Thoughts on 2.1.3 Sett Discussion

Forums Weaving Discussion Online Guild Discussion Season 2 – Colour & Design Thoughts on 2.1.3 Sett Discussion

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      Ginette
      Keymaster

Let us know your thoughts on 2.1.3 Sett Discussion.

Rachelle Weiss
        Participant

Just viewed 2.1.2 and I’m thrilled to see what this next guild year holds for members. Although attending a workshop in person was on my “bucket list,” I think that having the workshop days and respective topics presented as individual episodes will be so beneficial and allow for a more thorough learning process. (Re)learning weaving was my first sound decision and joining the guild ranks right up there with it!
          Rachelle

liz197355
            Participant

I’m one of those total newbies. My dream is to do this whole workshop and then be able to also do it in person! Wooot that’s my dream!

Ginette
                Keymaster

Welcome Liz! Enjoy weaving the samples. There’s so many possibilities with each warp! It’s such a great workshop 🙂

Betty
              Participant

My loom is 12 inches in width with a 16 dent Reed. So that is what I will use with the 8/2
                Cotton. Hopefully my math skill will come in handy with changing the warp ends needed.

Ginette
                  Keymaster

Hi Betty, do you have the Reed Substitution Chart? There’s a pdf copy of it in Season 1, Episode 4.

Karen
                  Participant

Hello Jane,
                    I know you said you didn’t want to give us info about future episodes to avoid our becoming distracted. I am the slowest weaver on the planet and am wondering if you would share the threading information for the first sample so I can get started on stringing my loom.

Sandra
                      Keymaster

Hi Karen, Sorry to be slow in getting back to you. Have you checked for the attachment in the email Jane sent our on January 22nd? The information you need is there.

mgwerner212
                      Participant

I am a little late to the party… but I just wanted to let all of you know how much I am enjoying this format. Thank you so, so much for all the time and attention you are putting into this fantastic production. I binge watched all of last year in the past week… I CAN’T wait for this coming year. I have learned so much already!! It is going to be so much fun. Thank you Jane and thank you to all of your helpers who are making this possible.

Jane
                          Keymaster

Thank you for your kind comments….now you can start diving into this year 🙂

Geraldine
                          Participant

When I went down to 12 epi I had problems with the weft shifting as it moved over the front beam. Was this simply a case of my weft yarn being too fine. I noticed it was worse with a mystery yarn (possibly acrylic? ) than with a slub silk. I guess it’s just a case for sampling lol

cynthiaquilici
                            Participant

I have a question about which reed to substitute.. for 14epi, is there any reason you wouldn’t use a 15-dent reed, skipping a dent.. rather than using the 8-dent reed mentioned, and sleying 2-2-2-1-2-2-2-1? Is it always better to “gang-up” the threads than leave spaces?

Jacquelyn Partain
                              Participant

Hi again…loving the guild lessons and have a question about seeing the “excerpt “ Jane talks about at the end of this lesson where it shows her resetting the warp so we can learn how. I only have an ipad and the excerpt does not automatically follow like she seems to say it does. I have woven two napkins from my Parrot lesson in year 2 (thank you for helping me with understanding tying on at the cross end) and want to change the sett but cannot find any video on it….help again please, thank you! I am truly enjoying the learning process and the learning curve.
                                Jacqui

Sandra
                                  Keymaster

Hi Jacquelyn – have you cut off the two napkins yet? If not, that is your first step. When you have them off, pull your warp back through your reed, figure out what sett you are wanting to try and how wide your new cloth will be in your reed and resley your reed. For instance – if your napkins have an epi of 18″ and your width in the reed now is about 18 1/2″ with 332 ends, then when you open your sett to – say 12 epi, those 332 ends will make a 27 1/2″ spread (332/12). Your reed substitution chart will tell you how you can adapt the reed you are using to get a more open sett. For instance, if you are using an 8 dent reed – you would thread your reed 1-2. Hope this helps and enjoy!

Jacquelyn Partain
                                      Participant

Thank you for the quick response! I have it ready to go, washed the first two napkins to see how they did and all is great so far. Could only go down to 14 epi as i only have a 26” weaving width. This is taking all the fear out of my weaving! I am so happy with the guided experimenting experience!

fuzzbutt
                                    Participant

Hi there!
                                      I cannot tell you how valuable this online guild has been for me. I am a new self-taught weaver and don’t know one soul who weaves in my area. My closest guild is nearly an hour away so you ARE my guild. Thank you, Jane!
                                      Now, my question is…Can you please tell me what reed size you used in the very first Parrot sample? It wasn’t mentioned in the video.
                                      Thank you!
                                      Carin

Ginette
                                        Keymaster

Hi fuzzbutt,
                                          The reed size Jane used is #12, sleyed 1,2. Jane goes into details for the Parrot sample in Season 2, Episode 5 More on Fibonacci (aka Parrot), you can download the Lesson PDF draft with all the info on it.
                                          You can also find all the PDFs right here https://janestaffordtextiles.com/online-guild-episodes/pdfs/
                                          So glad you’re enjoying the online guild!

Erin
                                        Participant

I inherited an old (1950s) LeClerc Mira loom from a local arts centre who were getting rid of it. It came with only one reed. Is it possible to determine what dent it is by measuring? If so, how do you do this?

Sandra
                                            Keymaster

Hi Erin!  It’s likely that your reed is an Imperial one, given that it came on a Leclerc – they are the most common in NA.  Just grab a ruler or measuring tape, line up an inch mark and count the number of slots between it and the next inch mark.  Voilà!  You’ll know what your Reed is.  Don’t forget to check Jane’s Reed Substitution Chart to find out all the setts you can do on one reed!

Susan Favro
                                            Participant

I’m just starting a project that calls for 8/2 cotton at 22-1/2 EPI (15-dent reed sleyed 2, 1) and 18 to 24 PPI (these are for dish towels in a variety of twill patterns). Based on what Jane has taught here, I’m thinking I’d like to decrease the EPI to 18 (12-dent reed sleyed 2, 1) which, if I understand sett correctly and if the PPI is kept at 18 then I’ll have a more balanced weave (even though it’s twill?). Dropping down to 18 EPI will make for a slightly softer cloth that will be a bit wider than the original pattern specs, right?  The warp is off the mill and I’m ready to dress the loom (Schacht Mighty Wolf). Suggestions? [And thanks for all this knowledge and information. I’m drinking it in as quickly as I can.]

Sandra
                                              Keymaster

Have you checked Jane’s Master Sett Chart?  You might find your answer there.

Susan Favro
                                                Participant

Ah-ha! I forgot about that resource. Thanks, Sandra.

Viewing 12 reply threads
                                              • The forum ‘Season 2 – Colour & Design’ is closed to new topics and replies.