Thoughts on 2.3 – Dressing Your Loom Back to Front – Warping a 27 yd long warp

Forums Weaving Discussion Online Guild Discussion Season 1 – Foundation Thoughts on 2.3 – Dressing Your Loom Back to Front – Warping a 27 yd long warp

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Ginette
      Keymaster

Let us know your thoughts on 2.3 – Dressing Your Loom Back to Front – Warping a 27 yd long warp.

Terry Waltz
        Participant

Could you pass an extra warp rod or dowel through the loop and attach weight to it with a “sled”, so your last bit would be tensioned while winding on?

Ginette
            Keymaster

Hi Terry, I haven’t heard of it but if you give it a try, let us know how it works out 🙂

Rosanna Lovecchio
            Participant

I love the idea of the books!  Much better flow.  I’ve been doing the “crank and yank and strum” method.  It usually works out fine but a bit jerky going back and forth between front and back of the loom.  Always feel like my warp is not wound on with the same tension.  Thanks!

Jenni Gormley
              Participant

You make it all look so easy. Can’t wait to start winding my warp. I’ve realised that’s been what’s been causing me problems. An untidy warp.

Nancy Ricketts
                Participant

This was my first time trying back to front dressing my loom and with your instructions it was so easy. This will definitely be my preferred method from now on. The warp went on smoothly and evenly

Deborah Fister
                  Participant

Books are a great idea! better than a warping trapeze. I have seen bouts with weights attached, too.

Betty Kaufmann
                    Participant

Hi JST!
                      I am new to the Online Guild and am working my way through your episodes. Awesome!
                      Quick questions:
                      *Is it important that the lease sticks move? My are secured on my loom.

*Is it desirable to have thinner paper? I was taught to use rolled up cardboard they sold at a Weavers’ supply outlet.

Thank You for your time and attention!
                      Betty Lou

Sandra
                        Keymaster

Welcome to our weaving world, Betty.  I tie my lease sticks on when dressing the loom the way Jane does, but mine slant up from the back beam to the castle of my loom.  That way, I can sit at the front while threading my heddles, and adjust the height of my lease sticks so I can see them easily.  The way I tie up mine gives them the ability to slide up or down a wee bit to get into my line of view.  They come off when everything is secured at the front and I’m ready to weave.

I would certainly get a roll of heavy paper to have on hand.  Paper doesn’t take up as much room on your back beam as layers of cardboard does, in case you ever want to put on a longer warp.  Looking forward to seeing your results as you progress on your new adventure!

Teri Smith
                        Participant

Will the books creating tension in the warp work with a wide warp, over 30″.  Do you still use one stack of books or split in half and use two or more stacks?

Deborah Fister
                          Participant

The experts need to weigh in on this one. I have wound only one wide warp and it became a tension disaster. I eventually had to cut off and rebeam the warp.

Kellie Stapleton
                            Participant

I did the down-down, up-up when setting up the lease sticks. They slide by hand, but when I wind the warp on they get pulled all the way to the back beam? They seem too tight…….

Sandra
                                Keymaster

Don’t worry about it, Kellie – the lease sticks are doing their job and keeping the cross intact.  When you are ready to thread, just slide them to a spot that gives a clear visual and reach, to pick up your warp threads for your heddles.

Viewing 9 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.