Thoughts on 2.10.3 – At the Table – Primaries & Secondaries on Black

Forums Weaving Discussion Online Guild Discussion Season 2 – Colour & Design Thoughts on 2.10.3 – At the Table – Primaries & Secondaries on Black

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      Ginette
      Keymaster

Let us know your thoughts on 2.10.3 – At the Table – Primaries & Secondaries on Black.

Ellen Black
        Participant

Another wonderful episode ! I love these gamps .

Ellen Black
          Participant

When you remove the yellow from the warp do you re-slay to center the remaining warp ?

Ginette
              Keymaster

Hi Ellen,
                You don’t need to resley the remaining warp, it’ll work fine weaving it a bit off centered.

Ed Chapman
              Participant

Love the black frames to reveal the color and structure interplay. Its like falling through the looking glass.

Patricia Moore
                Participant

I am learning so much about color and blending and how they interplay with one another.I am so amazingly struck with gamp and can’t wait to start to play.

Neva Thiessen
                  Participant

How do you go from plain weave to twill in the same piece?

loislinnea01
                    Participant

Jane. I love this episode & am viewing it for the 100th time!  Can u tell how you washed the cotton silk shawl at the end of this episode.

Sandra
                        Keymaster

Jane would have washed it by hand, gently, and hung it to dry.  Easy peasy.

Jan
                        Participant

Very simple questions – perhaps too simple:

(1) How does Jane finish a straight hem ?   It appears to be a sewing machine finish  – but how much to tuck under before the fold, and is there a special technique used to not unravel ?  Does the hem stitch apply to fringe and also a straight hem ?

(2) How to skip between projects on the same warp without cutting ?  ( I am watching all of Season 2 while waiting for my beautiful yarns to arrive 🙂

I greatly appreciate these beautiful videos and excellent techniques Jane is teaching.  My days are filled with joy.

Ginette
                            Keymaster

Hi Jan,

In Season 1 Episode 10, there’s a video on machine finishing – 10.8 – Bonus hemming where Jane goes through all this.

As for skipping between projects, do you have one of the Season 2 samples on your loom at the moment?

Just adding, so glad you’re enjoying the videos!

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by Ginette.
                            Jan
                            Participant

Thank you Ginette !!

That video answers all my questions and much more !!    I don’t know how I completely missed that very wonderful bonus on hemming.  Thank you for your timely response.

I have very old warp on my loom that I will practice on until my supplies for Season 2 arrive.

These videos and Jane’s style of teaching are just amazing.  I am late to the party, but so glad I found you 🙂

Jan

Jan
                              Participant

For the last scarf using  2/20 silk,

1.). How many skeins of Margarita Violeta,  Buddha Berry, and Ariel’s Voice has Jane used?

2.). Is the Black also 2/20 silk?  Many thanks !!  The scarfs are absolutely gorgeous !!

Sandra
                                  Keymaster

Depending on your design of the scarf – you would have plenty of silk, with lots left over for your stash, if you have one skein of each colour.  The Black is also 20/2 silk.  Have fun, Jan!  Each skein of 20/2 silk has 1,100 yards of wonderful silk in it.

Jan
                                  Participant

I have reviewing the video – and it appears that the center black warp stripe (and framing on sides )is 2/30 silk?  I believe Jane says that makes a smoother(?) clasp area in the middle clasp section  ?   Thank you for identifying the 2/20 black weft !!  Since these yarns are not inexpensive, I want to get it right 🙂

Sandra
                                      Keymaster

You’re right, I didn’t catch the Clasped Weft – it’s always done in thinner yarn to keep the right number of ppi.  Good catch!  Shhhhhh – I haven’t woven all the samples 😉

Joy Sceviour
                                      Participant

I am trying to insert a photo of one of my projects. I have it at 2.65 MB and figure that is small enough to be OK.
                                        I click on it and drag it over to this site, but it won’t drop down.
                                        Can you help me?

Sandra
                                          Keymaster

Hi Joy, can you try reducing it a bit to see if that helps?  And are you using the little “picture” icon to insert your photo (on the far right of the formatting bar when you are creating your post)?  I’ll watch to see if you are successful.

Joy Sceviour
                                          Participant

I just finished my colour gamp and thought I’d turn them into tea towels. I found that when I wove tromp as writ, I ended up with a bun basket cover. The blocks were right but the finished product wasn’t big enough for a tea towel.
                                            This was a steep learning curve for me, since the black yarn was rotten and kept breaking. It came with the loom and heaven only knows how long the previous owner had it. My husband and I had to replace all the black yarn, a big job, since the warp was already on the loom and I had been weaving a few squares already.
                                            This is a project I won’t soon forget.

Joy Sceviour
                                            Participant

colour gamp2

Sandra
                                                Keymaster

Looks great, Joy!

Viewing 13 reply threads
                                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.