Thoughts on 3.1.2 – Washing Your Denting

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Ginette
      Keymaster

Let us know your thoughts on 3.1.2 – Washing Your Denting.

msellenk
        Participant

Okay, I am OBSESSED with your fabulous sink, lol! Never seen one quite like it, and I’ve been looking a lot because I’m going to be setting up my dye studio in my new house soon. Nice to have that slanted area at the front for fulling or smooshing out extra water.

Oh yeah, the weaving is pretty fabulous too 🙂

Janet
          Participant

Quick question: Do you recommend twisting the fringe before wet finishing or after? Thanks

Sandra
              Keymaster

Hi Janet, I always twist my fringes before wet finishing, it keeps everyone under control when they are playing in the water.

Karen
              Participant

No fair…the minute you said “Orlando”, ABBA started singing that song in my head…it has been quite a while now and it won’t leave….ha….

Jane
                  Keymaster

Ear worms…argh! Sorry about that…too funny.

jus.joan
                  Participant

I have a question about washing of the dented scarf. I wove a sample and the 1st scarf with the 16/2 cotton then cut them off the loom. I washed vigorously in warm water with soap and hung them to dry yesterday. This evening I decided to trim the ends where I changed the colors then ironed both pieces. The fabric seems very unstable and the ends tend to want to work themselves out. Do I need to wash them again? I felt that I was pretty harsh but now I’m not so sure.
                    I’m planning on ordering the silk for the weft for the next scarf but don’t want to encounter the same issues with the ends working themselves out.
                    Thank you,
                    ~Joan

Sandra
                      Keymaster

Did you check your PPI while you were weaving? I’m wondering if you could have woven your scarf with a bit more open sett than you realized, and therefore made the 16/2 cotton ends want to escape.

jus.joan
                          Participant

Hi Sandra,
                            I did check and initially I was beating too hard so lightened up to get 12 picks per 1/2″. Any suggestions on how I can secure the ends at this point?

Sandra
                              Keymaster

Since you are working with both warp and weft in 16/2 – I would probably use hotter water to wash it again, gently. I’m also wondering if you might not have left a long enough tuck, before you started the new colour. The Forum is probably a better place to bring forward this question because you can post a photo there. If you can take a close-up we might be able to see what is happening! Maybe post it before you wash it again . I’ll watch for you there!

Trish
                          Participant

Me too!  I was oogling it the whole time!  I have  plastic pails…just not the same!  My concern re softly felting scarves is that when people put them in the gentle cycle wash and dry, that they change from their “softly felted” selves.  Most recipients of my scarves don’t handwash :(.

Viewing 5 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.