Thoughts on 1.1 – Making a Good Warp – Introduction

Forums Weaving Discussion Online Guild Discussion Season 1 – Foundation Thoughts on 1.1 – Making a Good Warp – Introduction

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author
      Ginette
      Keymaster

Let us know your thoughts on 1.1 – Making a Good Warp – Introduction.

karthur114
        Participant

Even though I’ve been weaving for decades, I still learned some new things. You can teach an old dog new tricks!. But I have one question. Why the emphasis on chaining your new warp very tightly?? I always chain mine, but don’t make a point of doing it tightly???

Sandra
            Keymaster

Jane suggests chaining tightly so you can keep your warp under control as long as possible as you wind on. When it’s tight, it’s always under control when you are winding on. You can see how every warp thread just slides onto the loom in episode 1.2.

joanldanp
            Participant

Hi:
              I think I’m a member until August (I will renew for sure) – but I can’t seem to access the online 1.1 Making a Good Warp video.
              Am I doing something wrong?
              Thanks,
              Joan LeClair

Sandra
                Keymaster

Hi Joan, I was just able to access 1.1 Introduction on my iPad. Are you still having trouble? Can you watch any of the others in the Making a Good Warp episode? What happens when you try?

lsegolf
                Participant

Hi:
                  I just joined and can’t seem to get episode 1.1 to play. I am using a pc running Windows 8. When I click on the link it just doesn’t do anything. Help would be appreciated. Thanks
                  Linda Egolf

Ginette
                    Keymaster

Hi Linda, could you try in a different browser? If you’re using Chrome, try Firefox or vice versa. Let us know if you’re still having problems viewing.

jocelyn8608
                    Participant

Can I know what is the reason my warps keep twisting when I wind multiple warps? That is so frustrating. I am using large cones, unable to use cone holder to separate it. Any solution for me? Thanks!

Sandra
                        Keymaster

Have you gone back and reviewed “Warping with multiple ends in your warp” – Season 1, Episode 1.3? The Index at the top of the Episodes page has a quick way of finding out where Jane has discussed certain issues in previous episodes. Hope that helps.

rooneymt
                        Participant

I have an Ashford warping board which I do enjoy. However with the size of the pegs I have to wind the wraps in sections. The warping mills look way cool! However I was wondering if I’d be able to wind the entire warp as one piece? For instance the project I’m working on now is 6.5 yards long with 400 wraps. Would a warping mill be able to do this in one section? Or perhaps I’m better of smaller warps regardless of the type of board? Thanks so much for all the info!!!

Donna Gravesen
                          Participant

I’m unable to access videos. I’ve logged in and still get message saying to access content I must purchase membership or log in. I’ve tried logging out and back in, but continue to get same message. I can access the details about my account so I know I’m actually logged in. I just haven’t been able to view a video.

Sandra
                              Keymaster

Hi Donna. Your membership is current so the problem lies elsewhere! What device are you using? Sometimes, on other sites, I just have to reboot to try logging in again. Have you tried that? If not, Click on the little purple speech bubble at the bottom left hand corner of the website. There are some troubleshooting ideas there. If you are still having problems, let us know – we’ll try to get it solved tomorrow when the office is open.

kathleen blake
                              Participant

I just wanted to say “Thank you ” for making these videos !! You are the answer to my weaving prayers!!!! I have learned so much already. I know they can be a lot of work and I just wanted to say I really appreciate it .
                                Thanks again.

Mary Pedro
                                Participant

I am so happy I have signed up for this Guild. I took many classes during 2011-13 but did not learn half as much as I’ve learned in just Season 1. Thank you so much. I just wish I had learned to weave when I was a lot younger. Thanks Jane

Daryl
                                  Participant

Hi Jane,
                                    It is so good to see you even if I cant get “making a warp” to play yet. I had to quit weaving 6 years ago due to an injury. Now I am starting over, literally. I just dressed my Jane loom and had to use “learning to weave” page by page. Can’t believe how I have forgotten everything. (Maybe age?83) So I am going to listen to all of at least the first year of your tutorials. I am excited to start over. My first project is just an experiment so it doesn’t matter what it looks like. Just a lesson.
                                    Daryl

Ginette
                                      Keymaster

Hi Daryl, just checking to see if you’re having problems viewing Season 1 Episode 1 on Making a Warp. You mention that you can’t see it. Could you let us know what happens when you’re trying to play the videos?

laura Hansen
                                      Participant

. Hi Jane ,

I cant access the videos either, they don’t come up in dark lettering.

not too big of a deal as my FIRST  8 shaft new Baby Schacht  won’t arrive until sometime in the

covid19-free  future. They say sometime in May.

Jane, if it matters, I have a MAC OS.

Laura hansen

Neva Thiessen
                                        Participant

First of all…thank you.  The quality of these lessons  is something that I have never seen through online learning or experienced through in person lessons!  I am on my journey to become a “master weaver”.  Though there are many experienced weavers in our community/local guild, none have chosen that path.  So when I try to navigate through the HGA booklet, I am not always sure what the exact requirements mean in the written text.  Your videos, especially the one on sett, is exactly what I need.  As I get further along, I may have more specific questions.

Patricia Fear
                                          Participant

I am confused – sorry.  When making a warp usually I have my threads going over and under in sequence (unless I am doing a double cloth) on the cross sticks at the back I notice you do not – could someone tell me why?  I noticed that you are running threads in bouts of 4 with them all over or all under.  Thank you.

Ginette
                                              Keymaster

Hi Patricia,

Jane warping with 4 threads in her hand is to speed up the warping process. In the next lesson 2.4 at the 4:40 mark, she is threading the heddles where the warp was done holding 4 threads in her hand and demonstrates how she grabs those 4 threads and thread them if you want to jump to that part and have a peak. It is so much faster to make your warp with multiple threads in your hand. As for making the warp going over/under at the cross pegs, just trying to picture your method, are you using 3 pegs to create the cross? I used to do it differently until I started doing it the way Jane does but can’t quite remember how I did it before.

Marsha Hanley
                                              Participant

How do you figure how much yarn for your wrap?

Ginette
                                                  Keymaster

Hi Marsha,

If you want to jump to Episode 5.6 – Project Planning 101, Jane demonstrates all math to figure out how much yarn for projects. She goes through several samples to determine warp lengths.

Patricia Fear
                                                  Participant

Sorry but when threading the 4 warp threads from the cross (lease) sticks at the back of the loom there are 4 over the one nearest the back beam and then under the stick nearest the heddles, then the next 4 are under the cross stick at the one nearest the back beam and then over the stick nearest the heddles, if they are threaded as one in each heddle as 1, 2, 3 and 4 where is the cross for the over and under.

Ginette
                                                      Keymaster

Yes, they’ll be threaded 1, 2, 3, 4 each in their own heddle. Your 4 threads together over, 4 under creates the cross. When you’re threading each one from a group of 4 that are together, it won’t matter which is first of the 4 to be threaded to a heddle as they are so close together. This is if they all the same colour threads 🙂 Continue threading the remaining 3 threads then you move to the next bundle of 4 in your cross.  Because the cross is created to keep your threads in place, these 4 together are so close to each other that they won’t tangle or cause issues when you’re weaving. If you were making a warp with 4 threads in your hand but have different colours for your design, you would grab the colour that you need first within the 4 thread bundle and such. I hope this makes sense.

Patricia Fear
                                                      Participant

I have it now I am so slow sometimes.  I rang a friend and said it was keeping me up at night and she giggled for 5 minutes flat.  Thank you.

Marsha Hanley
                                                        Participant

What is the formula for knowing how much yarn to use for the wrap?

Thank you,

Marsha

marshahanley@yahoo.com

Sandra
                                                            Keymaster

Hi Marsha, Jane covers the details of planning your warp in Episode 5.6 – Project Planning 101… Putting it All Together – Project Planning 101.  If you haven’t reached that point yet in viewing the lessons, you’ll be there soon and all will be made clear 😉

Viewing 16 reply threads
                                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.