Thoughts on 2.2.4 – Sample One – Asymmetry at the Loom

Forums Weaving Discussion Online Guild Discussion Season 2 – Colour & Design Thoughts on 2.2.4 – Sample One – Asymmetry at the Loom

Viewing 29 reply threads
  • Author
      Ginette
      Keymaster

Let us know your thoughts on 2.2.4 – Sample One – Asymmetry at the Loom.

Joy Sceviour
        Participant

So I, too, have had smiley faces on the fell line. I saw your smiley faces on the selvages and how to fix them. I gather that smiley faces on the fell line can be fixed by tightening the warp threads on both edges of the warp. I find this happens at the beginning of the project, so it is easy to get at the tails of the warp. Is there anything else I can do?
          Love the information so far and the sample ideas are to die for!
          Joy

Jane
            Keymaster

Nope…it is as simple as that…just get it straight at the beginning.

Carol
            Participant

Just put 6 yard warp on my loom. Looked like great colour combinations in the light I was working in last night. In the bright morning light its another thing. I know colour changes according to light and it did. Dark grey is now more rose and the light grey is actually a very pale blue. This will work for this study as long as I don’t look at it in daylight. Good lesson. I would send a picture with this if I could figure out how to do it. In the meantime, happy weaving.

Ginette
                Keymaster

Hi Carol, You can post pictures in the main forum. We’ve got a thread there for the Asymmetry sample. Will be nice to see what your colours are like.
                  Ginette

Carol
                    Participant

Thanks. I have the photo posted now

Lise
                      Participant

Ginette, I’ve looked but can’t find what you call the Main Forum (see Feb 2018). Is it labeled as that?  You say there’s a thread called Asymmetry Samples for us to post photos in? I’ve done a search for it and it did not come up. It would be nice if it was possible to have a Topic labeled for each of the samples/projects for each season so we could share photos and inspire each other.

If it exists, it is not easy to find.

I’m new to the guild but not new to forums… but it might be that I have to spend more time on the forum to figure it out.

Do you find that the Ravelry forum is used more?

Lorain
                    Participant

Ok, I ‘m not seeing where we get the pdf files, can someone help?
                      Many thanks.

Ginette
                        Keymaster

Hi Lorain,
                          When you’re on episode 2.2.1 – Creating your Graphic Library, it’s up in the lefthand corner of the screen at the top under the ‘eye’. It’s the first of the 2 downloads.
                          Ginette

katie.lacewell
                        Participant

I’m interested that you weave squares on the loom. I usually weave a slightly elongated ‘square” on the loom and when I take it off the loom, it has drawn up to be a square. Sometimes that doesn’t happen all the way until after washing, but it happens. I am weaving on a big ol’ Cranbrook with high tension. Is this is loom specific issue?

Jane
                            Keymaster

It is not loom specific, it is tension specific. I don’t weave with high tension.

Ellen Black
                            Participant

I am so enjoying this. I have my first sample woven. Came back to review, and go over my notes. I love this format. Can you tell me the other color combinations you have there at the end? Also are they boucle? Thank you ! Ellen

Ginette
                                Keymaster

Hi Ellen, are they the ones in this episode at the end you’re wondering? If so, they are Cotton boucle weft, warp opened at 12 EPI.

MaryAnn Kull
                                Participant

I’m almost finished with my first sample. This had been a wonderful experience. I really feel like a weaver now.

Janet
                                  Participant

Good Morning! I am getting ready to wind the warp for this sample and will be using my new 12 shaft Spring loom. I have really enjoyed Jane’s video instructions on this loom, however, I have a very basic question. What, if anything, needs to be done with the unused shafts–in this case, shafts 5 through 12? Do they need to be addressed in any way? With the jack loom I have been using, nothing needs to be done, but I know the countermarche is different. Thank you so much!

Ginette
                                      Keymaster

Hi Janet, congrats on your new Spring loom! Here’s the answer to your question from Jane’s Helpline, I’ve copied & pasted for you. Happy Weaving!

What to do with extra harnesses and lamms on Louet Spring

I’ve just received my long awaited Spring loom. I went for broke and got a 12 harness loom. I’m almost ready to put on my first project. (It went together beautifully). Here’s my question. Since I’m new to the loom, I’m thinking it’s a good idea to be on the less ambitious side, and start with something simple – such as an 8 harness pattern. What do I do with the extra harnesses and lamms? I used to have a Glimakra countermarche, and I simply took off the extras. Do I do the same with the Spring? Or is it better to start with all 12 harnesses? I’m not a new weaver. I’m just new to this loom. Thanks.

Congratulations on your new loom. You can weave on any number of shafts, even just 2 :^) I leave the blocking pin on any shafts that aren’t in use. You insert the pin from the back and pick up anything that isn’t being used and then they just sit there as happy as can be. Don’t take the harnesses off, phew…that would be a horrible job. You also don’t tie-up any treadles that aren’t in use.

Janet
                                      Participant

Thank you Ginette! That is exactly the information I need–and the answer is what I wanted to hear! Now onward!

ladyquilter2136
                                        Participant

Are you doing anything specific to create your selvages; such as, using a floating selvage ?

Ginette
                                          Keymaster

Hi Ladyquilter,
                                            Jane didn’t use floating selvedges for plain weave. Did you get a chance to look at episode 5.2 from season 1? Jane goes through several good points about selvedges.
                                            Ginette

ladyquilter2136
                                              Participant

Yes, I’ve seen that episode, but I think I’ll go back and review. Please let Jane know that I love this guild. I’ve learned so much already. She is awesome.
                                                Thanks for the quick response,
                                                Melody

Ginette
                                                  Keymaster

Will do! She’s teaching an in-house workshop this week but I will let her know. 🙂

carol1855wlr
                                                Participant

I loved all the episodes for this sample! I’ll be weaving on a LeClerc Dorothy with a weaving width of 15 3/4″ which means I’ll have to weave a double width cloth. This will be a first for me. My second challenge is going to be when we change from 18 epi to 12 epi. That narrow width on my loom makes this problematic. The only solution I see is to warp the loom for 12 epi and still start weaving at 18 epi thus giving me a narrower cloth. Do you see a better solution for me to try?

Sandra
                                                    Keymaster

Check out Jane’s answer to Carol on the Online Guild Forum under the Asymmetry Sample thread.

stanleydashjones
                                                    Participant

I have really benefited by Jane’s instruction and hints. Thanks so much for doing this. In this video 2.2.4 Jane begins higher up on her warp above a black line across the warp. It doesn’t look like picks though it looks more like a hem stitch. I am wondering if that is a way to start a new sample? I have just finished the first section on this sample and I also wanted to know how much gap to leave before the next sample?

Sandra
                                                        Keymaster

I think you are referring to the beginning of the Asymmetry sample. Jane has just tied on her warp and woven a few picks to get the warp established. She started this sample with a contrasting hemstitch in black. She would have tucked her ends in to complete the black and then started the sample off in white to create her white square.

The amount of gap you leave depends on how you want to finish your samples – with a fringe or with a hem. If you are planning to use your samples as tea towels, then you would leave enough for your hems between two towels – I mark the division of the two with a contrasting colour. There has been talk about hemming on the Online Guild Forum – if you need some ideas, search the Forum for hemming. Hope this helps!

stanleydashjones
                                                        Participant

Hi. I’m trying to find the place where Jane shows how to cut off the warp and reslay the loom. I have reviewed all of 2.1 to 2.2.4 and I just don’t see it. She demonstrates that it can be done in 2.3 right? But I’m sure I saw a place where she actually.does it. Pleas tell where I’ve missed it.

Ginette
                                                          Keymaster

Morning, it’s the video at:

Re-sleying without rebeaming 2.1.4

Ginette

stanleydashjones
                                                              Participant

Hi Ginette. That’s where I thought it would be but I start the video at 0 and Jane is sitting at a reslayed loom. Then I just watched all the way through and there is no video of her actually cutting the the warp and reslaying. I thought I saw a video previously where she does that. Am I missing something?

Frances

Ginette
                                                                  Keymaster

Hi Frances, Jane doesn’t show on video the actual cutting of the warp and resleying but talks about it. Basically the way to do it, you advance your warp to give you enough warp so the threads don’t come out of your reed & heddles on their own. Then you cut the warp, pull the threads out of the reed making sure they don’t come out of the heddles and then you can resley. Hope this helps.
                                                                    Ginette

nc345
                                                                      Participant

Thanks,! I had the same question.
                                                                        I’m hopeful I can fix the the resleying mistake and be brave enough to cut the warp!

Ginny
                                                                        Participant

Just for clarity when resleying, are we cutting the warp off in front or in back of the reed?

• #156905
                                                                            Sandra
                                                                            Keymaster

You are cutting the warp off in front of the reed, removing your woven section, then resleying your reed. Leave yourself enough room on your warp to tie on again before you put scissors to it 😉

sengle685
                                                                      Participant

When looking at the sample kits you have available, I didn’t find any place where it tells you how many yards the sample kit will do for a warp. In one of the videos Jane says to do a 6 to 8 yard warp. I was wondering if these kits are enough to do 8 yard warps or only 6 yards.

thanks

• #156884
                                                                          Ginette
                                                                          Keymaster

Hi sengle685, the kit will do a 6 yard warp no problem. You’ll have enough to weave the Asymmetry sample and the idea is that you use up some of the other colours from the kit in your weft as well for the rest of the warp along with some of your stash of 2/8 or other yarns you may have handy. Cottolin works great by the way. If you would like an 8 yard warp, best to order an extra cone of bleached and that will do it.
                                                                            Ginette

• #156885
                                                                          bzbbell
                                                                          Participant

I have two questions, and apologies if the answers appear somewhere else (I bet they do). First has to do with winding a warp with a bunch of stripes like this one. The question is whether you cut/break the warp thread and tie it on to the last peg of our warp on the warping board every time you change colours or is there some way to carry different coloured threads along as you wind the warp? It ended up working OK but I found it challenging to keep a consistent tension on the last thread as I tied it off before changing colours. Second is where does Jane show how she “tucks the ends” when changing colors in the weft? I can sort of see what she’s doing by watching her weave but would love to see it demonstrated. Many thanks.

• #156886
                                                                              Ginette
                                                                              Keymaster

Hi bzbbell, in episode 1.3 of Season 1, Making a Good Warp at the 3:20 mark, Jane demonstrates changing colours by breaking off the threads you just finished and how to tie on the new threads, this really helps with keeping tension on the warp. Tucking tails, you can view this in Season 1 again, in Episode 5.2 – Project Planning 101 – Intro to unfinished business – Tucking Tails.
                                                                                Ginette

0
                                                                            • #156887
                                                                              molleo99
                                                                              Participant

Hi!
                                                                                I think I’ve watched everything I’m supposed to before starting the actual first Asymmetry project, but I have a pretty basic question I didn’t see answered. How does Jane want us to wind our warp? Should we be using the technique she demonstrated in S1 where we wind and then tie the next color to the previous one on the warping board? I seem to recall she’s not a fan of winding one color, then making the next a separate warp and so on.
                                                                                Thank you! I’m excited to begin!
                                                                                Rayme

0
                                                                                • #156888
                                                                                  Sandra
                                                                                  Keymaster

That’s right, Rayme. Wind your warp the way that Jane demonstrates in Season 1. Have fun!

0
                                                                                    • #156889
                                                                                      molleo99
                                                                                      Participant

I’m sorry, I’m still a little confused. The first project calls for 30 white ends, then a bunch of ten ends of different colors, then 80 more white ends. Are we supposed to be winding just *one* color at a time onto the board, or holding pairs of thread colors together (eg, black and white, or red and white) as Jane did for her boucle warp?
                                                                                        Thank you!!
                                                                                        Rayme

0
                                                                                        • #156890
                                                                                          Sandra
                                                                                          Keymaster

If you have 2 cones of any of your colours, you could wind 2 colours at a time. For example, for the white sections you could wind 2 threads of white together until you have 30 ends. Then break those threads and tie on either one thread to wind 10 blacks (or if you have two cones you could wind black 2 at a time). Wind your warp that way until you get to 80 white and do the same thing you did with the 30 threads. The warp she was winding with boucle was for a colour and weave warp where the pattern called for 3 darks and 1 light to be wound over and over again – not solid colours like you have in the Asymmetry Sample. Hope this helps.

0
                                                                                            • #156891
                                                                                              molleo99
                                                                                              Participant

Yes! Thanks very much for the clarification!

0
                                                                                      • #156892
                                                                                        Steve Lucas
                                                                                        Participant

hi Jane, what is the weightlength of yarn in each of the cones for your sample kits please? I cant see it in the specs for the individual kits. I fear postage to the UK will ramp up the overall cost 🙁 so better to source the yarns here.
                                                                                          thanks
                                                                                          Steve

0
                                                                                          • #156893
                                                                                            Steve Lucas
                                                                                            Participant

I think I found the answer to this at 57 thoughts on “2.4.1 – At the Table – 1/2pound cones?

0
                                                                                              • #156894
                                                                                                Ginette
                                                                                                Keymaster

Hi Steve, you’re correct, each cone of 2/8 cotton is 1/2 lb.

0
                                                                                            • #156895
                                                                                              nc345
                                                                                              Participant

Hi!
                                                                                                Slow poke here…
                                                                                                It’s only taken me nearly three years to sort of catchup on episodes and wind the first sample kit. I swear I used a 6 yard guiding string but I’ve run out of bleached white and need 20 more ends to.
                                                                                                I only got 60 of the 80.

Any suggestions on what Color I should finish with that would be in line with this lesson/episode.

I have white from another kit but worries I will run into the same issue.

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks!

0
                                                                                              • #156896
                                                                                                Sue Heathcote
                                                                                                Participant

Thank you, Jane – I have enjoyed everything so far and learned much.

I have just warped up 6 yards of the Asymmetry sample (two threads at a time) with 8/2 cotton; I have a 10 dent reed, and if I understand correctly, I should be putting 1-2-2-2 threads through my raddle. What should the width be in the reed? 15 1/2″ seems too short. I have the bigger Louet Jane. Thank you.

0
                                                                                                • #156897
                                                                                                  Sue Heathcote
                                                                                                  Participant

I have just watched the previous episode “Introduction to Sample One”, and Jane says that the width in the reed is 16 1/2″. Not 15 1/2″ as per the information sheet pdf. Perhaps this is where I am confused!

0
                                                                                                    • #156898
                                                                                                      Sandra
                                                                                                      Keymaster

Hi Sue, the easiest way to double-check the width in the reed, is to take your number of ends and divide it by your sett. In this case – 280 ends divided by a sett of 18 gives you 15.5″ in your reed. You are correct about sleying the sample, using your 10 reed, by sleying 1,2,2,2. The important thing about using your raddle is to have your warp centred and the same width in your raddle as it will be in your reed. Have fun!

1
                                                                                                    • #156900
                                                                                                      nc345
                                                                                                      Participant

Hello
                                                                                                        Well, it appears that I have made numerous mistakes regardless of my note taking.

Question: what should I expect if I forgot to lash metal rod to the back warp stick— it’s held on by texsolv at either end.? I realized this after I sleyed and tied on to the front.

Should I unwind the whole 6 yards carefully and start all over?

Some day, I will make it to sample 2;)

0
                                                                                                        • #156901
                                                                                                          Ginette
                                                                                                          Keymaster

Hi nc345, I’ve done that! When I got near the end of the warp where I can have access to the metal rod, I lashed then and it kept everything in place to finish weaving.

0
                                                                                                        • #156902
                                                                                                          nc345
                                                                                                          Participant

Hi there,
                                                                                                            Thanks Ginette for the lashing on tip.
                                                                                                            And more ?
                                                                                                            I’m reviewing my notes and revisiting videos sections as I work my way through sample 1. (Not that has prevented my many errors) Tucking tails, diving and bumping, and anchoring.

anchoring. .. Jane mentioned not anchoring for sample 1 because she wanted a clean selvedge.Did I misunderstand? I can’t find the minute mark.

I haven’t been anchoring… beginning or end of color sections.
                                                                                                            Normally, Should you anchor before and after introducing a new bobbin/yarn?

Making all the mistakes …

0
                                                                                                            • #156903
                                                                                                              Ginette
                                                                                                              Keymaster

What Jane means in this part is she wasn’t going to carry the thread up the sides as she wanted a clean selvedge. That said, she did tuck her tails with each beginning and ending of colour changes. You do want to do that as well to secure the threads. Carrying the thread up the sides, if you want to see what that is, watch this little bit from Season 1, Episode 3.
                                                                                                                -carrying weft thread up the side when using colour changes 3.3, 20:12
                                                                                                                Sometimes you want to use it, and sometimes not. On a white dominant warp, those colour threads to show up more when carried up and sometimes that looks ok too. It’s what you like in the end. I would start tucking your tails though whenever you change colour, white or the others.

0
                                                                                                            • #163465
                                                                                                              jackdogcompton
                                                                                                              Participant

Good morning!  I’ve been making good progress with my asymmetry samples.  I think I mastered the basic moves for jump the bump, dive the dip and am gaining speed and confidence.  Hooray!!!  But I’m not getting the smooth scalloped selvedges using a LLD pattern and instead I’m seeing small thread bumps.  I’ve included a photo here.  Are you able to tell what I’m doing wrong?  Thanks  as always for your help!  CarolIMG_20200424_115017_1

0
                                                                                                                • #163472
                                                                                                                  Sandra
                                                                                                                  Keymaster

The only thing that you might try is giving your yarn a tiny tug, before you “change” to make it pull in ever so slightly.  Give it a try and see if it helps.

1
                                                                                                                • #163479
                                                                                                                  jackdogcompton
                                                                                                                  Participant

Thanks Sandra!  It worked.  Looks much better … and I thought I had been tugging too much.  Much appreciated! 😊

1
                                                                                                                  • #166611
                                                                                                                    Carol Hames
                                                                                                                    Participant

I’m thoroughly enjoying these classes and looking forward to weaving these samples. Just a question about yarn…do you use mercerized cotton, or will regular cotton work okay?

0
                                                                                                                    • #166618
                                                                                                                      Carol Hames
                                                                                                                      Participant

Thanks, Sandra, for getting back to me so quickly. Good to know.

1
                                                                                                                      • #168432
                                                                                                                        arpesq
                                                                                                                        Participant

I’ve found it once and can’t find it again–the part of this on line thingie where guild members share photos of their efforts. I somehow found the photos of the white, black, gray, and red towels and now can’t find it again; and I’m sure I’ll want to see the guild members’ efforts for all the samples–so please let me know where I can find that on line. Thanks.

0
                                                                                                                          • #168436
                                                                                                                            Sandra
                                                                                                                            Keymaster

If it’s the Asymmetry sample you are looking for – try putting Asymmetry into the search section at the top of the Forum and you should come up with photos of what others have done with that sample.  I was able to find some by doing that.  Let me know if this helps.

0
                                                                                                                          • #168526
                                                                                                                            arpesq
                                                                                                                            Participant

That’s not it. Only a few photos show up. the thread I found ONCE–drat it can’t find it again–had a whole lot of participants’ photos of their Asymmetry towels. One of them is a friend of mine and I even tried to find it by using her name in the search, and got everyone with the same first name, but not HER!!! This is very frustrating.

0
                                                                                                                              • #168554
                                                                                                                                Sandra
                                                                                                                                Keymaster

Have you been able to ask her where she posted it? That’s the only other thing I can suggest is that not everyone posts in an existing thread – some weavers create their own threads.  Also, she may be using a unique user name rather than her own name.  So if you haven’t found it by searching using asymmetry, then I have no idea how to find it.

0
                                                                                                                            Viewing 29 reply threads
                                                                                                                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.