Thoughts on 10.4 – Handwashing Silk Fabrics

Forums Weaving Discussion Online Guild Discussion Season 1 – Foundation Thoughts on 10.4 – Handwashing Silk Fabrics

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Ginette
      Keymaster

Let us know your thoughts on 10.4 – Handwashing Silk Fabrics.

Ellen Black
        Participant

which would be your preferred method to full a cotton shawl? by hand or machine?

Ginette
            Keymaster

Hi Ellen, I would do it by hand first and see how it turns out. As a shawl, you may not want it to fully bloom from being in the washing machine. You can always throw it in the washing machine after it’s been hand washed if you think it needs it. Hard to do the reverse if it’s been machine washed first 😉
              Ginette

momsampson
            Participant

I just finished some fabric that is cotton warp (like 10/2 boucle) and 20/2 wool for the weft. How would you full/finish this fabric? Juli

Sandra
                Keymaster

Hi Juli, I would hand wash it, in the manner of the episode where Jane fulls the mohair scarf. Just hand wash and keep an eye on how your wool is starting to pull together. Stop when you feel it fulled to where you like it. Better to under full and do it again gently, if you are looking for a tighter cloth, especially with a fabric you haven’t worked with before.

akhdoyle
                Participant

Is it possible to full a mohair blanket and/or a wool blanket in a front-loading washing machine? If so, would the process be different?

molliereddick
                  Participant

I have been weaving with Harrisville Shetland. I remember Jane saying it is soft, but I’m finding it is not. It helps when I put some un scented hair conditioner in the soaking, is there something else I can do?

Viewing 4 reply threads
                • The forum ‘Season 1 – Foundation’ is closed to new topics and replies.