarves and I was really excited to get going).. Then ping! ping! over and over the warp threads began to break off!! I had warped with some new yarns I had purchased from Yeoman yarns. You can order a sample pack from them which is very economical but dont always know what each cone has on it. I unfortunately forgot to test the yarns for warp compatability and will Never make that mistake again. They werent strong enough and I lost about 15 warps by the time I had finished the first scarf. The yarn is fine in the weft.

So I ended up ripping the resf of the warp off the loom into a chain which I can use as a rope….. Was a bit peed off but soon had another warp prepared and dressed the loom once again…. A lovely mix of oranges and yellow. Im half way through weaving this one. I used a mix of plain cotton, mercerised cotton and a wool mix. The different textures look great. I also used some cream and a flourescent orange as zingers.

Should be able to get 4 long scarves off this warp.

Have incorporated the Colour and Design theory into the planning and really excited with the results so far.

Yes this denting is quick and very enjoyable.

What a treat to have this guild to guide us.

Thanks Jane.

Linda in Bath UK (not in the bath but in the City)!

juliamnorman
                                            Participant

Hi Linda, I’ve recently started Jane’s course and am loving it.
                                              I wonder if you’ve managed to work out how the yarns she uses compare with nm ones? I presume you’ve managed to
                                              work it out.
                                              many thanks, Julia

mgwerner212
                                            Participant

Wow Jane. Fantastic episode! I can’t wait to try this!

Sue
                                              Participant

Hi Linda, thanks for the information about Yeoman yarns. I live in Frome, about 12 miles from Bath. I’m still studying the videos and trying to source yarn in UK. Look forward to seeing pics of everyone’s scarves.

loobitzh
                                                  Participant

Hi Sue

Good to see a Brit on the site!

Yeoman Yarns offer a fantastic selection of yarns which are fab for weaving and very good prices. I have purchased a few of their sample sets and overall they are really fab! you get so much more yarn for your buck. They ask you to list any preferences in the text box when ordering ie, on one order I stated I wanted nothing thinner than 2/8 cotton and would prefer a bright pallet but no pinks and was very pleased with their selection.

Their acrylic yarns are also fab, so much improved from the old days. Hard to tell the difference.

If you go on ebay and search for yarn cones then there is also a wide variety of yarns to pick from all at good prices. I often purchase from ‘bubz’ on ebay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/yarn-thread-crafts?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

Hope youa re enjoying this as much as I AM!
                                                    Linda x

Rebecca Logan
                                                  Participant

Great episode! This got me looking at my lace weight knitting yarn stash with a whole new light, as well as those partial cones of bamboo and Zephyr I’ve been hoarding. I pulled a few combinations out of the stash already and will be making my graphic and winding warps shortly. Thank goodness for that second loom!

Freya S.
                                                    Participant

Hi Jane, Where do I find a sample of the PDF to write the setts in?

Freya – I love am loving this technique, it appears to be very freeing for me. I also like the thought that I can
                                                      produce a fabric with drape using it. Most of my weaving is for fabric for garments. “Easy Peasy” as you
                                                      like to say. I can also weave from my stash.

Ginette
                                                        Keymaster

Hi Freya,
                                                          right up on the left hand corner of the screen by the JST logo, you’ll see an ‘eye’ and a ‘page’. Click on the page and then you can download both the Denting Sample and the the Sett Chart.

ccrawford20
                                                        Participant

First night on our vacation as being newly retired. Watched the episode, when finished I announced “I can’t wait to get home to try what I just learned!” My husband reminded me we have only been gone 7 hours! Thank you Jane

stephiepeterson
                                                          Participant

As a baby weaver whose loom has not even arrived yet, thanks for the little details you share. And thanks to the more experienced folks here for their tolerance of us novices! Can’t wait for my loom to come so I can go back and watch Seasom 1 again and use it to guide me. I love, love, love your videos. Thank you!

Liz
                                                            Participant

In the first sample, a red one, you said the yarn used was 5/2 UCI mercerized cotton. I don’t see this listed in your yarns inventory at the online store. Are you not carrying UCI cottons any more? What would be a good substitute?

Sandra
                                                                Keymaster

You are right, Lizzie – Jane doesn’t carry mercerized cotton any more. Jane does carry 7 gauge bamboo which is almost the same weight at 5/2 cotton – but is more slippery than the cotton. She describes and shows the result using the bamboo.

wbcostume8
                                                                Participant

Jane
                                                                  Can you translate what ‘Grid Size ‘ means on the ‘Your Denting Master Sett Chart.’
                                                                  I can’t work it out with my UK brain!
                                                                  Wendy

wbcostume8
                                                                  Participant

I’ve got it! The grid is the size of the negative space squares and the weaving squares.
                                                                    Thanks
                                                                    Wendy

Penny
                                                                    Participant

Really enjoyed this episode and am midway through a scarf using a yarn that is 70% wool, 30% alpaca. I’m getting the hang of leaving gaps, but am finding it difficult to get the right number of weft picks to keep it square. Never mind, I’ll keep practising.

juliettelanvers
                                                                      Participant

Hi!
                                                                        You mentioned Zephyr, I happen to have a cone for gray in the lace weight, what would you sley it at? 30 EPI?
                                                                        thank you for your help, I am really into this year’s theme : )

Juju

• #156319
                                                                          Jane
                                                                          Keymaster

Hi Juliette,
                                                                            30 EPI is too much for Zephyr because you get so much stabilization in the denting when you full it. I would try 20.
                                                                            Hope this helps,
                                                                            Jane

• #156320
                                                                          Karen
                                                                          Participant

Absolutely loved this episode…I have never woven with negative space and am looking forward to starting! I think the technique will be lovely for the hot climate we live in……giving an airy and lighter look while using yarns I have never woven with….like wool.
                                                                            Thanks so much.

• #156321
                                                                            Deborah Cannatella
                                                                            Participant

I would like to do denting using a 10/2 perle cotton. Because mercerized is slippery, should I go for a tighter epi… say, 30 epi instead of 24 or 26? I’d like to leave 1″ negative space.

• #156322
                                                                                Sandra
                                                                                Keymaster

I would use the recommended sett as a start and add on a bit longer warp so you can cut and finish a sample. 2/10 is in the same ballpark as the 30/2 silk and 20/2 silk that Jane suggests can be used interchangeably. If you aren’t getting the look and feel you want, it’s quick and easy enough to resley the reed. Let us know your results!

0
                                                                              • #156323
                                                                                dianeg537
                                                                                Participant

Hi Jane,
                                                                                  What a great session on denting. I have jumping around a lot looking at different episodes and finally decided to come back and start at the beginning again. This episode has been very helpful. One question about the denting sample you created at the end of the episode with the parrot colors. Although you calculated you needed 27 orange threads for the first 9 dents, you said it didn’t matter when you threaded the warp. I didn’t understand what you meant. And do you create a separate warp for each color change?
                                                                                  Thanks,
                                                                                  Diane

0
                                                                                • #156324
                                                                                  dianeg537
                                                                                  Participant

Hi again Jane,
                                                                                    I have another question about denting. I don’t have your sample kit for this episode so I’m trying to work with my own stash of yarns. I wan to do a color gradation with black to charcoal to grey. My black is a 20/2 linen and my other charcoal grey colors are all 10/2 mercerized cotton. If I use a 1/2″ grid what would be the best sett? I could use either 20 or 24. I could use either the linen or the cotton in the weft.
                                                                                    Thanks
                                                                                    Diane

0
                                                                                    • #156325
                                                                                      Jane
                                                                                      Keymaster

I would use 20 EPI

0
                                                                                    • #160400
                                                                                      dianeg537
                                                                                      Participant

Hi Jane,

I had some leftover 10/2 mercerized cotton in shades of greys/black and warped my loom to do the denting sample using 20 epi.  By mistake I put too many threads in warp and since I was doing this on my Asford table loom I knew I had to somehow get rid of the extra threads.  I took them off of each side and tried to hang them off the back beam.  But eventually I had to cut them off.  I ended up denting the reed  as follows:  in a 10 dent reed I sleyed 2 threads in the first 5 dents then skipped 5 dents. I repeat this thruout.  Although my final piece is too short for anything but a sample I was pleased with the outcome.  I now want to weave some ‘airy, lightweight curtains with denting.  Any suggestions for patterns, fiber, etc.  Again, another wonderful epidsode.  Thanks!

Diane

8D296F03-3928-4F01-9467-2392E2BC2D96_1_105_cCE0A13F2-9E56-4D98-BCD2-CB75FB5AC0E9_1_105_c

1
                                                                                        • #160480
                                                                                          Ginette
                                                                                          Keymaster

Hi Diane,

I did a quick search on the forum as I remembered someone weaving curtains, they are not denting but these will inspire you. Karen wove some with a variety of yarns and they are just amazing and hopefully can give you some ideas. Curtains are on my weaving bucket list 🙂

https://janestaffordtextiles.com/forums/topic/inspired-by-jane/

0
                                                                                      Viewing 25 reply threads
                                                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.