Thoughts on 2.1.1 – Intro to Season 2, our one and only guild meeting :)

Forums Weaving Discussion Online Guild Discussion Season 2 – Colour & Design Thoughts on 2.1.1 – Intro to Season 2, our one and only guild meeting :)

Viewing 50 reply threads
  • Author
      Ginette
      Keymaster

Let us know your thoughts on 2.1.1 – Intro to Season 2, our one and only guild meeting :).

Jacqueline
        Participant

I can’t watch the currant video as Vimeo says its a private video and I haven’t got permission. Is this because I am due to pay my next subscriptions?
          Jacqueline Hitchen

abelau
          Participant

I can’t either and I am paid through November.

Jacqueline
            Participant

I have checked and my subscription is due in February! Help.
              Jacqueline Hitchen

Sue
              Participant

I have signed up to Vimeo and already have receipt for this year’s payment but it’s still saying I don’t have permission. Can you help please. Only thing I can think of is time difference ( uk) but can’t think how.

Sue
                Participant

I have paid my subs but am still being told by Vimeo that I can’t watch the new episode. I have signed up for Vimeo and it recognises me on its site but it still won’t give me permission. Hope you can help. Thanks

Heather
                  Participant

Same as the above posters have logged out and back in again still no joy watching video. UK as well.

Anne Littlebird
                    Participant

I just think that it needs to have a button unchecked. Funny how we were all up at 2 am trying to access it. 🙂

R Teresa
                      Participant

I too am unable to watch.

Karen
                        Participant

I get the same message. I was to,d last week that my enrollment would automatically renew, so I don’t understand.

Clare
                          Participant

Having the same issue with Vimeo content being private. I’m in the U.S. and renew in August!

Maria Horvath
                            Participant

I am having the same Vimeo message, and problems.

Ian Oldaker
                              Participant

Same problem for me. I will wait for BC to have good daylight! Ian

Bethany
                                Participant

Me too… locked out – maybe the release today did not include the business adding the list of paid subscribers. Maybe update tomorrow? Can you tell we are eager?

Inga
                                  Participant

Vimeo private. Can not watch it.

msopps
                                    Participant

I’m having the same issue as the others.

Carmen Berthelette
                                      Participant

I can’t get in either.

Louise
                                        Participant

I don’t think the video is released until today (18th January) I am in the UK so not sure what time that will be.

butternutfarm
                                          Participant

Good morning!

I can not access the video – must be a technical glitch.

saddleblankets
                                            Participant

arrrrghhhhh, I can’t get in either!

Joy Sceviour
                                              Participant

Ditto all the above comments. What is the solution to this problem?
                                                Joy

Sandra
                                                Keymaster

Don’t you love technology! When it works it’s wonderful but throw in a glitch and ……… You can be sure that Jane and team are aware of the problem and working away at solving it. We have a disadvantage on the west coast – we’re almost the last time zone in the world so it’s just 8:30 am on this very wet coast. Keep checking, all will be fixed as soon as possible!

Jane
                                                    Keymaster

Hi kids,
                                                      We have had a major power outage and haven’t been able to fix the viewing problem….the power has just come back on so we hope to have it fixed in a hour or so.
                                                      Sometimes mother nature has other ideas 🙂
                                                      Cheers,
                                                      Jane

Trudy Exton
                                                    Participant

I logged out and logged back in and now it’s working

Linda
                                                      Participant

Gotta love technology!

Posted from lunch time at my job running the physical side of a data center. 🙂

R Teresa
                                                        Participant

Good work ladies! It is working now.

Jacqueline
                                                          Participant

Hi Jane & friends,
                                                            Great episode! Will you offer the towel pdf for sale as I can’t afford the postage to uk for the kit.
                                                            Jacqueline x

Jane
                                                              Keymaster

Hi Jacqueline, YOu will get all the pdf’s and the patterns with each episode. The next episode you will get the pattern for the first sample Asymmetry.

vjmca
                                                              Participant

Can I use your finer cotton for the samples?
                                                                Vanda

Jane
                                                                  Keymaster

You can use what ever you want but the setts will have to be changed for finer yarns. I have done all the work on 2/8 simply because, well simply because I love that yarn.

Karen
                                                                  Participant

Is there a way to buy all seven kits and save on shipping?

Jane
                                                                      Keymaster

Thank you to everyone who has ordered their first kit. As you know this is another new branch of the online guild for me….the making of kits to support the presentation.
                                                                        I had no idea how many people would order so I played it safe and ordered enough yarn for 100 kits.
                                                                        The yarns for the 2nd kit will arrive next week and we hope to have them all kitted up and ready to go by the end of the week. So if you wait until next week
                                                                        you can order both at the same time and that will definitely help with the shipping. We had a few orders yesterday where weavers were clearly going together
                                                                        to share their shipping. If you don’t have anyone to share the shipping with, then this would be a great time to add a friend to the guild ;), wink, wink and then you will.

I know you probably can’t believe it, but I’m still weaving samples for this programme. I developed this process through my production work but those pieces are long gone so
                                                                        I am having to reproduce everything so I can show you the proof. This means I am still building the content. The one thing I can tell you is that the kits will only have the 8/2 cotton yarn for the base sample and
                                                                        8 yards of work on it. As you saw in the intro I go off on different tangents releying and using different weft yarns. I am not providing those yarns in the kits. Those tangents are optional and the purpose of them is to help you use you stash productively and successfully. There isn’t much that I don’t use together. I weave cotton with wool, with silk, with linen, with bambu…..I don’t make yarns live in separate worlds. You will also learn how to mix different weights of yarns, one in the warp and one in the weft and still create beautifully balanced and drapey cloth. I am hoping you will be able to do some serious stash busting this year.

Anywhoooooooo….as usual, I hope this helps.
                                                                        Over and Out!

• #156947
                                                                          lambweaves
                                                                          Participant

It looks like the first square on most of your warp samples is woven “tromp as writ” with the weft threads being the same as the warp threads. If I purchase a kit for a sample, can I count on there being enough yarn for the warp and also the weft for that first section?

Thanks – Pattie

• #156948
                                                                              Ginette
                                                                              Keymaster

Hi Pattie, the kit will have enough 2/8 cotton for you to weave the base sample for sure.
                                                                                Ginette

• #156940
                                                                          Mary Macmillan
                                                                          Participant

First I am SO excited about a Color and Design and Towel year! I love towels, I love colors but design has always been something elusive. I confess I have done snaps with my phone when I see you whip a towel by that I like – and most of them are the Asymmetry pattern! So I eagerly await next month. I have been weaving for 20+ years ,even teaching an “Intro to Weaving” for people who want to know if they want to invest in a class without spending a ton of $, and I have learned so much from Jane. I added beating on an open shed to last Intro and my co-teacher noted much better selvedges.
                                                                            For those of us who love towels, can we get some sort of cheat sheet for the year so we can figure out what colors in our stash we have and what we have enough of? And I am right that I can substitute cottolin for the 8/2 cotton? JANE RULES!

• #156943
                                                                              Jane
                                                                              Keymaster

You can substitute cottolin for your warp. I am working on all the other stuff 🙂

• #156941
                                                                              tculverhouse
                                                                              Participant

I have just joined expecting to start with Season 1 at the beginning can only see Season 2 wanted to start with basics

• #156942
                                                                                  Jane
                                                                                  Keymaster

They are all there in episodes….just keep scrolling down.

• #156944
                                                                                  Susan Henry
                                                                                  Participant

I am so excited about the projects and color work coming this year! Two questions as I check my stash in preparation: (1) I may have missed it, but are you using mercerized/perle or unmercerized cottons throughout? And (2) Can 10/2 cotton be directly substituted for your 8/2 or should we expect to need to adjust the sett? I know they are fairly close and I have some great 10/2 in my stash.

• #156945
                                                                                      Ginette
                                                                                      Keymaster

Hi Susan, the samples in Season 2 used is 2/8 cotton unmercerized. You can substitute with your stash but should change your sett.

• #156946
                                                                                      Nina Kennedy
                                                                                      Participant

I have some Maurice Brassard 8/2 yarn in my stash. Is that the brand that is in your kits for the Color and Design projects?

• #156949
                                                                                          Ginette
                                                                                          Keymaster

Hi Nina, your stash of 8/2 will work for the samples.
                                                                                            Ginette

• #156951
                                                                                          Irene Ouimet
                                                                                          Participant

Looking for the colors for each episode. Please help.
                                                                                            Irene

• #156952
                                                                                              Sandra
                                                                                              Keymaster

They were in an email that Jane sent to all Online Members last Monday. Did you not get the email?

• #156953
                                                                                              Fran
                                                                                              Participant

Oh oh……..looks like I deleted or lost the email with the yarn colours! Could someone please send it to me again? Thanks.

• #156954
                                                                                                  Sandra
                                                                                                  Keymaster

A copy has been forwarded to you, Fran.

• #156955
                                                                                                  Sarah
                                                                                                  Participant

Would it be okay to weave the samples on a Baby Wolf with metal heddles? The heddles are flat steel and in good shape.

• #156956
                                                                                                      Ginette
                                                                                                      Keymaster

Hi Sarah,
                                                                                                        Absolutely!
                                                                                                        Ginette

• #156957
                                                                                                      Linda
                                                                                                      Participant

You’ve got me excited about weaving with the first episode of season 2. You mentioned you use mostly an 8 and a 12 dent reed. Can I get away with a 6 dent or am I better with a 12. Thanks. Linda

• #156958
                                                                                                          Ginette
                                                                                                          Keymaster

Hi Linda,
                                                                                                            You can certainly use a 6 dent reed. It’s nice to have options with other reeds, but if you only have a 6, go for it.
                                                                                                            Ginette

• #156959
                                                                                                          Jane
                                                                                                          Participant

I ordered materials for the first kit and ordered it, but it still hasn’t arrived. Jane Edgett Feb. 11.

• #156960
                                                                                                              Jane
                                                                                                              Keymaster

I’m sorry Jane…I don’t see an order. Do you have an order number?
                                                                                                                Cheers,
                                                                                                                Jane

• #156961
                                                                                                              jdmunga
                                                                                                              Participant

I am new to weaving but so far am enjoying the journey. Feel like I am preschool with a whole lot to learn. I joined the online guild this week and know I am going in the right direction. A big thank you for the hard work you put in to these presentations. As a new member when you mention emails stating to look at episode 4 from last year is this something I can look at or just last years guild members? Thank you

• #156962
                                                                                                                  Ginette
                                                                                                                  Keymaster

Hi and welcome! The great thing about JST Online Guild is that you have access to all the past lessons! So absolutely view them. There’s 10 lessons in Season 1. There’s an index for the first season posted. When you’re on the main page of the lessons, at the top there’s a link to download it. Enjoy watching all the lessons!

• #156963
                                                                                                                  crystallynsantin
                                                                                                                  Participant

Hello! It sounds like I joined after the January email with all the colors for this upcoming season went out. Would you mind sending it along? Thanks!

• #156964
                                                                                                                      Ginette
                                                                                                                      Keymaster

Hi Chrystal, I’ve just email it to you.
                                                                                                                        Ginette

• #156965
                                                                                                                      lovemk
                                                                                                                      Participant

I am a relatively new weaver. I am using Kit #1 for the Guild Season 2 and while beaming the warp, one thread broke. As there is no cloth to weave the thread into, how do I fix it? Will the pattern be off if I just eliminate this thread? It seems to be it would be? Thanks!!

MKL

• #156966
                                                                                                                          Ginette
                                                                                                                          Keymaster

If your warp thread is one of the colours or the white between the coloured sections, it will probably make your pattern slightly off in that section. When this happens to me, I tie the two broken ends together and fix the it after it’s off the loom by weaving in a new thread with a needle. I go about 1 1/2 inches before & after the knot then cut the knot off. Maybe someone else has another solution to suggest.

• #156967
                                                                                                                          Janet
                                                                                                                          Participant

Hi – new member – just spent the last week or so catching up on Season 1. Is there an into email to Season 2 that describes materials we’ll need? Can you send it? thanks.

• #156968
                                                                                                                              Ginette
                                                                                                                              Keymaster

Hi Janet, I’ve just emailed you the info.
                                                                                                                                Ginette

• #156969
                                                                                                                              Melodie Mazurek
                                                                                                                              Participant

I would like to weave the first sample but increase it to 432 warp ends to get a 20 inch finished width at 18 epi. Any suggestions on how I can adjust the pattern?
                                                                                                                                Thank you

• #156970
                                                                                                                                  Ginette
                                                                                                                                  Keymaster

Hi Melody, you could add your extra threads to the 80 white threads, then your towels would remain asymmetrical.

• #156971
                                                                                                                                  Melodie Mazurek
                                                                                                                                  Participant

Thank you for the suggestion. I was also thinking I could add some of the extra white to the 30. Seems like a lot of white

• #156973
                                                                                                                                    Rose
                                                                                                                                    Participant

I like my towels about 20” wide, so added extra stripes across the warp. Now after watching this segment again I realize that I could have just opened up the sett! But, I think the towels would have been possibly too thin for a kitchen towel.. My towels are not asymmetrical but they are still pretty. Also, changing colors every ten picks is not happening again! Too time consuming in my opinion!
                                                                                                                                      Rose

• #156974
                                                                                                                                      jcc.evans
                                                                                                                                      Participant

can you please send me the emails for season 2. thanks.

• #156975
                                                                                                                                          Ginette
                                                                                                                                          Keymaster

Hi Jcc, I’m not sure which emails your are wanting. Is there something specific you’re looking for that we can help you with?
                                                                                                                                            Ginette

• #156976
                                                                                                                                          stephiepeterson
                                                                                                                                          Participant

Hi Jane,
                                                                                                                                            I think $75 is totally reasonable for the amazing videos you provide! And I see the price is now raised to $99. Still reasonable! I have been a subscriber, even though I don’t have a loom yet, just because I love watching you and learning you. I’m so excited that I just ordered my Louet David. It should be here by February. So, now I will go back and rewatch everything from the beginning and weave along. I’ll probably be a couple years behind, but maybe I’ll catch up someday. Thanks for the amazing instruction you provide. I really love it!

Stephanie

• #156977
                                                                                                                                              Jane
                                                                                                                                              Keymaster

Thanks Stephanie 🙂

• #156978
                                                                                                                                              jshaw234
                                                                                                                                              Participant

Hello, Im back and I can seem to get into the videos. Can you help?

• #156979
                                                                                                                                                  Ginette
                                                                                                                                                  Keymaster

Hi jshaw234, at the top of this page, are you able to see the video screen? We’ll get you sorted out and on your way to viewing the videos!

• #176465
                                                                                                                                                  Sister Janet Strong
                                                                                                                                                  Participant

august25, 2020

Just starting year two but haven’t done any of the projects. i just got a 4 shaft gilmore loom and am warping it now. How long it will take me is the question. but in spite of all, i am learning a lot and am looking forward to this year of colour and design.  Sister Janet

• #194207
                                                                                                                                                    Gisela Towner
                                                                                                                                                    Participant

Hello — I know I’m a couple of years late to the party, but is there still a yarn color list available?  😀

• #194251
                                                                                                                                                        Ginette
                                                                                                                                                        Keymaster

Hi Gisela,

For sure the yarn colour list is still available 🙂 One the JST Online Guild PDF page     you’ll find the list of all the yarns used for Seasons 2 through 4.  Also, if any new members see this and are looking for it as well, it’s also listed on one of the Welcome emails received when first joining.

Thanks for asking this by the way, it gives me a reminder that I need to update it to include Season 5!! 🙂

Just editing my comment, Season 5 yarn list is included on that PDF

• This reply was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by Ginette. Reason: not enough coffee this AM ;)
                                                                                                                                                      • #194262
                                                                                                                                                        Gisela Towner
                                                                                                                                                        Participant

Thanks so much for the quick reply, Ginette! I found it and will be digging into my stash to see which things I’ll need to buy.

You know, I’m a knitter too and yarn is like crack to an addict with me. I have no willpower when it comes to yarn.   When I first started weaving, I thought to myself– ah-ha — a way to bust some of my yarn stash.  How young and foolish I must have been (aboout 2-3 years ago) because now it seems I have ten times more and different kinds of yarn.  The stash-busting did not go as I had intended –lol    😀  😀  😀

• #194321
                                                                                                                                                            Ginette
                                                                                                                                                            Keymaster

Gisela, you’ve summed up alot of us!!

If you can use some of your stash, go for it! It’ll be great to do sampling with it 🙂

• #194877
                                                                                                                                                            Barbara G.
                                                                                                                                                            Participant

Hello!  I’m a newbie to both weaving and the online guild classes.  I’ve taken a couple of courses locally, but really enjoy working my way through these lessons.  I’m halfway through Season 1 and thinking about ordering yarn now for things that will come up in Season 2, because I have NO stash.  I have lots of knitting yarns of various types, but gather that most of these will be unusable for weaving on my Baby Wolf.  The only actual weaving yarn I have is 2 cones/colors of Maurice Brassard 2/8 Tencel (I also have the whole MB color book) and most of the Season 2 kits are sold out.   So my question is, should I buy a lot of different cones, or can I pick out some colors I like and use for multiple projects in Season 2?  Is the 2/8 Tencel (which the seller told me is the Canadian version of 8/2 – not sure that’s right) useful for any of the projects?  Any other suggestions for building a stash for Season 2?  Thanks!

Viewing 50 reply threads
                                                                                                                                                          • The forum ‘Season 2 – Colour & Design’ is closed to new topics and replies.