Thoughts on 2.6.2 – Plaid at the Loom

Forums Weaving Discussion Online Guild Discussion Season 2 – Colour & Design Thoughts on 2.6.2 – Plaid at the Loom

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
      Ginette
      Keymaster

Let us know your thoughts on 2.6.2 – Plaid at the Loom.

Trudy Exton
        Participant

Just finished watching this last episode and WOW. Jane you are such an inspirational teacher thanks for another great episode.

Suzanne Labreche
          Participant

Very timely lesson – looking forward to weaving table napkins based on this lesson – thanks Jane

Betty.allen
            Participant

When you weave the two picks of gold why don’t you have to tuck the tail on the second pick?

Ginette
                Keymaster

Hi Betty, because the threads are doubled up in the second pick (the tail from the first pick & the thread from the second pick) it will be secure and you don’t have to tuck the tail from the second pick. After the wash, you just cut the second thread close to the selvedge and everything will stay in place. It’s a great technique so that you don’t have the double thread look at the selvedges when you’re only needing 2 picks of one colour.

heidi
                    Participant

Brilliant advice, thanks

Melissa
                      Participant

So this works with two picks but not something with more picks, say 4, because the tucked tail and untucked end are right next to each other offering more security to that untucked tail because of the “bulk” right there?

Ginette
                          Keymaster

Hi Melissa, for sure, the 2 picks ends are on top of each other so it secures them and reduces the bulkiness a bit. Otherwise you’d end up with 2 tucked tails with 2 picks all on the same selvedge side. I can’t see it work with 4 or more but now you’ve got me thinking about it! 😉

Betty.allen
                      Participant

I did not know that. I’m learning lots of things I wouldn’t know if I weren’t taking this online class. And it seems like it’s the little things I’m learning that make such a difference. It is so wonderful for me.

heidi
                        Participant

Love this video, thanks Jane. But a question, why do you weave a perfect square on the loom when the warp usually shrinks more than the weft? After wet finishing and drying won’t the square turn into a rectangle?

Ginette
                            Keymaster

Hi Heidi, Jane demonstrates in this lesson measuring under tension and without tension. It also depends on how much tension you have on your warp. If you use a lot, then a pick or two extra would help. The best way would be for you to give it a try both ways and see if you need extra picks according to your weaving. I found for my weaving that I don’t need to add extra picks and do measure under tension. After the washing and the shrinkage it all balances out into a square.

heidi
                                Participant

Thanks so much, I’ll have to experiment too.
                                  Cheers

bobbietweddle
                              Participant

How did Jane hemstitch the beginning of the sample without weaving a few picks first? Did I miss this in one of the episodes?

Ginette
                                  Keymaster

Hi Bobbie, the hemstitching was done prior to the filming and Jane dove right into the weaving for this lesson. FYI, the hemstitching is the simple hemstitch technique that Jane uses all the time.

Doreen
                                  Participant

Thank you for the closed captions! Must say yours are technically better than the CBC-TV. I am loving these lessons

Ginette
                                      Keymaster

Hi Doreen, I’ll pass on your message to Jane. It’s so nice to hear that it’s helping the guild members! Enjoy your weekend 🙂

Susan Jaken
                                      Participant

What treadling sequence is used when changing weft color in the striping sequence? For example, let’s say the last pick of olive is in “Shed B/Treadle 2/right foot/thrown from right”. After tuking, the first pick of gold then starts on the right. If I alternate sheds, it would mean using “Shed A/Treadle 1/left foot/thrown from right”. It would be much simpler not to alternate sheds and use “Shed B/Treadle 2/Right foot/ thrown from right”. Which way does Jane do it?
                                        Thanks.
                                        Sue

Sandra
                                          Keymaster

Hi Sue, when Jane is moving from the olive to the gold in the Plaid sample, she is starting her gold on the opposite side to where she tucked in her olive. It’s important to not build up layers of double weft (made by ending a colour, tucking it in and trimming it). The gold is an unusual situation because she is only using 2 picks of the gold and Jane shows us the specifics of securing the ends of that particular situation. Don’t get too focused on which foot is operating which shed in Plain Weave. You will only have two sheds and it depends on how you tie it up as to which foot operates which shed. Concentrate on changing the shed between each pick of weft and tucking in your weft in a colour sequence on the opposite side of your last tuck in, to prevent build-up. Have I answered your question or made you more confused???

Janet
                                          Participant

I’m curious about measuring the square – I was taught to measure with the tension off, but Jane doesn’t seem to do that – do you think it matters?

Sandra
                                              Keymaster

When the tension is off, it is released both ways so either way works, it’s just easier to leave your tension on, measure and add or remove picks until you are square. Then just keep weaving without playing with your tension. What ever way works for you, however, is your best way 😉

Sheryl Smith
                                              Participant

I noticed that Jane has a hemstitch row before she starts the olive. How does she weave this hem stitch line in when there aren’t any rows to anchor to? I

Sandra
                                                  Keymaster

The way you add a hemstitch to a new segment of weaving is to weave two picks and then hemstitch those picks. You can do them in any colour you want if you want your hemstitch to be a focal point. I think you are seeing a hemstitch like that one, it appears to be floating unsupported in the warp, but it really is made on two picks of weaving.

Ginny
                                                  Participant

Could you clarify how to continue this sample into a longer piece? Would you pivot at the olive using this sequence: olive, stripe, red, stripe, red, stripe, olive, STRIPE, RED, STRIPE, RED, STRIPE, OLIVE,STRIPE?

Ginette
                                                      Keymaster

Hi Ginny, do you meant wider in the reed? If so, you could do so much with this sample. I like your idea of adding extra stripes, that would be so interesting 🙂 Make sure you post your results on the Forum, I’m sure everyone would love to see it

Judith
                                                      Participant

Just curious.  My PDF of the draft does not show the stripe sequence.  I wrote it down from her video.  But it looks like her printed draft had the stripe sequence on it.  Did I miss something? Thanks!

Ginette
                                                        Keymaster

Hi Judith, the striping sequence is on page 2 of the PDF. How many pages were you able to download for this sample?

linda pelech
                                                          Participant

I am unsure how to start the weaving? do you do a few warps then leave a big space then start weaving? I am not seeing in the videos how to start a project. Is there a hem stich in place  first or is the hemstitching at the end of a project?

Sandra
                                                            Keymaster

Hi Linda, have you spent the time going through Season 1 and learning all Jane’s wonderful techniques and tricks to get a good cloth happening on your loom?  Is the Plaid sample the first one you are planning to weave?  For the samples in Season 2, I would hemstitch as Jane demonstrates, at the start of each sample and again at the end.  Also, have you checked out the Beta Index on the JST site?  You can type the word hemstitching in and find a number of places in the lessons where Jane talks about it.

Viewing 15 reply threads
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.