Thoughts on 10.5 – Collapsing a Fabric

Forums Weaving Discussion Online Guild Discussion Season 1 – Foundation Thoughts on 10.5 – Collapsing a Fabric

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Ginette
      Keymaster

Let us know your thoughts on 10.5 – Collapsing a Fabric.

lehart6
        Participant

When you gift a collapse fabric, what are the cleaning instructions you would give the new owner.
          Thanks you,
          Lynne

Jane Stafford
            Participant

Just tell the lucky recipient to wash in luke warm water, very gently, no swooshing anymore :), rinse, hand to dry.

Nancy
            Participant

Love this online Guild and love the collapse scarf! Did you use the same sett for the Zephyr and the silk?
              Many thanks,
              Nancy C.

Jane
                Keymaster

Yep, 15 EPI and PPI on both yarns 🙂
                  It looks quite open before you collapse them.
                  Glad you are enjoying the online Guild.

sengle685
                Participant

On 10.5 video – I love this technique with the scarves! In the first scarf with entire rouching, what colors are you using for warp and weft? (the hand dyed silk and the silk/merino Zephyr yarns I am assuming)

In the second scarf with the combination of rouching and squares, what are the colors in your warp? Is the warp the zephyr and the hand dyed silk?

What is the color in your weft of the linen? What is the color of what you are referring to as a ‘shrinker’ and is that the Zephyr wool/silk yarn?

On the “Collapsible Scarf’ pdf you say that the finished scarf is 12″ X 75” plus fringe. The kit says that the weaving width is “18″. Are these two different widths for the patterns?

thank you

Ginette
                    Keymaster

Hi, for the ‘Collapsible Scarf’ pdf, the weaving width of 18″ is the width of your warp when you’ll be dressing your loom. After you’ve woven & washed the scarf, you will end up with a finished dimension of 12″. Because of the fulling, your piece will loose width to create that wonderful rushing.

sengle685
                    Participant

Thank you Ginette about the width. Makes total sense now that you explained it.
                      Can you answer the questions on the colors you are using on the scarves above? Thanks again

Ginette
                        Keymaster

I’ll find out for you 🙂

Ginette
                          Keymaster

Hi sengle685,
                            Elizabeth has gotten the info on the warp & weft of the 2 scarf for you!

Scarf #1: warp: 2/30 Spun Silk colours: Violet Ice, Ivory, Green Tea & Zephyr in Suede as the shrinker yarn. Weft: 1/2 of the scarf woven with 40/2 linen in Lavender, other 1/2 of scarf with 2/20 Tussah Silk in Blue Rinse with Zephyr Indigo as the shrinker yarn.

Scarf #2: warp: 2/30 spun silk colours – Ivory, Green Tea & Violet Ice and the shrinker yarn is Zephyr Suede. Weft: Ivory 2/20 Tussah Silk.

Ginette

sengle685
                          Participant

thank you Ginette and Elizabeth!

joan horwich
                            Participant

Hi. I cannot use any wool, mohair or alpaca. I would like to experience a “collapsing” weaving. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks
                              joan

Ginette
                                Keymaster

Hi Joan, you might want to ask your question on the forum and see if any of the other members have tried something different or they may be able to give you some suggestions.

melmurter
                                Participant

I have lots of Zephyr can I use linen instead of silk as my alternating warp?
                                  thanks

Ginette
                                    Keymaster

Hi melmurter, are you able to do some sampling with the zephyr & linen before winding on a long warp? A 2 yard warp, 12 inches wide would be enough to sample with.

Viewing 7 reply threads
                                • The forum ‘Season 1 – Foundation’ is closed to new topics and replies.